Author Topic: City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends  (Read 21641 times)

konstantconsumer

Re: City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 10:54:33 AM »
Here is what I sent:

I am writing to encourage you to vote against any new downtown parking policy that would enforce metered parking after 5 pm on weekdays and on the weekends.  This would devastate many downtown businesses, especially restaurants that are trying to bring life and new customers to downtown.  I am in law school, so I spend many weekends at the lovely new downtown library, often for up to 4 hours at a time.  Additionally, I wait tables at Chew.  It would be extremely inconvenient to have to move my car every hour when studying.  Additionally, it would discourage customers from eating at Chew, or many other downtown restaurants, if there was concern about a car being ticketed or towed.

Often, public officials talk an excellent game about downtown development, but their policies and voting record do not correspond.  Those of us who work and spend time downtown are the ones who end up paying the price.

Thank you,

Adam
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." ~Oscar Wilde

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
I gotta tell you I really liked konstantconsumer's wording.  Can we use that as a form letter to send on to Peyton and everyone else on the city council?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

uptowngirl

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
I am writing to encourage you to vote against any new downtown parking policy that would enforce metered parking after 5 pm on weekdays and on the weekends.  This would devastate many downtown businesses, especially restaurants that are trying to bring life and new customers to downtown.  I live downtown, so I spend many weekends at the lovely new downtown library, eat and shop downtown often for up to 4 hours at a time. It would be extremely inconvenient to have to move my car every hour when partaking of downtowns current offerrings.  Additionally, it would discourage customers from eating at many other downtown restaurants, if there was concern about a car being ticketed or towed.

Often, public officials talk an excellent game about downtown development, but their policies and voting record do not correspond.  Those of us who work, live, and spend time downtown are the ones who end up paying the price.

Thank you,

I have no problem with plagerism LOL!!!

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »
you may add my name to the list.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

uptowngirl

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
I can not get the city council link to work. I tried everything, inlcuding what was posted I don"t get it  >:(

mccorkle

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
How is Bob Carle proposing that his changes would benefit the people, business, building owners?  Does anyone have a link to his proposal so we can read it? 

If the proposal actually claims to do something good for downtown, perhaps we could recommend something just as good that doesn't alienate the few customers that spend time and money downtown?

uptowngirl

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
it kicks it back as undeliverable, I may have to try a different email carrier

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »
City wants to ticket on Nights and Weekends

Changes may again be coming to Downtown parking laws, but this time it could be the final nail in the coffin for the few remaining businesses. 

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/892

*Eyes closed, shaking head violently*
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

rjp2008

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 12:36:40 PM »
Why don't we offer them a compromise - all ticket proceeds will go towards light rail development, extending the Skyway further, and/or developing the S line.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
Why don't we offer them a compromise - all ticket proceeds will go towards light rail development, extending the Skyway further, and/or developing the S line.

That would be good except no one will be parking downtown at night anymore to give tickets to...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Bewler

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »
If this is to go in effect, about how many people might it take to park downtown with the intent on receiving a parking ticket at night only to rip them up and throw them on the street in protest, to make a difference?

Or start a petition encouraging everyone who receives a ticket not to pay.

I guess I’m being overdramatic, sorry but I’m upset. This is very discouraging.
Conformulate. Be conformulatable! It's a perfectly cromulent deed.

jacksonvilleconfidential

• Jacksonville Confidential
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
Absolute Lunacy.
Sarcastic and Mean Spirited

rjp2008

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »
What would it take to enact a de-consolidation?

Jax city council is WAY too powerful. If downtown wants to separate itself from the world, so be it - De-Consolidate!

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
What is the position of JEDC and DVI on this issue? Shouldn't they be on top of something like this?

Driven1

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »
have we looked at the possible ADVANTAGES of operational meters at night?