Author Topic: Study recommends JEA demolish, rebuild headquarters at $57 to $64 million  (Read 21071 times)

FlaBoy

Sounds like the old George Washington Hotel site. 

It's the block bounded by Adams, Julia, Monroe and Pearl Streets.

That was one of my top three choices. But the way the article read it could definitely be the lot in front of the Courthouse, next to the garage, as well. I wonder if they could utilize some existing parking at the Courthouse Parking Garage or Ed Ball Building if it is the old George Washington Hotel site.

FlaBoy

http://jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=550021

Documents show that the utility wants a 1.52-acre site at 337 W. Adams St. next to the Duval County Courthouse that is being used for parking.

It is confirmed.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^That's the only surface parking lot the city owns that's immediately adjacent to the courthouse.  Here's a picture of what was demolished for surface parking:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:34:17 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

^That's the only surface parking lot the city owns that's immediately adjacent to the courthouse.  Here's a picture of what was demolished for surface parking:

It may not be as beautiful as that, but the current JEA Buildings are iconic in their own ways and must be preserved at this time. Another parking lot at that location would be a travesty for the city.

Were they added as contributing structures to the Downtown Historic District?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website

Hotel George Washington? My Mother worked there as a Maid in the 60's; I remember that building.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

vicupstate

JEA bought the tower and the next-door customer service building in 1989 for $8 million. They were built in 1962.

JEA would swap its 1.84-acre site at 21 W. Church St., where it owns a 19-story headquarters tower and customer care center. The assessed value is $1.63 million.

So something that was worth 8 million in 1989 is only worth 1.63 million today.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

acme54321

JEA bought the tower and the next-door customer service building in 1989 for $8 million. They were built in 1962.

JEA would swap its 1.84-acre site at 21 W. Church St., where it owns a 19-story headquarters tower and customer care center. The assessed value is $1.63 million.

So something that was worth 8 million in 1989 is only worth 1.63 million today.

If all of the building systems need to be replaced it will cost way more than that difference.  Tens of millions.

howfam

Hotel George Washington? My Mother worked there as a Maid in the 60's; I remember that building.

heights unknown: Have you heard anything about the JEA building the new headquarters building? I mean, with the talk of selling the utility fading, maybe expansion into newer facilities will again get some consideration.

heights unknown

heights unknown: Have you heard anything about the JEA building the new headquarters building? I mean, with the talk of selling the utility fading, maybe expansion into newer facilities will again get some consideration.
Haven't heard anything yet; nothing. And believe me, I've been looking. Just a hunch, but it's been a little over a year now since they announced this, so they've gotta be close to releasing THE rendering to the public. They probably have had a lot of renderings submitted but are analyzing them and looking over them to choose the right one relative to cost and appearance, and of course other factors that are relative to making that choice. Can't wait until they release it. I hope it is tall, a new icon for the skyline height and appearance wise, and maybe will include parking on the lower floors, something Jax hasn't done much of with its tall buildings and towers. I believe we're close to hearing something from them...we shall see.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:57:39 PM by heights unknown »
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

KenFSU

Haven't heard anything yet; nothing. And believe me, I've been looking. Just a hunch, but it's been a little over a year now since they announced this, so they've gotta be close to releasing THE rendering to the public. They probably have had a lot of renderings submitted but are analyzing them and looking over them to choose the right one relative to cost and appearance, and of course other factors that are relative to making that choice. Can't wait until they release it. I hope it is tall, a new icon for the skyline height and appearance wise, and maybe will include parking on the lower floors, something Jax hasn't done much of with its tall buildings and towers. I believe we're close to hearing something from them...we shall see.

I think you might be disappointed, unfortunately.

JEA hasn't even decided where to build yet, let alone what to build.

The first stage of the project, long before CBRE and the JEA solicit bids for any type of design, is conducting a feasibility study of the proposed parcel discussed for construction.

As in, is the parking lot at 325 West Adams that the JEA wants to swap the city for suitable for construction, does the area meet the JEA's other logistical and business needs, and will the parcel allow for whatever growth JEA has planned in the next 50 years.

There's no indication of if or when that study will be complete, or even if it's been formally started.

Once that's complete, then the JEA needs to formally negotiate the land swap with the city.

Then, and only then, will JEA/CBRE solicit bids for construction and design.

heights unknown

The first stage of the project, long before CBRE and the JEA solicit bids for any type of design, is conducting a feasibility study of the proposed parcel discussed for construction.

As in, is the parking lot at 325 West Adams that the JEA wants to swap the city for suitable for construction, does the area meet the JEA's other logistical and business needs, and will the parcel allow for whatever growth JEA has planned in the next 50 years.

There's no indication of if or when that study will be complete, or even if it's been formally started.

Once that's complete, then the JEA needs to formally negotiate the land swap with the city.

Thanks Ken; had completely forgot about the land swap. I hope something starts to happen soon, if not, oh well, there's other goody things happening downtown.

Jagsdrew

photo credit: JDR's David Cawton

Here are some early renderings and potential sites for JEA's HQ downtown. A few options to consider including Lot J as the CFO of the Jaguars is on JEA's board.

Twitter: @Jagsdrew

KenFSU

Thanks Ken; had completely forgot about the land swap. I hope something starts to happen soon, if not, oh well, there's other goody things happening downtown.

Good call Heights! I was wrong!

The four block development is interesting.

Block 48 isn't very interesting.

Lot J is going to be the x-factor.

I think Curry, Khan, and Lamping are going to push hard for it, but with how closely JEA works with the city, I think it would be hard to give up that proximity..

acme54321

So in one option they show needing one block, then the next optionrequires 4 blocks? :o  That stretch between Ocean and Main could really use some reviatalization though.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:03:15 PM by acme54321 »

Charles Hunter

Is it just me, or do each of these renderings look very mid-1960s in style?

And do any of them provide for street interaction?