Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Manhattan  (Read 6752 times)

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: Elements of Urbanism: Manhattan
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
Great shots of one of the greatest cities in the world.  Thanks for posting them.  Who took these BTW?

I took some last Wednesday and a few more this past Monday.  Its the first of about 15 Northeast cities I spent time in over the last week or so.

Well, terrific pics! You must have had a blast with your travels. I hit up DC and Philly (and the aforementioned Manhattan) last week. Lot of nice things in those places as well.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »
I had a blast indeed.  I'll have to hit up DC and Philly soon.  There's a lot of good things happening in those places.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RiversideGator

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »
Great shots of one of the greatest cities in the world.  Thanks for posting them.  Who took these BTW?

I took some last Wednesday and a few more this past Monday.  Its the first of about 15 Northeast cities I spent time in over the last week or so.

Wow.  That sounds like a lot of fun.  I am jealous now, Lake.   ;D

winlewis123

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »
The pics literally almost bought tears to my eyes.  I too am from NY and the pics alone gives me the sense of communities, family and friends.  I love the vibrancy of the state.  I live in Orlando now and am hoping to relocate to Jacksonville as I feel they have a lot of potentials.  However, I must agree that it we don't get some new ideas and younger folks up in Tallahasse to make some sound decisions as well as our local politicians FLORIDA as a whole we cease and Disney will eventually move on.  I truly love this website as it gives great information regarding the city of Jacksonville. Fantastic work to all involved and I look forward to reading and viewing more pics and hopefully sharing in the vision of a VIBRANT JACKSONVILLE...............

brooklynborn

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »
I need to understand something here, does jacksonville love parking lots? I mean they are huge here. If u look at nyc everthing is streetfront with a large sidewalk for foot traffic, me and my wife love to walk around back home. U cant do that here. Is there a law here that u cant build storefront propertys here? That creates a walkable city

Fishy Books

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »
Why in god's unspoken name would we want our city to be anything like what is in these pics? I think that growth is all well and good as long as it is controlled and purposeful (which Jax has not been). I think the things that we can learn from NYC are few and far between and most of them entail what not to do.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »
Here's why:

jeh1980

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 03:34:30 AM »
I need to understand something here, does jacksonville love parking lots? I mean they are huge here. If u look at nyc everthing is streetfront with a large sidewalk for foot traffic, me and my wife love to walk around back home. U cant do that here. Is there a law here that u cant build storefront propertys here? That creates a walkable city
Why in god's unspoken name would we want our city to be anything like what is in these pics? I think that growth is all well and good as long as it is controlled and purposeful (which Jax has not been). I think the things that we can learn from NYC are few and far between and most of them entail what not to do.
Here's why:

We all due respect. Jacksonville had every good intention of wanting to make this city a very vibrant city...it is just that we all need to come up with more better ideas than what we're having. I don't think we ever wanted this city to be mediocre or status quo. We had ideas that succeeded and failed just like New York. New York is a great city. Jacksonville is a great city. We will get projects built that will be far more better than the ones that are either dead or indefinately delayed. And I still believe that we can a great walkable city one day. But there's one think I don't understand. What was the purpose of those photos of Jacksonville's empty lots and surface parking lots anyway. I don't like how we comparing us to them with all of that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:41:04 AM by jeh1980 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 07:11:08 AM »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  At some point, you have to learn from your mistakes.  Downtown's atmosphere won't improve until we stop making the same mistakes we've been making over the last couple of decades.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali