Author Topic: Durbin Park: NE Florida's Next Retail Mecca Takes Shape  (Read 23020 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Durbin Park: NE Florida's Next Retail Mecca Takes Shape
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »
Durbin Park: NE Florida's Next Retail Mecca Takes Shape

The Pavilion, the $125 million first phase of the much anticipated Durbin Park development by Gate Petroleum and Gatlin Development, is now underway.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-feb-durbin-park-ne-floridas-next-retail-mecca-takes-shape

pierre

Re: Durbin Park: NE Florida's Next Retail Mecca Takes Shape
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
I wonder when the Racetrack Road/95 overpass will be widened.

fsquid

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:09:34 AM »
I wonder when the Racetrack Road/95 overpass will be widened.

I think its on the books for a few years down the road.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »
I sure hope they make ingress and egress hellish. It just won't seem like Jacksonville if it doesn't copy that design concept from the Town Center.

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »
RIP Fruit Cove 

As I've said before; St Johns Town Center 2: Bigger, Badder, and Closer to Home

remc86007

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »
That park in the cover photo would look great if it didn't have roads between the shops, sidewalks, and park. Why can't this just be a safe walkable area with roads on the other side of the buildings?

fsquid

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
RIP Fruit Cove 

Unsure how much Fruit Cove will be effected by this.  I think of Fruit Cove of the homes along 13.  This is mainly over by 95 and Race Track.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
That park in the cover photo would look great if it didn't have roads between the shops, sidewalks, and park. Why can't this just be a safe walkable area with roads on the other side of the buildings?

It's essentially a better version of a traditional public square like Hemming Park. The roads appear to be single lane with parallel parking and bulb outs for traffic calming.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

remc86007

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
RIP Fruit Cove 

Unsure how much Fruit Cove will be effected by this.  I think of Fruit Cove of the homes along 13.  This is mainly over by 95 and Race Track.

I think of "downtown Fruit Cove" (it's funny to me even typing that) as where racetrack meets 13 (not further south; that area, at least past Roberts road, becomes Switzerland). It's interesting to note that the only major commercial development in that area in the past 15 years is also a Gate project.

As far as the RIP comment; the traffic in that area has been awful for the past five years during peak times. I don't think this new project will affect that area as much as it will potentially lighten the load on San Jose Blvd. on weekend afternoons and heavily increase the traffic along Bartram Park and Old St. Augustine.

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:35 PM »
RIP Fruit Cove 

Well the boundaries are sort of blurred since the county renamed the general area St Johns. I would still think of Racetrack west of 95 as Fruit Cove. Along 13 south of Roberts road is actually Switzerland. (Probably soon to be renamed something like Bartram Oaks) Regardless of any specific delineation the whole of extreme Northwest SJC will always be Fruit Cove to me.

I think of "downtown Fruit Cove" (it's funny to me even typing that) as where racetrack meets 13 (not further south; that area, at least past Roberts road, becomes Switzerland). It's interesting to note that the only major commercial development in that area in the past 15 years is also a Gate project.

As far as the RIP comment; the traffic in that area has been awful for the past five years during peak times. I don't think this new project will affect that area as much as it will potentially lighten the load on San Jose Blvd. on weekend afternoons and heavily increase the traffic along Bartram Park and Old St. Augustine.

I was speaking more to the progressive degradation of the rural character of the area from explosive development. I fondly remember the Fruit Cove of 1999 I thought I was living in the sticks and you saw more trees than houses along Racetrack. But It think you maybe underestimating the draw to  SJTC2:BBCTH(Durbin Park) from other areas like Mandarin and even further. Given the choice of fighting JTB traffic or zipping down to Racetrack, I think many along San Jose would rather go south. I don't think SJC realizes the substantial amount of out-of-county patrons this place will attract.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 09:52:57 PM »
I think they realize it and are actively wishing for as much traffic as possible. It would mean the development is a success, creating more jobs and generating more property taxe revenue for them.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsquid

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »
Switzerland, that's right.  My bad.

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
I think they realize it and are actively wishing for as much traffic as possible. It would mean the development is a success, creating more jobs and generating more property taxe revenue for them.

Sure, that's what the Commission wants. Is that what the citizenry wants?

pierre

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »

Sure, that's what the Commission wants. Is that what the citizenry wants?

Unfortunately, I think it is.

Not me personally. But I have countless number of friends, family, co-workers, etc. that get excited by this stuff. They accept the traffic if it means more Targets, Paneras and Home Depots.

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »
Switzerland, that's right.  My bad.

oh wait never mind. I forgot that they renamed Switzerland and Orangedale to Rivertown.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/new-development-will-bring-close-to-five-thousand-homes-to-st-johns-county/414494173