Author Topic: Lenny Curry wants state money to remove Hart Bridge ramps near Everbank Field  (Read 31715 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

Last year, Mayor Lenny Curry’s big ask from the Florida Legislature was support for his pension reform plan.
This year, he’s focused on knocking down and replacing a key piece of Downtown infrastructure.

Curry told the Duval Legislative Delegation today he wanted help seeking state funding to revamp the Hart Bridge ramp.

Full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=548836
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

In addition to Shipyards development, I believe this was on the Groundwork Jacksonville wish list, as well. Removing the ramps was thought to give an opprotunity for an ideal Springfield/Downtown greenway connection.

Tacachale

• Administrator
Crap, this would be great for downtown development. The article misstates the reasons for doing this, however.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

aubureck

I have mixed feelings about this.  I agree they are eyesores and they are definitely aging infrastructure nearing the end of their functional lifespan.  However, because of all of the overland bridge construction this is how I get out of downtown effectively right now during the week.
The Urban Planner

vicupstate

While we are discussing sinking hundreds of millions into the Stadium District, maybe it is time to seriously discuss demolishing the ugly-as-homemade-sin elevated Commodore Expressway.  Given the reduced number of workers DT compared to the past and all the money going into the area, maybe now is the time to demo and bring it down to ground level starting at the Eastern edge of Metro Park. 

It is and always will be a physical and mental divide between the River and everything else in the area. It is not getting any younger either.   

P.S. A plan to move the jail, even if long term, would be great too.       

Glad someone heard me.

This really is a 'must-do' in order for the Metro Park/Shipyards area to truly come into it's own. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Kerry

I never thought this would happen.  This is great news.  Next step - get rid of the one-way streets downtown.
Third Place

edjax

I have mixed feelings about this.  I agree they are eyesores and they are definitely aging infrastructure nearing the end of their functional lifespan.  However, because of all of the overland bridge construction this is how I get out of downtown effectively right now during the week.

I am sure by the time money is allotted for this project and it would begin the overland bridge would be completed. 

Tacachale

• Administrator
This is definitely a long-range project. The simplest option would be just removing it entirely and replacing with new ramps that connect directly at the southeast bend of Gator Bowl Blvd/Bay. It would be pretty painless, as traffic could just be re-routed up Bay once it's complete, before even worrying about demolition. We could improve connections on side streets to make up for the inevitable slowdowns in traffic.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

williamcolledge

Getting out of stadium events on the east side can take forever. If this happens I'd hope there would be consideration for the event traffic issues that currently exist.

Tacachale

• Administrator
Getting out of stadium events on the east side can take forever. If this happens I'd hope there would be consideration for the event traffic issues that currently exist.

It probably wouldn't effect that. The eastside onramp for the bridge isn't part of that ramp system.

blizz01

So no more tailgating in the shade?

Kiva

Oh, wow. Who could have guessed. If the ramps are removed and traffic is diverted to the stadium I wonder who benefits? Yup, Shad Khan gave $100,000 to the Curry campaign. What a shock! http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2016-01-11/story/jaguars-owner-shad-khan-gives-curry-political-committee-100000-boost

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^Downtown would benefit from removing that eyesore as well.

It probably wouldn't effect that. The eastside onramp for the bridge isn't part of that ramp system.

It would be impacted because most stadium traffic heading across the Hart would not need to use those ramps anymore. They could access the Hart from the new ramp taking the expressway traffic to East Bay Street.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

carpnter

I'm sure that the people going to the downtown churches like the Hart bridge ramps on game days. You can get out of town a bit easier by crossing the Hart instead of the Matthews

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
They'll live. Losing the Embarcadero Freeway hasn't hurt San Francisco...

Before:

After: