Author Topic: Then and Now: The Springfield Warehouse District  (Read 7338 times)

RiversideGator

Re: Then and Now: The Springfield Warehouse District
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
You could do a nice conversion of the building into a bungalow for yourself. 

Great thread, BTW.  I love this area and it has tremendous potential.  Unfortunately, until the real estate market turns it will probably remain dormant.  Hopefully one day this will be Springfield's Loft District.   :)

brainstormer

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »
Jacksonville has so much interesting history.  Someone should really turn an old building in Downtown or Springfield into a historical museum.

TREE4309

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
Anyone know the price of the Bakery Union building that is for sale?

I called yesterday.  Its 1,841 square feet and the asking price is $210,000.

I will never understand how these properties are priced with expectations that they will sell.  Who is going to spend $210,000 to rehab this instead of spending the same money to get a fixer-upper in Avondale or the like? 

jaxphotocat

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 06:41:02 PM »

Great point, $210,000 is an insane asking price for that union building.  That is about $114 per square foot for a place that must need at least some work and to be honest..... in an area that is still in the "under desired" area.

Springfield needs more living residents that are part of the revitalizing movement.  There needs to be more affordable housing.  The guy who did the 2 loft spaces on the corner of Market and East 11th also built a great small house just one lot in from his 2 lofts on Market.  This house I think is about to sell and his asking price was about 160k for a 1200 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 2 bath house.  The master bath and closet were nothing short of fantastic.

There needs to be more attempts like this to turn Springfield around.  Better deal to the dollar to help lure in a great community.

JaxPhotoCat

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:29 PM »
Where did the old photo of gate city mattress come from?  I wish it were higher resolution (or hopefully, one is, somewhere).  My great grandmother worked for them for YEARS.

There is a book call Jacksonville Photos it has that picture in there. It is a brown hard back book. It had a black and white photo of someone being pulled by an ostrich cart. The main library has the book, but they don't let you check it out. It has a lot of cool pics that Lake has posted here over time. If you have time you should check it out. Does anyone know the book?
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

billy

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 08:11:19 AM »
Is the Kahn Chevrolet Parts project on Liberty Street being revived?
If so, who is doing it?

Thanks

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »
Yes.

this summer

this month

The liberty loft building was recently bought by a developer from Riverside. SWM builders.  He is gutting the second floor and is going to put 9 loft style apartments there.  He is leasing out the bottom space to a business...but the offices that line liberty street with all the windows...he is talking about leasing those out (cheap) as artist studios.  He is making some great headway!  I'm excited he is moving forward with this project in this market...it is great for Springfield!

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,3355.msg47007.html#msg47007

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:58:52 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

shanshan1218

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
Glad to see this finally taking form! Looks to be moving right along...........FINALLY ;D

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »
Where did the old photo of gate city mattress come from?  I wish it were higher resolution (or hopefully, one is, somewhere).  My great grandmother worked for them for YEARS.

There is a book call Jacksonville Photos it has that picture in there. It is a brown hard back book. It had a black and white photo of someone being pulled by an ostrich cart. The main library has the book, but they don't let you check it out. It has a lot of cool pics that Lake has posted here over time. If you have time you should check it out. Does anyone know the book?

Yes, this book is called The Jacksonville Family Album.  The Historical Society and Chamblin's sell it.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Ethylene

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »
"Yes, this book is called The Jacksonville Family Album.  The Historical Society and Chamblin's sell it."

Copies are also available for check out from the library, just not those in the Florida Collection. Nothing in the Florida Collection circulates so that there are always copies on hand for reference and visitors from out of town, etc.