Author Topic: Good Dough Doughnuts !?!  (Read 48921 times)

Snaketoz

Re: Good Dough Doughnuts !?!
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
So I needed a donut fix and since I still have GD under protest, I went to Sweet Theory. Unfortunately, at their prices, I found all of their donuts to be substandard so I drove to the Mandarin Dunkin Donuts and got a dozen at a nice price.

Just kidding.

I actually have a major local announcement. You may want to sit down as this is yuuuuuuge and could put Jax on the map. Dare I say game changer? I have a new entry in the SMM Donut Case of Fame. This is not something I take lightly as there is only one other current member.I got an Apple Pie donut today and this is the second time I have had one and once again it was so incredible I have skipped the usual formal application/review process and expedited the vote. It was unanimous.

It is official. The Sweet Theory Apple Pie is in the Case.
Did you ever try the donuts at the Donut Shop in Arlington?  If so, how did you like them?  Years ago I lived in Arlington and liked those donuts, bear claws, twists, etc.  Now I don't eat donuts, don't live in Arlington, and have a few fond memories to help me along.  Never liked Dunkin'.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »
So I needed a donut fix and since I still have GD under protest, I went to Sweet Theory. Unfortunately, at their prices, I found all of their donuts to be substandard so I drove to the Mandarin Dunkin Donuts and got a dozen at a nice price.

Just kidding.

I actually have a major local announcement. You may want to sit down as this is yuuuuuuge and could put Jax on the map. Dare I say game changer? I have a new entry in the SMM Donut Case of Fame. This is not something I take lightly as there is only one other current member.I got an Apple Pie donut today and this is the second time I have had one and once again it was so incredible I have skipped the usual formal application/review process and expedited the vote. It was unanimous.

It is official. The Sweet Theory Apple Pie is in the Case.
Did you ever try the donuts at the Donut Shop in Arlington?  If so, how did you like them?  Years ago I lived in Arlington and liked those donuts, bear claws, twists, etc.  Now I don't eat donuts, don't live in Arlington, and have a few fond memories to help me along.  Never liked Dunkin'.

Wait....you haven't read this entire thread?!? I am stunned.
See my review on page 6, #86. Riveting post.
Yeah, you probably don't care that much. I went once. Good, not great, not worth the drive.  (Acme's blood pressure may have just rose to a dangerous level)

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2019, 04:14:16 AM »
I went back and read that Donut Shop post and it led to me re-reading all the remaining posts. Thanks - I had more than one good laugh at the content.

But now I'm feeling a bit snackish with nary a doughnut in sight...
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sandyshoes

« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »
Speaking as an old-timer (born/raised in Jax)...and remembering how good the donuts used to be at Dixie Donuts in Riverside back in the day, imho The Donut Shop in Arlington tastes the closest to those wonderful Dixies I remember.  I mean the one back in the early 1960s, that my sister used to get to take to her office.  (She would always save me a glazed twist!)  There was an incarnation of Dixie Donuts right there in the original spot back in the mid 1980s, that our office frequently availed itself of - sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition there.  They were pretty darned good, too.  But yeah, for me the mack daddy to is The Donut Shop.  They have Apple 'uglies' that are wonderful.  To be fair, I have not tried Good Dough or Sweet Theory.  I think I'm too jaded to give them a fair shake. 

Snaketoz

« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2019, 04:18:44 PM »
Speaking as an old-timer (born/raised in Jax)...and remembering how good the donuts used to be at Dixie Donuts in Riverside back in the day, imho The Donut Shop in Arlington tastes the closest to those wonderful Dixies I remember.  I mean the one back in the early 1960s, that my sister used to get to take to her office.  (She would always save me a glazed twist!)  There was an incarnation of Dixie Donuts right there in the original spot back in the mid 1980s, that our office frequently availed itself of - sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition there.  They were pretty darned good, too.  But yeah, for me the mack daddy to is The Donut Shop.  They have Apple 'uglies' that are wonderful.  To be fair, I have not tried Good Dough or Sweet Theory.  I think I'm too jaded to give them a fair shake.
Thanks for reminding me of those apple uglies, they were righteous.

Kiva

« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2019, 09:03:00 PM »
sanmarcomatt I think you need to give us your feedback on this: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/duck-donuts-coming-to-the-shoppes-at-bartram-park

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2019, 08:21:27 AM »
sanmarcomatt I think you need to give us your feedback on this: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/duck-donuts-coming-to-the-shoppes-at-bartram-park

So of course I have been to the original location in Duck, NC! (yes, I know I have a problem).

