Author Topic: Discussion: Trolling, Forum Rules and Posting Materials  (Read 30220 times)

TimmyB

• T
Re: Discussion: Trolling, Forum Rules and Posting Materials
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »
Right now 13 of 20 forum threads are clogging up the discussion that is  focused on local issues. I thought at one point, moderators weren't allowing topics in the politics section to show up on the homepage. If you wanted to discussion national political issues, you had to actually go to that section.

The "Latest from the Forum" newsletters that MetroJax sends out also read like our Aunt's Facebook wall and probably does more to discourage engagement or re-engagement than they do to encourage it.

Personally, I've always been of the mind that, even though I've been posting here for over a decade now, it's not my site, I don't pay the server bills, and the owners are free to run the site in whatever fashion that they'd like. If they're comfortable with all the intermingling of the National Politics and local interest stories, more power to them. Navigating around it is a small price to pay for the invaluable service this site has offered over the years. But, as I've said in the past, I do believe that it's divisive and can drive people away. This is unfortunate, as we're all ultimately here for the same reason, and there aren't nearly enough like us in Jacksonville to begin with.

To me, a better solution to outright banning people with controversial opinions would be to simply enact a daily new-post limit in the national politics section. By limiting the amount of new topics that users can create in national politics to one or two a day, you minimize spam posts, reduce front-page clutter, and force people to think a little more carefully before copying and pasting post after post.

Also, if you pine for vintage MetroJacksonville, don't forget to bookmark ModernCities.com. It's an amazing site, and you can usually find Ennis' stuff a day or two earlier than it appears on MetroJax ;)

Help me out (again!), please.  Is ModernCities a Jax only site?  If so, is it basically the same thing as MJ, just without a forum?

acme54321

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »
. I thought at one point, moderators weren't allowing topics in the politics section to show up on the homepage. If you wanted to discussion national political issues, you had to actually go to that section.

I though so as well. I'll check on this.

Please and thank you!

Gunnar

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 05:16:05 AM »
I remember when MJ and forum conversations were more about development, construction, transportation and local issues. In the past couple of years it has been taken over by national issues and trolls. I would be willing to pay a small usage fee to get back to an MJ focused on local development when the spirited conversations with Lake about building height and traffic didn't end with demoralizing comments about groups of people and other diatribe.

Yeah, those were the good days!

I've been reading the posts on MJ for years, have been a member for several.  I post very sparingly, and to me, there are trolls of many colors.  Some like to argue about the posts, some the posters themselves.  Banning posts from people we don't agree with is wrong.  I'd rather let them rant and be ignored by the mainstream posters than be censored.  Don't respond to the trolls.  They are no worse than the posters that think themselves the critics.  If you saw a mentally challenged person ranting and raving on the street, most likely you would ignore them and keep walking.  Anyone who says that the Pulse victims "got what they deserved", should be ignored also.

I'm not advocating banning posts from people I disagree with. Maybe in an effort to discourage posters from just trying to get attention, it is time to get rid of the "Latest Discussion" section on the homepage. Right now 13 of 20 forum threads are clogging up the discussion that is  focused on local issues. I thought at one point, moderators weren't allowing topics in the politics section to show up on the homepage. If you wanted to discussion national political issues, you had to actually go to that section.

Please do - that would be great ! This way, if people want to discuss (national) politics they can, but the threads won't clutter the front page as IMHO, this drags down overall quality and could give new site visitors who open the front page the wrong for the first time the wrong impression.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 07:02:21 AM »
I remember when MJ and forum conversations were more about development, construction, transportation and local issues. In the past couple of years it has been taken over by national issues and trolls. I would be willing to pay a small usage fee to get back to an MJ focused on local development when the spirited conversations with Lake about building height and traffic didn't end with demoralizing comments about groups of people and other diatribe.

Yeah, those were the good days!

I've been reading the posts on MJ for years, have been a member for several.  I post very sparingly, and to me, there are trolls of many colors.  Some like to argue about the posts, some the posters themselves.  Banning posts from people we don't agree with is wrong.  I'd rather let them rant and be ignored by the mainstream posters than be censored.  Don't respond to the trolls.  They are no worse than the posters that think themselves the critics.  If you saw a mentally challenged person ranting and raving on the street, most likely you would ignore them and keep walking.  Anyone who says that the Pulse victims "got what they deserved", should be ignored also.

I'm not advocating banning posts from people I disagree with. Maybe in an effort to discourage posters from just trying to get attention, it is time to get rid of the "Latest Discussion" section on the homepage. Right now 13 of 20 forum threads are clogging up the discussion that is  focused on local issues. I thought at one point, moderators weren't allowing topics in the politics section to show up on the homepage. If you wanted to discussion national political issues, you had to actually go to that section.

Please do - that would be great ! This way, if people want to discuss (national) politics they can, but the threads won't clutter the front page as IMHO, this drags down overall quality and could give new site visitors who open the front page the wrong for the first time the wrong impression.

