Author Topic: Discussion: Trolling, Forum Rules and Posting Materials  (Read 30355 times)

spuwho

Discussion: Trolling, Forum Rules and Posting Materials
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »
With the arrival of APL on the discussion boards, there seems to be a lively back and forth on whether the content is drivel, worthy of discussion  or a violation of forum rules.

While I cant find a violation of the rules, some of the topics are written in a way to promote (provoke) s9me kind of response.

In my life on MJ, there have at times been provoking subject lines, posted materials, or links to articles that perscribe to a particular POV.

Some are eloquent, some are less so.

Does a different POV really constitute trolling? What would someone expect to make a supporting discussion in a blog more than just an attention getter?

TimmyB

• T
Re: Discussion: Trolling, Forum Rules and Posting Materials
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »
You think he hasn't violated rules?  Saying that gay people deserved to be massacred because of their beliefs isn't enough for that?  Sorry, but when I read this, I realized this person isn't worthy of any civilized discussion, so I don't respond to any of his posts, no matter how revolting or insulting they are to me.  This guy's account should be deleted.  End of.

"Keep telling yourself that ... The gay community got everything it deserved at Pulse on account they predominantly vote in national elections based on social issues instead of national issues. Hopefully this wakes more gay people up that not being massacred is more important than wedding cakes.""

spuwho

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
You think he hasn't violated rules?  Saying that gay people deserved to be massacred because of their beliefs isn't enough for that?  Sorry, but when I read this, I realized this person isn't worthy of any civilized discussion, so I don't respond to any of his posts, no matter how revolting or insulting they are to me.  This guy's account should be deleted.  End of.

"Keep telling yourself that ... The gay community got everything it deserved at Pulse on account they predominantly vote in national elections based on social issues instead of national issues. Hopefully this wakes more gay people up that not being massacred is more important than wedding cakes.""

I am not the moderator, but please post a link that your quote references.

brainstormer

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
I remember when MJ and forum conversations were more about development, construction, transportation and local issues. In the past couple of years it has been taken over by national issues and trolls. I would be willing to pay a small usage fee to get back to an MJ focused on local development when the spirited conversations with Lake about building height and traffic didn't end with demoralizing comments about groups of people and other diatribe.

jaxjags

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
I remember when MJ and forum conversations were more about development, construction, transportation and local issues. In the past couple of years it has been taken over by national issues and trolls. I would be willing to pay a small usage fee to get back to an MJ focused on local development when the spirited conversations with Lake about building height and traffic didn't end with demoralizing comments about groups of people and other diatribe.

+1000 - I prefer the discussions about developing JAX as a better place to live. Sure social issues are important, but let's keep it on a local level and less intimidating to all.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »

+1000 - I prefer the discussions about developing JAX as a better place to live. Sure social issues are important, but let's keep it on a local level and less intimidating to all.

As a soon-to-be resident, that's the ONLY reason I joined this forum.  I wanted to know all I could about Jacksonville: the culture, the restaurants, the recreation, etc.  There are plenty of other places I can look for discussions about national events and politics.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »

I am not the moderator, but please post a link that your quote references.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,27033.135.html

Snaketoz

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
I've been reading the posts on MJ for years, have been a member for several.  I post very sparingly, and to me, there are trolls of many colors.  Some like to argue about the posts, some the posters themselves.  Banning posts from people we don't agree with is wrong.  I'd rather let them rant and be ignored by the mainstream posters than be censored.  Don't respond to the trolls.  They are no worse than the posters that think themselves the critics.  If you saw a mentally challenged person ranting and raving on the street, most likely you would ignore them and keep walking.  Anyone who says that the Pulse victims "got what they deserved", should be ignored also.
“No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.”

brainstormer

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
I've been reading the posts on MJ for years, have been a member for several.  I post very sparingly, and to me, there are trolls of many colors.  Some like to argue about the posts, some the posters themselves.  Banning posts from people we don't agree with is wrong.  I'd rather let them rant and be ignored by the mainstream posters than be censored.  Don't respond to the trolls.  They are no worse than the posters that think themselves the critics.  If you saw a mentally challenged person ranting and raving on the street, most likely you would ignore them and keep walking.  Anyone who says that the Pulse victims "got what they deserved", should be ignored also.

I'm not advocating banning posts from people I disagree with. Maybe in an effort to discourage posters from just trying to get attention, it is time to get rid of the "Latest Discussion" section on the homepage. Right now 13 of 20 forum threads are clogging up the discussion that is  focused on local issues. I thought at one point, moderators weren't allowing topics in the politics section to show up on the homepage. If you wanted to discussion national political issues, you had to actually go to that section.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
I just ignore now, this certain poster, I like MJ for the cities, development threads. Since I am not in Jax right now I look forward to these discussions. Do away with the political threads IMO, we are gashed to death as it is with all that stuff on FB and everywhere else. Don't feed trolls problem solved.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
I just ignore now, this certain poster, I like MJ for the cities, development threads. Since I am not in Jax right now I look forward to these discussions. Do away with the political threads IMO, we are gashed to death as it is with all that stuff on FB and everywhere else. Don't feed trolls problem solved.

Agreed.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »

Yeah, those were the good days!

I'm not advocating banning posts from people I disagree with. Maybe in an effort to discourage posters from just trying to get attention, it is time to get rid of the "Latest Discussion" section on the homepage. Right now 13 of 20 forum threads are clogging up the discussion that is  focused on local issues. I thought at one point, moderators weren't allowing topics in the politics section to show up on the homepage. If you wanted to discussion national political issues, you had to actually go to that section.

I though so as well. I'll check on this.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »
As for APL, here's a new logo I came across while looking at a 1960s newspaper today!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
Right now 13 of 20 forum threads are clogging up the discussion that is  focused on local issues. I thought at one point, moderators weren't allowing topics in the politics section to show up on the homepage. If you wanted to discussion national political issues, you had to actually go to that section.

The "Latest from the Forum" newsletters that MetroJax sends out also read like our Aunt's Facebook wall and probably does more to discourage engagement or re-engagement than they do to encourage it.

Here's the latest:

Personally, I've always been of the mind that, even though I've been posting here for over a decade now, it's not my site, I don't pay the server bills, and the owners are free to run the site in whatever fashion that they'd like. If they're comfortable with all the intermingling of the National Politics and local interest stories, more power to them. Navigating around it is a small price to pay for the invaluable service this site has offered over the years. But, as I've said in the past, I do believe that it's divisive and can drive people away. This is unfortunate, as we're all ultimately here for the same reason, and there aren't nearly enough like us in Jacksonville to begin with.

To me, a better solution to outright banning people with controversial opinions would be to simply enact a daily new-post limit in the national politics section. By limiting the amount of new topics that users can create in national politics to one or two a day, you minimize spam posts, reduce front-page clutter, and force people to think a little more carefully before copying and pasting post after post.

Also, if you pine for vintage MetroJacksonville, don't forget to bookmark ModernCities.com. It's an amazing site, and you can usually find Ennis' stuff a day or two earlier than it appears on MetroJax ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:38:37 PM by KenFSU »

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the info,