It was a long time ago so I am sketchy on remembering the details.   Maybe it was the hype, but I think I thought they were good not great and I found a different donut shop on the OBX that I liked better. (Ok, I have a big problem).
 They are a good alternative to the traditional donut place with all of the options, though. And, for it is worth, the women with me liked them more than I did. Dating tip from SMM: hang out at donut shops

Sorry, that's all I got.

MusicMan

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »
SMM. So I'm thinking dough nuts. Now I'm thinking the munchies, which leads me to this question: What's your favorite pot stock pick?

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
SMM. So I'm thinking dough nuts. Now I'm thinking the munchies, which leads me to this question: What's your favorite pot stock pick?

I try not to invest in any company where I feel their product could have too many negative consequences. Profiting from poor decisions by others just doesn't seem worth it to me. I prefer to concentrate my portfolio on companies that I feel have a positive effect on society. It helps me sleep at night.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Wow....I give myself credit for typing that with a straight face.

Actually,  I have a personal policy of not posting any individual stock recommendations and will not bore people(I do enough of that here) with the reasons why.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2019, 07:42:27 AM »
As the legions that follow this thread are well aware, I have been boycotting Good Dough due to their decision of only selling cinnamon rolls at their Town Center location. Well...after deep deliberation, I have decided to end the boycott.  I can't say for sure why..maybe it is my maturity(no, that can't be it)...but whatever the reasons, it is over.

Now...I should also mention...and this is an amazing coincidence....the Blueberry Cake is back! Shortly after open, I confirmed that it is as good as ever. And, just to be sure...I got another.  I am not ready to call it case-of-fame worthy...but it is under consideration. And, if anyone is about to bring up the Donut Shoppe blueberry cake as a comparison....just stop. Don't embarrass yourself.

On a side note, there is evidently happy hour pricing in the morning on some of their regular flavors.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
Doughnut Happy Hour??   :D

In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
With D-Day approaching....you know, National Donut Day, I thought I would bring up the latest menu changes. What? Were you thinking of something else? Huh. Let me think...Nope...All I got is Donut Day. Can't think of anything else that is remotely close in importance.

The latest GD menu is out and while the Blueberry Cake is gone (give me a sec...need to compose myself) it is the French Toast that replaces it which is outstanding. Now, I am not saying it is Blueberry level...but then again, what is?
And, in even more exciting news (you may want to sit down).....Boston Creme is back. And it is back big.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2019, 02:51:56 PM »
I think my donut work is finally paying off. The blueberry cake donut is back all ready! Clearly, I have had such an impact on the Jax donut scene that my posts are driving sales and subsequent menu changes. Now I know how Oprah must have felt with her impact on book sales. Considering her weight issues, we may have the donut thing in common too.

In other news, I forgot to provide the update that I finally went to Cinnati’s. The place was huge and I was a little over whelmed. I wanted to try some pastries too but with so many choices, I panicked and just got some donuts. As with the Donut Shoppe, I found them good not great but outstanding value and of course much better than a chain like DD. If I lived at the beach I am sure I would be there too often, but doubt I make that drive again. I would say my favorite was the glazed croissant.

Sweet Theory continues to be the runaway leader for overall quality.

Snaketoz

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »
I think my donut work is finally paying off. The blueberry cake donut is back all ready! Clearly, I have had such an impact on the Jax donut scene that my posts are driving sales and subsequent menu changes. Now I know how Oprah must have felt with her impact on book sales. Considering her weight issues, we may have the donut thing in common too.

In other news, I forgot to provide the update that I finally went to Cinnati’s. The place was huge and I was a little over whelmed. I wanted to try some pastries too but with so many choices, I panicked and just got some donuts. As with the Donut Shoppe, I found them good not great but outstanding value and of course much better than a chain like DD. If I lived at the beach I am sure I would be there too often, but doubt I make that drive again. I would say my favorite was the glazed croissant.

Sweet Theory continues to be the runaway leader for overall quality.
Before it became Cinnotti's it was Arnot's.  They used to be smaller and on 1st St N.  The last time I ate there it didn't seem to be as good as it was in the earlier time.  I think their pastry is better than the donuts.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:07:09 PM by Snaketoz »

sandyshoes

« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »
And speaking of doughnuts, Pumpkin Doughnut Season will soon be upon us.  I used to love the little pumpkin doughnuts from Albertson's bakery, back in the late 1970's.  Since then, I've only tried Dunkin's punkins (O, The Shame!) and was not impressed.  All I could taste was the oil and my fingers were left excessively greasy as well.  I've never joined the fall frenzy of reserving and then lining up around the building for Cinotti's pumpkin doughnuts. (Especially when their glazed doughnuts have a weird texture and cornstarch-y taste).  What's everyone's verdict on pumpkin doughnuts - are they worth the hype? Whose are the best?