I agree. I think it would be better for the site - and it would make me feel less guilty about contributing to these threads.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
You guys have spoken! should be fixed now.

Help me out (again!), please.  Is ModernCities a Jax only site?  If so, is it basically the same thing as MJ, just without a forum?

It's extremely more niche focused, specializing on urban planning, history, community building and living oriented content with an extra level of background research incorporated. Sort of like Petsmart compared to Publix offering dog food and pet supplies on one aisle of a 45,000 square foot store. While both are retailers, they specialize in two different areas. For me, ModernCities is an attempt to basically, focus and expand on what you're good at and stay away from everything else that could make you lose your core reason for blogging in the first place. So yeah, there's no forum like MJ on ModernCities. 

Launched in April 2016, ModernCities ( http://www.moderncities.com/ ) highlights projects and innovative community building concepts from around the country that could be applicable in any community. For example, today's article is a placemaking story about what the Milwaukee Bucks are doing around their arena (http://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-jan-milwaukee-bucks-enter-the-placemaking-business) . While the focus is highlighting Milwaukee's work, interested people in communities like Jax, may benefit from the info as the city works with the Jags to improve the area around EverBank Field.

With that said, there's also a TransformJax page (http://www.moderncities.com/transform-jax), which is where I've been uploading my original local content as a "placeholder" since late May 2016.  Recently, I've been reposting some of those local stories here to keep the MJ front page fresh with quality content. Like the ModernCities concept, it's more niche focused topics that don't necessarily mix well with stuff like national politics and local political statements.  Since new articles are uploaded daily, it's grown a lot over the last few months and may be rebranded/modified pretty soon to become more interactive for the end user, without taking away the purpose and intent of the ModernCities page.

Hopefully, that helps!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:42:35 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »

It's extremely more niche focused, specializing on urban planning, history, community building and living oriented content with an extra level of background research incorporated. Sort of like Petsmart compared to Publix offering dog food and pet supplies on one aisle of a 45,000 square foot store. While both are retailers, they specialize in two different areas. For me, ModernCities is an attempt to basically, focus and expand on what you're good at and stay away from everything else that could make you lose your core reason for blogging in the first place. So yeah, there's no forum like MJ on ModernCities. 

Launched in April 2016, ModernCities ( http://www.moderncities.com/ ) highlights projects and innovative community building concepts from around the country that could be applicable in any community. For example, today's article is a placemaking story about what the Milwaukee Bucks are doing around their arena (http://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-jan-milwaukee-bucks-enter-the-placemaking-business) . While the focus is highlighting Milwaukee's work, interested people in communities like Jax, may benefit from the info as the city works with the Jags to improve the area around EverBank Field.

With that said, there's also a TransformJax page (http://www.moderncities.com/transform-jax), which is where I've been uploading my original local content as a "placeholder" since late May 2016.  Recently, I've been reposting some of those local stories here to keep the MJ front page fresh with quality content. Like the ModernCities concept, it's more niche focused topics that don't necessarily mix well with stuff like national politics and local political statements.  Since new articles are uploaded daily, it's grown a lot over the last few months and may be rebranded/modified pretty soon to become more interactive for the end user, without taking away the purpose and intent of the ModernCities page.

Hopefully, that helps!

That helps immensely!  Thanks for filling me in.

Noone

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »

Hopefully, that helps!

+1

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
Here's my take. I consider the national politics threads to be secondary to the discussions of Jax, which are really something you can't get anywhere else, and the reason most of us come here. I've always disliked that they get so heated and strident, I think it takes away from the forum and community. It's wise that the sections can't be seen by non-registered people and that it won't be on the front page anymore.

The problem with APL is not his leanings, but the fact that he's just an annoying troll. He adds nothing to the forum and isn't even interest in discussion. He's just here to start fights with inflammatory comments, insult people, and generally sow discord. Even we regulars do sometimes have problems keeping things civil and avoiding tangents and this can sometimes turn people off of the site and community. But those are example where things just go off the rails. With Aldermanparklover, it's the whole MO. No one makes posts like that when they want to have a real discussion, or provide "balance". They're specifically constructed to draw emotional responses and start shit fights. And when it's happening 20 times a day or more, it crowds out other discussion. I would think his racist and overtly homophobic comments, and his tendency to verbally attack people, would be grounds for banning on their own even without the fact that trolling degrades the forum.

You can tell APL didn't want his threads to start real discussions, because whenever anyone engaged him in that way, he fled the scene. Here, he didn't actually want to talk about the biological origins of homosexual orientation, he just wanted to derail a thread and make comments about how homosexuality is a "disorder" that should be "cured". After this, he abandoned ship to create more troll posts. I amused myself calling out his trolling and making image macros that pissed him off, but it got to a point that a number of contributors said they were avoiding the site due to APL's actions. It added nothing and just detracted from the real discussions people come here for.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
It is strange that our guest of honor, APL, is suddenly absent.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
forever hopefully