Author Topic: FCCJ to become state college, name change likely  (Read 18890 times)

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: FCCJ to become state college, name change likely
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 01:09:47 AM »
Just talked to my parents tonight. My mom mentioned that the school had its convocation this past week (postponed from august due to Fay) and they formally announced their plans to become a 4-year state college. I guess they have 90 days or something to submit some application, presumably to start the new programs next school year.

Anyway, sorry I don't have very many details, but I'm just confirming that FCCJ is moving forward with their state college plans and the name change will come by the end of this 90-day period.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2008, 07:41:35 AM »
Cool. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 07:54:17 AM »
I ran into one of FCCJ's deans the other night and he mentioned the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:56:42 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

uptowngirl

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 07:56:43 AM »
This is awesome and exciting!

Joe

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »
Why pick this name? Steve Wallace, president of the college, said the word “state” emphasizes the school’s focus on serving all of Florida. It’s also not so different from FCCJ that the school would lose its brand in the community.

That's so absurd. As if a community college has any brand equity that's worthwhile to a 4 year college. If anything one would want to distance oneself from community college roots.

Oh well ... hardly a huge issue either way ...

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »
Well, that's sorta the point, Joe. They're not just a community college anymore. While they will still serve the function of a community college locally, the state college could draw interest from, as Wallace said, around the state.

jaxlore

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
I understand the point but it does sound like kind of a let down. But I guess college names are really nothing to right home about anyway.

tutUR09

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2009, 01:36:13 PM »
this will obviously change the scholarship process

can anyone get me a website or program besides ARTEMIS i think most of us are familiar with ephesians

jason_contentdg

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2009, 04:07:15 PM »
What an original name, Jacksonville thinking out of the box again!

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
Email from Steve Wallace, president of "FCCJ," yesterday after the state legislature officially approved the school's name change, effective in august.

I am delighted to inform you that a few minutes ago the Florida Legislature passed the Florida College Bill that changes the name of our college and provides implementing statutes for Florida’s new state colleges.  Accordingly, we will commence operation as Florida State College at Jacksonville on August 1, 2009.

In celebrating this great advancement of our college it is important to recognize that our accomplishment today was possible only because of the fine, dedicated work of our faculty, staff and leaders over the initial 44 years of the college’s history.  It is important that we reaffirm that the foundational values of the community college mission – accessibility, affordability, and community responsiveness --  remain as the cornerstones of the new state college.  It is, in fact, our citizens’ need for affordable, accessible, career-oriented bachelor’s degrees to compete effectively in a knowledge economy that propelled us to this historic day in the college’s evolution.

The extraordinary transition from a community college to a four-year state college is, unquestionably, one of the most significant events in our college’s history.  Formal affirmation by the legislature of our expanded mission  is the demarcation point for important new opportunities to serve our students and our community.  Truly regional in scope and impact, Florida State College is well positioned to be highly responsive and relevant to tremendous range of needs and interests in our service area, our state and our nation.

There is much work to be done prior to our emergence as a state college this summer.  The most immediate requirement is to finalize the first budget of the new institution -- something we cannot do until the Legislature  approves our funding for next year.  At the same time we will be implementing our new organizational structure, most of which we will be able to have in place by August 1.  You will be hearing a lot about these plans over the next several weeks.

Finally, a word about our new identity in the community.  We appeal to you to resist the temptation to reduce our wonderful new name to an acronym.  The words “Florida State College” are far more compelling than the letters “FSCJ”.

I’m looking forward to working with you as we launch an exciting new era for our  STATE college!

Dr. Steven Wallace
College President
Florida Community College

thekillingwax

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »
Ugh, what an awful name. Imagine being a student there...

:) : What school do you go to?
 :( : Florida State...
 :) : Oh really? That's aweso-
 :( : College.
 :-\ : Oh.