Author Topic: City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends  (Read 21644 times)

Bewler

Re: City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 02:03:41 PM »
Such as less douche bags clubbing it up at Mark’s and Dive Bar?
Conformulate. Be conformulatable! It's a perfectly cromulent deed.

avonjax

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »
there will be no marks or dive bar if this happens.....
and of course there has to be one person who can find an advantage...
So what is it Driven1?
Please share

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
Why are there parking meters on the street at all?? ???

http://www.ionet.net/~luttrell/history.html

The world's first installed parking meter was in Oklahoma City, on July 16, 1935.  Mr. Magee had been appointed to the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce traffic committee, and was assigned the task of solving the parking problems in downtown Oklahoma City. Apparently, folks who worked in the area were parking on downtown streets, staying all day, and leaving few spaces for shoppers and others who visited the central business district. 
Magee's solution was to install parking meters, charge for the use of the parking spaces, and turn over those spaces that would otherwise have been filled by all day parkers. In addition, the parking meters would generate revenue for a growing city.

If this is why Jacksonville has parking meters then it really makes no sense at all to enforce metered parking at night. :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Joe

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
You hit the nail on the head, Bridge Troll.

During the day, there's a clear purpose for meters or time limits. They prevent office workers from parking on-street all day long.

At night, there is no purpose for this what-so-ever. It makes absolutely no sense. I can't imagine even Jacksonville's city council doing something so stupid.

The only time night/weekend metering makes sense is when there is an entertainment district with a parking crunch. Very few city districts meet that criteria, and certainly none in Jacksonville.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 02:49:32 PM »
Actually, there is no clear purpose for meters in the day either. There are no stores to shop at and the meter occupancy rate is around 20% according to a JTA study.

The people lobbying for more enforcement are private parking lot owners.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »
At night, there is no purpose for this what-so-ever. It makes absolutely no sense.

Well... it does... if you think you need to tax the people who use downtown.  If someone decided that those who use the streets at night to park are a new and untapped revenue stream for the city then you enact a policy like this.

The problem (like most taxes) is that it hurts consumers and business.  Business owners need to get together to stop this...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 03:05:06 PM »
Also, does parking enforcement regularly patrol any other neighborhood?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 03:07:12 PM »
Actually, there is no clear purpose for meters in the day either. There are no stores to shop at and the meter occupancy rate is around 20% according to a JTA study.

exactly.  there is no reason to have the meters at all in downtown.  Do something half smart and pull them up to finally make the area attractive to merchants and customers.

If they remove all meters from downtown it will lead to "permanent parking" of vehicles.  What is to stop me from parking my car that doesnt work very well on a downtown street for a couple days...  I think they do serve an evil purpose during the day.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
At this point, what exactly would this theoretical car be interfering with?

Why are we creating "turnover" in front of grass fields and abandoned buildings?

Apparently the Jewelery store on the corner of Laura and Adams is the last remaining store downtown that anyone drives to in the middle of the day.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:19:25 PM by Lunican »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »

exactly.  there is no reason to have the meters at all in downtown.  Do something half smart and pull them up to finally make the area attractive to merchants and customers.

If they remove all meters from downtown it will lead to "permanent parking" of vehicles.  What is to stop me from parking my car that doesnt work very well on a downtown street for a couple days...  I think they do serve an evil purpose during the day.

The city does not have to make people pay to create turnover.  You can still enforce time limits without meters

Downtown Raleigh

Savannah's main retail street offers free time limited parking

Downtown Greenville offers free on-street parking

We can still have turnover without penalizing people for visiting downtown businesses.  These three cities above are examples of this.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »
It's hard to make a case for turnover when half of downtown looks like this:

Why exactly are those meters there?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:25:13 PM by Lunican »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 04:21:18 PM »
I think they are waiting on the courthouse?

Btw, you need an updated image.  The 100 year old buildings in the background were ripped down a few months ago.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2008, 08:33:51 PM »
I think they are waiting on the courthouse?

Btw, you need an updated image.  The 100 year old buildings in the background were ripped down a few months ago.

:(

uptowngirl

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »
I just read where the city council just voted tonight to ease up restrictions on homeless feedings too, even the non profits are against this- this just may be the death of downtown.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
To Whom It May Concern-

If Jacksonville is ever to become an advanced and respected metropolitan area those in charge must make decisions to allow for growth and development in the urban core. I'm writing because I've caught wind of possible legislation to impose more stringent parking fees downtown, which would effectively kill business growth in the core. Please please do not allow this to happen. I am a proud Jax native who has since moved far away, but hope to return someday to a bustling and lively cosmopolitan city (we can all dream). I implore you to keep Jacksonville moving in the right direction. The first step? If not eliminating parking meters altogether, at least vote against additional fees or expanded hours.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Maxwell Lee