Author Topic: Bike Trails in and Around Jacksonville  (Read 14876 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Bike Trails in and Around Jacksonville
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »
Have you ridden any of the trails between the equestrian center and Pope Duval?  I need to try out Tillie Fowler park next...

Yeah I've explored around out there a bit.  Mostly double track, I'm more into the singletrack variety.  I built that ramp that's in the preview picture of your Tillie video  8)

Ok... well you just answered a question I did not ask... what is double vs single track?  I get it now... Yeah the area between Pope Duval and Cecil is mainly 4wd type trails... 2 weeks ago I was deep in the forest when the trail turned to swamp.  I could have turned around (about 2 mile backtrack) or remove shoes and socks and wade 200 yards through knee deep frikin cold ass water... I waded...lol
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

Baldwin trail is perfect for that... plus no fumes or texting drivers.  I'm not riding the roads unless there is a barrier between myself and auto's.

Exactly how I feel.  Just purchased my new road/racing bike fourteen months ago and before we even got her out on the road, we had five people killed by an idiot driving on drugs.  I'm scared to death now and will only ride where I can almost guarantee their will be zero auto traffic.  Sad, but true.

acme54321

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »
People texting are extremely dangerous for cyclists.  They are wandering all over the road and quick glances up from the phone might alert them to a car in front but your chances of seeing a cyclist on the shoulder you're bobbing into are slim.

spuwho

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
I used to be a big bike trail rider until I moved here.

I have posted previously my desiire for an agreement between COJ, JTA and JEA to build a trail connection network using JEA right of ways.

JEA supplies ROW. JTA maintains the paved trails, COJ provides the park entry/exit.

This is a common shared trail management arrangement in the north.

JEA trims the trees on the ROW, JTA has to build or maintain any highway crossings, COJ would cover any roadside trails.

acme54321

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Good luck.  This city has zero interest in truily improving cycling facilities.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
I forgot to mention... for road biking with very minimal traffic or sidewalks with no pedestrians... Cecil Field.  The old base is open to all.  The streets are grid but long and straight... well maintained but almost no traffic on weekends so you should be able to get some speed up for extended runs... Not like Baldwin trail but...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »
Love these suggestions for trails - makes me want to get my brother's old mountain bike back home, fix it back up, and check 'em out when back in town.

Btw...has anyone done the old MS150 ride to Daytona Beach in the Fall? Don't know if they start it at World Golf Village still but it was a blast the years I did it. And most importantly safe.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »
I forgot to mention... for road biking with very minimal traffic or sidewalks with no pedestrians... Cecil Field.  The old base is open to all.  The streets are grid but long and straight... well maintained but almost no traffic on weekends so you should be able to get some speed up for extended runs... Not like Baldwin trail but...

Help me out, please.  I find Cecil Airport on the map.  Is that the "base" you are talking about, or is this a different location.  (I'm not a Jax local,  yet, but will be this year.)  Thanks.

spuwho

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
Has anyone done this trail yet?  They are going to extend it using old FEC ROW.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/trail/Cross-Florida

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 09:41:01 PM »

Help me out, please.  I find Cecil Airport on the map.  Is that the "base" you are talking about, or is this a different location.  (I'm not a Jax local,  yet, but will be this year.)  Thanks.

Yes... Cecil airport is a former Navy jet base for carrier based aircraft.  It was closed during Brac quite a few years ago.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »

Yes... Cecil airport is a former Navy jet base for carrier based aircraft.  It was closed during Brac quite a few years ago.

OK, thanks, BT!

acme54321

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 10:01:40 PM »

Yes there is a large mountain bike trail system in Ocala on the Greenway, Santos.  The Greenway isn't really a single trail but a large network built on the land that was originally for the cross Florida barge canal.  In fact parts of the trails go in and out of the dry canal diggings.

Is the extension you are talking about on the old ROW trough Maytown to Enterprise or east palatka to bunnell?  Are you sure it's part of the cross Florida Greenway?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:31:46 PM by acme54321 »

spuwho

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 11:05:21 PM »

Yes there is a large mountain bike trail system in Ocala on the Greenway, Santos.  The Greenway isn't really a single trail but a large network built on the land that was originally for the cross Florida barge canal.  In fact parts of the trails go in and out of the dry canal diggings.

Is the extension you are talking about on the old ROW trough Maytown to Enterprise or east palatka to bunnell?  Are you sure it's part of the cross Florida Greenway?

http://www.traillink.com/trail/east-central-regional-rail-trail.aspx

I think the plan is to connect this trail to the Cross Florida using the Seminole Trail.

I will have to look at the updated trail map again.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »
What accessories do you have mounted on your bike or carry with you?  How about App recommendations?

acme54321

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
Depends.  Rides deep in the woods: multi tool, mini pump, tube, patch kit, chain link.  Local park Rides where I'm never more than a short walk to the trailhead I just carry water.  Both situations I use a camelback.  For apps I use Strava to record rides.