Author Topic: City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends  (Read 21640 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends

Changes may again be coming to Downtown parking laws, but this time it could be the final nail in the coffin for the few remaining businesses.  

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/892

reednavy

Re: City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:20:56 AM »
Can we just go ahead and do it, right now, just do it. Make a book called JACKSONVILLE: The City FAIL!

Seriously, this has got to be the 2nd best example to Detroit of a city this large absolutely f*cking up, especially the opportunities for our location, size and diversity. I practically give up on this city. They at least did sprawl just right.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:14:04 AM »
A fee for parking downtown at night?  Great. We will need 10 meter maids working 24/7 to empty all those fees from the meters and enforce the new fee structure. In fact, we should impound cars that are at expired meters.  This way, the city could get a $250.00 towing fee, plus $25 storage fee per night to deal with extra cost for the new full time meter maids needed to solve the huge night time parking problem downtown.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:23:34 AM by gatorback »
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
This is just plain stupid.  Businesses downtown should march straight into Peytons office.  I am OK with metering and fines for parking during the day but there is really no need to do so at night... UNLESS... you are trying to generate income(tax) from a specific group of people...

The urbanites have been targeted...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Tripoli1711

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 09:09:03 AM »
The lone bit of bright news I got from the story is that he is walking around City Council "looking for a sponsor".  This means, I hope, that he does not yet have one.  I pray the Council is intelligent enough to realize what a stupid idea this is.  Bob Carle is from Parking and Enforcement.  His mindset isn't what is good for the city.  His mindset is what is good for Bob Carle and his division.  This isn't the typical 'head in the sand' dumbassery of Jacksonville.. His point of view is indicative of what is wrong with government at all levels in our nation.  What is best for the city, psh!  to hell with that.  What is best for me?  Gotta love people like him.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 09:18:19 AM »
OUTRAGE! The Parking Division is out of control, an obvious loose cannon in the artillery of common sense. The idea that we have a so called Transportation Authority - without ANY authority in this is unbelievable.
BTW, shouldn't parking, walks, bikeways and paths come under transportation? They could then be joint projects of JTA-Parks, JTA-City, etc. At the very least, JTA would probably maintain the things.

As the resident TRANSIT MONSTER on these boards, I'm all in favor of cutting down the amount of parking tossed into both downtown AND places like Baymeadows/Town Center/Southpointe. Seems to me the logic is all wrong here:

1. Allow new builders into these areas without the parking requirements - provided they sign a subscription transit program agreement with the JTA for their employees. Parking must be maintained and in the end this would be a bargain for both sides.

2. Focus new parking garage efforts on the limits of the urbanized areas but not within these areas. This way park and ride in would become a fixed way of life in Jacksonville, and the immediate benefit would be to return acres of bare ground to tax based building.

3. Remove ALL PARKING meters from the city streets. This would allow the small restaurant, retail and entertainment industry to take root in both downtown and the edge city at town-center.

The end result would be density that would support life, and mass transit on a scale that we've never seen.

OCKLAWAHA

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »
After flogging, tar and feathering, and whilst still sticky, this is the photo that should be pasted to Bob Carle's nether regions...

BOB, IT'S CALLED PARK AND RIDE!

OCKLAWAHA

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »
These changes would likely end Art Walk.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
I sent my email in... >:(
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:37:45 AM »
This is truly disappointing. These parking people are killing Downtown and the sad thing is they dont realize it or just dont care! what an outrage.

uptowngirl

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »
Well it is fairly clear the city does not care about downtown, other than for the offices and workers during the day. They do not want anyone living, shopping, or eating there on the weekends or at night and if anyone dares to do so they will pay a price. But hey, maybe it will drive people out to their overdeveloped burbs……ridiculous!

Bostech

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »
This town is run by Gate and oil-based interest groups and they do not have any interest in urban lifestyle,quite opposite they want Jax to be suburban as much as posible and spend more gas.

Jax administration has been sabotaging urban projects constantly.
Legalize Marijuana,I need something to calm me down after I watch Fox News.

If Jesus was alive today,Republicans would call him gay and Democrats would put him on food stamps.

avonjax

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »
I have a suggestion....
PUT A GIANT ELECTRIC FENCE WITH MACHINE GUN TOTIN' ARMED GUARDS AROUND DOWNTOWN AND CALL IT QUITS.
WE HAVE HORRIBLE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AND MOST PEOPLE HAVE TO DRIVE DOWNTOWN ON NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE AND NOW THEY WANT TO TRY THIS GARBAGE.
THEY WILL NEVER COLLECT ANY MONEY BECAUSE DOWNTOWN ON NITES AND WEEKENDS WILL DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH.

SO WHERE IS THE POST THAT THIS IS REALLY A SILLY JOKE...
CUZ YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ABOUT THIS ONE......

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »
Don't give them ideas Stephen.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 10:39:08 AM »
Do not just complain here... send an email.

If you would like downtown parking to remain free on nights and weekends, it is important that you email the Jacksonville City Council at citycouncil@metrojacksonville.com This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it . A very short note opposing this legislation will help get their attention on this issue.

Perhaps an address for the Mayor and possibly Andy Johnson?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:46:48 AM by Lunican »