Author Topic: Lenny Curry wants state money to remove Hart Bridge ramps near Everbank Field  (Read 43585 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
The worst part about this to me will be the ramps to nowhere after this is complete.  If you're going to take it down take it down.  Once the viaduct to the bridge is gone those ramps become useless.

I agree-I can’t figure this one out.

vicupstate

The worst part about this to me will be the ramps to nowhere after this is complete.  If you're going to take it down take it down.  Once the viaduct to the bridge is gone those ramps become useless.

I agree. I bet the real reason to not tear the whole thing down is just to lower the cost.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Tacachale

• Administrator

I agree. I bet the real reason to not tear the whole thing down is just to lower the cost.

If I recall correctly, removing the parts of the ramps that go over buildings would be prohibitively expensive. Ultimately, they should go, however.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

acme54321

If I recall correctly, removing the parts of the ramps that go over buildings would be prohibitively expensive. Ultimately, they should go, however.

Yeah, it's Sulzbacher that's the problem.   Fine, cut them off over Sulzbacher and leave them as a shady monument to the 60s if that's the problem.  To leave them running across Bay Street and wasting money on that stupid spiral is assinine.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Did the plan change from converting the part behind the jail into an elevated linear park?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

^Nope.

I think it's a great plan. Turn a liability into an asset, at a fraction of the cost. Elevated linear parks are the new hotness thanks in large part to the Highline. Chicago, Philly, Boston, etc.

KenFSU

The Chicago 606:

Rail Park in Philadelphia:

Highway ramps to botanical gardens in Seoul, South Korea:

Assuming that some of these projects that we're talking about come to fruition, an elevated, green, linear park that would stretch from the proposed site of the new convention center nearly down to the entertainment complex the Jags are planning would be amazing. Sure, it would overlook the prison, but it would also overlook the St. Johns River, and the proposed new Veterans Park (in effect, becoming an extension of the park), and the USS Adams, and the Arena and Baseball Grounds, and Berkman I and II, and Maxwell House, and Hogans Creek, with views across the river to the District.

Using Rail Park in Philly as an example, the cost to transform the blighted rail line into an urban linear park was $10 million. The cost to demolish it would have cost over $50 million. Like I said, turn an asset into a liability.

What conventioneer wouldn't want to stroll to the sports complex via a vibrant linear park, filled with local art and amenities. And who leaving a baseball game wouldn't want to take a stroll through the elevated park to grab dinner or a drink in the urban core.

Love the idea.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:56:28 PM by KenFSU »

jaxjaguar

For the 4 years I lived downtown those few blocks between Liberty and Palmetto are one of the sketchier areas downtown. I'd gladly take the elevated pathway to avoid all of the bail bonds, hobos, prison and shelters in that area. Once you get past Palmetto it's not as bad, but you wouldn't catch me walking in those block between Liberty and Palmetto by myself haha. I used to ride my bike through there as quickly as possible whenever I was exploring.

Also, I understand why the prison is downtown (mostly used for transfers), but man it'd be so much less of an eyesore if it was North a couple of blocks. The spot I'm talking about is where the old prison / that huge empty parking lot that always fills up with water on church street is. I honestly believe people wouldn't make as much fuss about it if it was there / it wouldn't have hampered development down Bay street. It's just impossible to miss where it is and that land could've been put to much, much better use to extend the elbow / build more residential to connect with the Berkman Buildings.

vicupstate

If they would indeed turn it into a elevated park, i could get behind it. That wasn't what I got from the description of it. It sounded like it was just going to convert from cars use to peds. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

acme54321

Ken, I like your optimism.   ;D

IMO those ramps will be nothing but a forgotten afterthought.  The current administration could care less about what happens to them as long as the part over the sports complex comes down.  No one is going to leave the proposed convention center to walk those ramps and take in the wonderful views of the jail, homeless shelter, and surface lots behind Maxwell house when they can just walk straight down Bay St.  Plus, who is going to maintain and activate this park?  There's your doom and gloom for the day.

And yes, the current plan keeps half of it open for vehicular traffic and the other half converted to pedestrain.  Fine, make it a linear park, whatever, but just close it down to cars and tear it down across Bay St.  Drop it down behind intuition with a pedestrian ramp and call it a day.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:43:14 AM by acme54321 »

KenFSU

Ken, I like your optimism.   ;D

Thanks friend!!!

And I agree.

I hate the idea of keeping the vehicular portion open.

Hate even more how the last set of Shipyards renderings had vehicular ramps included as part of the Veterans Park.

acme54321

What a great use of prime waterfront real estate!

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
^Great thanks for that update!!  :)

Charles Hunter

Exciting update! Concepts seem to show 3 lanes each direction on the surface road, shared use (bike + ped) path on the river-side and the existing sidewalk on the stadium-side. Some of the ramps will be used as they are for vehicular traffic, but at least one of them is proposed to be a bike/ped overpass from Adams&Liberty to Adams&Monroe. A short hop, but an elevated bike/ped path nonetheless.
Right, 6 lanes needed to handle the traffic.
I am confused by the bike/ped overpass, since Adams and Monroe are parallel.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Any dedicated lanes for the Skyway or coordination with JTA on the design?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali