Author Topic: Solar power cost calculator  (Read 6659 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Solar power cost calculator
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
Considering solar for your home or business?

Find out how much it will cost.

Find out how much you will save.

Find out how long it will take to break even.

http://findsolar.com/index.php?page=rightforme
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

alta

Re: Solar power cost calculator
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »
I would like to install a solar system but still cost prohibitive.  I'm sure it will come down in the next couple of years.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
That is what I have seen also...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »
If the State would up their incentives packages, these systems would be much easier to afford.

Imagine every home in the state crankin' out their own power with a utility connection to pick up the slack.  There would be a lot less complaining about utility rates and many many less would suffer the extended outages caused by hurricanes.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
If the State would up their incentives packages, these systems would be much easier to afford.

Imagine every home in the state crankin' out their own power with a utility connection to pick up the slack.  There would be a lot less complaining about utility rates and many many less would suffer the extended outages caused by hurricanes.

They could... and may.  But... you are the "state" and will pay for it either at one end or the other...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
I am surprised there has not been more enthusiasm for or comments on this calculator.  There are many people on this site who are very pro solar.  I am one of these.  I was hoping someone would have used the calculator and say they were going to get one installed.  My guess is that the enthusiasm wilts when confronted with reality.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »

Midway ®

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
Here is a link to a supplier of these systems and components with prices:

http://www.mrsolar.com/

chipwich

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »
I would love to get a solar system for my home.  It's the right thing to do for the city (by reducing pollution, emissions, decreasing strain on JEA) and environmentally.

At this time, the most advanced solar panel is only about 23% efficient at converting the sun's rays into electricity.  The cost of a system (as estimated on the initial link) is very cost prohibitive for me. 

I think like others, I am waiting for systems to become more efficient and powerful.  I also assume the price of solar systems will continue to decrease over the next few years.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »
But there are some who feel that it is the right thing to do despite the cost.  I am not one of those but there seems to be many who feel this way...

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »
I feel it is the right thing to do but can't afford the cost!

I've also used other calculators in the past and all have told me that its cost prohibitive.  Although, the link you posted is the best I've seen so far.  I need to get my utility bill out and see if its more accurate.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
For me it takes about 20 years to break even.  The problem THEN is the life cycle for these systems is around 25 years... So after 5 yeras of free energy a must shell out a huge chunk of cash to replace it...

lindab

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »
The calculator makes a couple of questionable assumptions.  The big one is the low figure for the rate of increase in the cost for KWHs.  I think our electric rates will go up much faster.  Also, houses with low energy consumption and solar panels and solar hot water heaters will go up in value faster than others too.

Cost for the solar cells will come down some with the new technologies that use less silicon, but they will probably take more square feet of space as they are less efficient.

Alas, grid-tied P/V systems cannot be used for power during a hurricane-caused power outage.  Grid tied inverters will only work when they sense 60 cycle voltage on their output side.  I guess you could put a standard inverter in the system in addition to the grid-tied inverter with a switching method to move the solar panel's power over but, $$$$$$!  Generator would be cheaper.

Remember, first step in going solar is to install a solar hot water heater.  After heating/air-conditioning it is the second largest consumer of power or gas in your home.

lindab

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
Also, warranty for panels is 25 years.  Actual life span is unknown, but is estimated to be 35-40 years.  Lifespan of solar hot water heaters is indefinite.  There are 70 year old units still working fine....no moving parts.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »
I am looking closer at the hot water heater option.  It seems a bit more doable but also still seems to be quite an investment with a break even point quite a ways down the road...

Am still surprised no one on this site has decided to make the move... hmmmm...