Author Topic: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?  (Read 39982 times)

mtraininjax

Re: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
Nice article in the JBJ about Palmer. With the games on TV, the advertisers who are locked in for 1 more year are getting close to $80k in benefits for the ads. Nice to see him step in and take over the team.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
^ I agree, I don't see what is gained by having the USL and NASL separate. I think building a soccer stadium should be a priority for the city. Anybody have any ideas where it should go?
I think somewhere near the sports/entertainment complex would be great.  If they ever get a true destination zone down there with bars, restaurants, and entertainment, that would be great.  Anywhere but the Town Center area.

My guess. And this is strictly a guess.

If a soccer stadium is ever built here, it would be part of a larger complex with multiple multi-use fields and a lot of parking. I don't see it being anywhere near the existing sports complex.

^^That would probably mean Patton Park, near Beach and Hodges. Which is by far the most professional and extensive soccer complex in the region, managed and operated by First Coast Soccer. Interestingly, I haven't been to their website in at least 6 months and when I clicked on it just now I was redirected to armadafcyouth.com.
I'm not familiar with Patton Park, but lived in the area years ago.  That might make sense in that the infrastructure is in place, but the area is much too congested.  I think an old industrial site around or near Everbank Field would be a good candidate because of it's central location.

Yeah I'm not saying I see it happening there or want it to. Just speaking off of the earlier comment as Patton has lighting, 15 fields including a stadium field with bleachers.

I would say in terms of geographic location the only two areas that make sense for accessibility and convenience are downtown and the SJTC area. Obviously with my urban core leanings I'd prefer downtown.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
^ I agree, I don't see what is gained by having the USL and NASL separate. I think building a soccer stadium should be a priority for the city. Anybody have any ideas where it should go?
I think somewhere near the sports/entertainment complex would be great.  If they ever get a true destination zone down there with bars, restaurants, and entertainment, that would be great.  Anywhere but the Town Center area.

My guess. And this is strictly a guess.

If a soccer stadium is ever built here, it would be part of a larger complex with multiple multi-use fields and a lot of parking. I don't see it being anywhere near the existing sports complex.

^^That would probably mean Patton Park, near Beach and Hodges. Which is by far the most professional and extensive soccer complex in the region, managed and operated by First Coast Soccer. Interestingly, I haven't been to their website in at least 6 months and when I clicked on it just now I was redirected to armadafcyouth.com.

My son-in-law is of Croatian descent.  He tells me over there, ALL the junior clubs are under the umbrella of the professional team that controls that market.  That way, they have a direct interest in developing talent, as those kids feed into their pipeline of talent.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
Twas inevitable, but NASL is now officially below USL.

http://www.espnfc.com/north-american-soccer-league/story/3197245/us-soccer-denies-nasl-division-2-status-for-2018

Interesting. Wonder how long the teams will stick with the league.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

pierre

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2017, 08:26:02 AM »
At some point, the Armada will need to move to the USL.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »

Posted November 7, 2017 05:45 am | Updated 03:20 pm
By Clayton Freeman
Owner: Armada now ‘team without a league’

As the North American Soccer League’s future grows increasingly uncertain, Jacksonville Armada owner Robert Palmer says the third-year franchise is a “team without a league.”

In a Twitter post Sunday afternoon, Palmer said “In 7 days we’ll be a team w/o a league… Time to find someone to play with.”

http://jacksonville.com/sports/armada-fc/2017-11-06/owner-armada-now-team-without-league
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
It seems the USL is taking pretty much anyone from NASL. I imagine they would take the Armada, right?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
It seems the USL is taking pretty much anyone from NASL. I imagine they would take the Armada, right?

I would imagine. They were already made a competitive bid to UNF when it looked like the Armada would fold. I guess the question is whether Palmer sees it as a good investment for the team he's spending all this money on.

The article also mentions a new league named the National Independent Soccer Association (NISA), which was apparently planned as a feeder league for the NASL. But that wouldn't be Division II and possibly not even Division III.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »
Without the NASL and the USL making a grab for all these former NASL teams, I would love too see them absorb even more teams and consider having a relegation/promotion tier system. It would be a great way to amp up interest and have owners seriously invest in their teams.

copperfiend

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2017, 08:26:59 AM »
I really hope the Armada can get into the USL.

It's probably the only way for them to survive long term in Jacksonville.

JBTripper

« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
Looks to me like Robert Palmer is taking a page out of Ron Sholes' playbook and using a ninth-tier professional sports franchise as a marketing arm of his business. The Jacksonville Giants for years have been nothing but marketing for "You Hurt We Fight." Sholes gives away the tickets to school kids with parents in his target demographic, then covers the arena with ads for his firm and his quack doctor buddies. The Giants don't sell tickets, but it doesn't matter because he probably only needs one settlement out of the 5,000 freebie tickets he gives out for each game to break even.

Palmer must be hoping he can finance the first homes of all these millennial, europhile hipsters who think they're being all cultural and stuff.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
Looks to me like Robert Palmer is taking a page out of Ron Sholes' playbook and using a ninth-tier professional sports franchise as a marketing arm of his business. The Jacksonville Giants for years have been nothing but marketing for "You Hurt We Fight." Sholes gives away the tickets to school kids with parents in his target demographic, then covers the arena with ads for his firm and his quack doctor buddies. The Giants don't sell tickets, but it doesn't matter because he probably only needs one settlement out of the 5,000 freebie tickets he gives out for each game to break even.

Palmer must be hoping he can finance the first homes of all these millennial, europhile hipsters who think they're being all cultural and stuff.

Lol. He's been 100% up front about using the team to market his business. The money he's invested is also head and shoulders beyond what Ron Sholes did with the Giants. I'm also not sure what a "europhile hipster", Millennial or otherwise, would be doing at a lower-division American soccer game. They'd be at the bar watching Barthelona.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »

Lol. He's been 100% up front about using the team to market his business. The money he's invested is also head and shoulders beyond what Ron Sholes did with the Giants. I'm also not sure what a "europhile hipster", Millennial or otherwise, would be doing at a lower-division American soccer game. They'd be at the bar watching Barthelona.

Yeah he's talked about his reasoning and his vision countless times. He's working on getting television deals with dozens of markets around the country to make the Armada America's team (and by extension America's mortgage company) but don't know how successful that will be. On the surface he seems like an amazing owner.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »

I don't know...there's something about putting on a scarf in 100 degree weather and pretending to be Frodo Baggins.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”