Author Topic: City set to approve grants for Barnett Bank, Laura Street Trio  (Read 25802 times)

Westside Guy

Re: City set to approve grants for Barnett Bank, Laura Street Trio
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »
Does anyone know if the plans included replacing the Jacksonville sign on the Laura Street Trio (the one that the city blasted off)? I recall someone from the city telling me that it would cost about $50,000 to replace it. I know it's a bit nitpicky but if the buildings do get renovated I would like to see that back.
You mean the old Jacksonville National Bank sign?

I doubt it. I think it was only on the building during the 1970s and early 80s.  It definitely wasn't an original part of the building and was gone once NCNB took over.

That could be it, but I swear I remember seeing pictures of it on the Florida Life Building and someone mentioning on this forum that the city blasted it off with explosives because they were concerned it would fall and hurt someone.  Perhaps that is it and I am remembering it incorrectly, its been a while since I was told about it.

KenFSU

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »
You might be thinking of the corner pilasters of the Florida Life building.

They were removed by Nations Bank in 1994 after a piece fell the street below.

Westside Guy

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »

That's it! I was starting to think I was going crazy as I was looking for a picture of it last night for 30 minutes.  Where did you find that picture?

KenFSU

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »

That's it! I was starting to think I was going crazy as I was looking for a picture of it last night for 30 minutes.  Where did you find that picture?

No prob, friend!

Here are the details:

http://www.prairieschooltraveler.com/html/fl/floridalife/Florida-life.html

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
Yes, they will be reconstructed.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
A couple of stray thoughts/questions:

1) If this project moves forward, or dare I say, when this project moves forward, does it force the city's hand a bit when it comes to doing something with Hemming Park? If I'm investing nearly $10 million of public money in this project, do I want the Marriott's rooftop bar overlooking current Hemming?

2) To that effect, if I'm the city, the minute that I see work begin, I'm doubling down efforts to find a buyer for Snyder Memorial willing to turn it into a restaurant/bar.

3) Speaking of restaurants, between Cowford Chophouse, Bullbriar, and Black Sheep's new downtown venture, we're looking at having Ian Lynch, Scott Schwartz, and Jon Insetta all cooking within two blocks of each other. Throw in the Marriott's restaurant and rooftop bar, and you're potentially looking at a legitimate little area for destination dining.

4) That said, I'd love to see something more affordable in the area as well. Would be great to see a Panera Bread, for example, as the retail anchor of the parking garage, opening up to the public greenspace/sculpture park on the corner of Laura & Forsyth. It's a chain, but it's the type of place that people are prone to visit regularly throughout the day and hang out at. Atkins has mentioned in the past that Panera is interested in being a part of the project, it'd be cool to see it happen.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2017, 10:34:40 PM »
1. For a few years, I had an office on the 8th floor of the old Atlantic Bank Annex. Hemming looks pretty good from up there. I'm not sure the Trio will have an impact on a decision to clean it up or not. It seems like Curry's administration is already committed to improving Hemming.

2. It would be nice to see a RFP issued for the Snyder. It's been a long time coming.

4. My Jax office is now on the 8th floor of the original Atlantic Bank Building. There's lots of affordable places down here now. They just happen to not be chains. Isn't the FSCJ restaurant in 20 West Adams going to be similar to the Panera concept?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
^2. There was talk of an RFP for Synder about 8 months ago (https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=547625), but I'm not sure if anything ever came of it. Seems like it would be a lot more viable if the Trio moves forward.

4. Yeah, you're right. Just hope the hours are similar.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
1.  I was looking at buying the apartments that Ron Chamblin now owns (323 Laura?) and the view from the third floor down to hemming was gorgeous.  The shade trees cover more from the above view than you would think.  Still wish that project would have worked out for us, but I'm excited to see what Ron does with it.

FlaBoy

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
^2. There was talk of an RFP for Synder about 8 months ago (https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=547625), but I'm not sure if anything ever came of it. Seems like it would be a lot more viable if the Trio moves forward.

4. Yeah, you're right. Just hope the hours are similar.

I think a restaurant/bar/music venue would be nice there. The music scene really is hot now since that is the main source of income for most bands. With the amphitheater, Mavericks, 1904, etc, that would be a cool spot for something like that.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
A music venue is the perfect fit for this property IMO. The inside is beautiful and would create a unique setting unlike anywhere else in Jax. It would be a perfect fit for a lot of the acts that play at Ponte Vedra Music Hall, which is in the middle of no where.

johnnyliar

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
A music venue is the perfect fit for this property IMO. The inside is beautiful and would create a unique setting unlike anywhere else in Jax. It would be a perfect fit for a lot of the acts that play at Ponte Vedra Music Hall, which is in the middle of no where.
The PVCH comparison is great.
It's a real bummer going to shows out there and seeing 50% of the people are people i recognize from around town. It would do so much better in town.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »
Looks like we might finally be launched and on the way with the Trio and the Barnett; I certainly hope so. It's really about time.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

KenFSU

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
Question for anyone who might know:

I keep hearing that Jacksonville's Historic Preservation Trust Fund isn't replenishable.

Where did that ~$4.5 million currently in the fund originally come from? Did someone just throw a lump sum in the pot one year when times were good, or were a series of regular contributions made by the city that were eventually stopped?

What would be necessary to start rebuilding that fund in the event that this project happens and the trust is depleted?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:53:56 PM by KenFSU »

vicupstate

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
^^ As I remember it was a one time lump sum. I want to say Mayor Delaney set the money aside. It was about 3-5 times that amount originally but most of teh money was spent years ago. Only $4.5 million remains.  When Matt Carlucci ran for Mayor, he wanted to make another big lump contribution, but of course, he lost to Peyton.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln