Author Topic: Upcoming concerts at Daily's Place  (Read 67474 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Upcoming concerts at Daily's Place
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
I have a forum suggestion:

A thread about upcoming concerts to Dailys Place.

And a seperate thread full of snarky comments about how overrated an act is that is playing at Daily's Place.

Can we have a third thread for judgmental handwringing about the snarky comments?
That's reserved for the fourth thread. The third thread will be for people who are fans of the acts booked at Daily's Place. And then we can have a fifth thread for snarky handwringing about judgmental comments.

Kinda makes you nostalgic for APL, huh?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Snaketoz

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »
I have a forum suggestion:

A thread about upcoming concerts to Dailys Place.

And a seperate thread full of snarky comments about how overrated an act is that is playing at Daily's Place.

Can we have a third thread for judgmental handwringing about the snarky comments?
That's reserved for the fourth thread. The third thread will be for people who are fans of the acts booked at Daily's Place. And then we can have a fifth thread for snarky handwringing about judgmental comments.
And there will need to be a sixth thread about how the Daily's venue is not as good as the place someone saw the act in previously.  Yeah, a thread about why Daily's Place is bad compared to ____________ (fill in the blank)

remc86007

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 01:01:21 PM »
I bet 400M of those views are from people who watched it to see a scantily clad Chrissy Teegan. 
I'm sure you're right.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
Kinda makes you nostalgic for APL, huh?

He sent me a private message- you guys can catch him at the John Legend show

;D

KenFSU

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »
It's a small thing, but I love how Bold Events gives custom, personalized Jags jerseys to every artist who plays at Daily's Place. If you follow Daily's Place on Twitter, you'll see the pics, and you'll often see some of the artists perform in them:

Smart marketing.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 05:01:19 AM »
It's a small thing, but I love how Bold Events gives custom, personalized Jags jerseys to every artist who plays at Daily's Place. If you follow Daily's Place on Twitter, you'll see the pics, and you'll often see some of the artists perform in them:

Smart marketing.

Are they trying to keep them from coming back or something?

downtownbrown

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »
I'm sure the experience is different depending on where your seat is, but if you are on the right side, second level, the sound is awful.  Way too much bass, not enough midrange.  Can't understand lyrics.  In general, too much volume for the space.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
I had some family go there recently and they complained that it was really hot / there was little to no circulation. Can anyone speak to this? I'd imagine if the next phase includes the covered pedestrian section on the downtown side of the venue like the renderings it would block more sunlight / cool down those seats during the evening in the summer.

KenFSU

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »
Not specifically related to Daily's Place, but the Killers just announced their new tour.

Atlanta, Orlando, and Miami only right now, but I'm hoping they add a stop at Veterans Memorial.

http://pitchfork.com/news/the-killers-announce-2018-tour/

jaxjaguar

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »
They're playing at hard Rock live here in Orlando, which is the exact same capacity as Daily's Place.

spuwho

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »
I had some family go there recently and they complained that it was really hot / there was little to no circulation. Can anyone speak to this? I'd imagine if the next phase includes the covered pedestrian section on the downtown side of the venue like the renderings it would block more sunlight / cool down those seats during the evening in the summer.

It wasnt the sun so much as the lack of air movement after 7pm. The bathrooms have no air at all and going in during an intermission, you come out looking like you dribbled on yourself when its actually the sweat.

Its really simple, put in slient blowers under the first deck that creates air movement over the main floor. Thats it.

As far as the bathrooms go, I was told that was being addressed.

As for the sound, it all looks very temporary at the moment. I wouldnt be surprised if the current arrangement get revised when the concerts stop in November.

On the sound, there are many variables that can impact sound quality at an outdoor venue. Humidity, number of people present, type of music involved, even the wind blowing can change outdoor acoustics.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 06:43:11 PM »
I was also at 3EB and noticed that the opening act was very 'trebly' and crackly, SSPU's sound was spot on, and 3EB was just overpowering all the way around.

So when I went to the Incubus show I was already paying more attention, but I thought the sound for all 3 acts at that show was really good.

I would lean toward each individual board guy being the reason that the sound was good or not.  And to Spuwho's point, I don't know how much different the outside conditions would make things from an afternoon soundcheck (if they're even doing those) to the evening concert.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

jaxjaguar

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »

It wasnt the sun so much as the lack of air movement after 7pm. The bathrooms have no air at all and going in during an intermission, you come out looking like you dribbled on yourself when its actually the sweat.

Its really simple, put in slient blowers under the first deck that creates air movement over the main floor. Thats it.

As far as the bathrooms go, I was told that was being addressed.

As for the sound, it all looks very temporary at the moment. I wouldnt be surprised if the current arrangement get revised when the concerts stop in November.

On the sound, there are many variables that can impact sound quality at an outdoor venue. Humidity, number of people present, type of music involved, even the wind blowing can change outdoor acoustics.
AC in the bathrooms or fans at the very least sounds pretty obvious. Glad to hear that being addressed.

As for circulation in the venue do you think those massive warehouse ceiling fans would work? Seems like this is something that can be overlooked in the first year, but needs to be addressed quickly. A lot of these acts draw older audiences and they don't put up with the heat as much as the Rockville crowd

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »
I'm still waiting for them to book an act I'd pay to see.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

spuwho

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »

I would lean toward each individual board guy being the reason that the sound was good or not.  And to Spuwho's point, I don't know how much different the outside conditions would make things from an afternoon soundcheck (if they're even doing those) to the evening concert.

Afternoon soundcheck.....no one in the seats.  Less sound absorption.

Evening concert......seats are full. Different sound involved.

Correct on the sound guy/girl and their level of expertise. It takes more than to simply know the songs and the settings, you have to learn to adjust to your conditions.

Also, if the knob man likes to run his system "hot" and its also hot outside, you can get sound variations in speakers, especially if the magnets/fluid gets superhot.  I assume the amp rack is in a temp controlled room backstage.

I did several tours of the US as a sound engineer and studied acoustics.  I also managed a few outdoor stages in my life and have seen many bonehead engineers make some poor choices. But I was fortunate to see and learn from some of the better traveling engineers of the time.  Yes, I know Project Maximus, yet one more thing in my life.

With the capacity the digital mixing world brings, it allows for some great tools at hand, but one still has to understand how sound works.