Author Topic: Lenny Curry wants state money to remove Hart Bridge ramps near Everbank Field  (Read 43911 times)

KenFSU

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
It's moving but it doesn't sound like actual demolition is happening within 12 months.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

It's moving but it doesn't sound like actual demolition is happening within 12 months.

As someone who relies on the Hart Bridge for his daily commute, I hope they take their time :D

Can't even imagine what a nightmare it'll be during construction.

KenFSU

The firm I work for was recently selected to be a part of the process on the design of this whole roadway project. I have not been privy to the schedule or many proposed details, other than the architectural site plans which Shad Khan has proposed. That said, whenever I find out anything regarding this project I'll be sure to update with my findings. I presume it will be a Design-Build project to accelerate construction, but of course the design still has to be drafted and subsequently bid upon, 100% designed, and then of course constructed, so we're still a ways from any publicly-visible action.

Awesome, looking forward to it!

P.S. Definitely Design-Build.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The big question I have is if a PD&E is needed and how long that study will take? I don't see any demolition taking place without good understanding of the hidden environmental factors from all that former industrial land possibly being contaminated. Can't just pull up those piers if doing so exposes something pretty nasty.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

jax-hwy-engineer, is Gator Bowl Blvd. still shown as a 6-lane road in the plans you've seen?  My understanding is that 6 lanes are needed to handle the traffic. If memory serves, the Khan plan includes a pedestrian bridge between the Metro Park development and the stadium/ Daily's/ Lot J development, so a six (7 with left-turn lane?) lane road is less of an issue for pedestrians. 

TimmyB

• T
...though you might be surprised the level of traffic that can be conveyed effectively with some smart lane and signal timing management.

I've only lived here six months and I've found that these simply do not exist in this city.  Traffic here is an absolute pain-in-the-ass, completely self-inflicted by little vision and a devotion to 1970's-era tech.

TimmyB

• T

I've only lived here six months and I've found that these simply do not exist in this city.  Traffic here is an absolute pain-in-the-ass, completely self-inflicted by little vision and a devotion to 1970's-era tech.

Yes, unfortunately it's true. State & Union Streets used to flow perfectly, but they modified the signals in the latest resurfacing project I think, and now it's nowhere near as fast.

To me, Atlantic Blvd is the worst nightmare in the city, other than the obvious choke points, primarily near freeway exits.

That said, though, you should try driving in Orlando! Or Atlanta! Jax isn't so bad, but of course as with everything, lots of room to improve.
[/quote]

I've been to Atlanta dozens of times.  They also have six times our population, so THAT traffic is to be understood.  Ours, on the other hand, is manageable.  But, we don't.

Sadly, I live on Atlantic.  <<sigh>>

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I'd argue State and Union should be slower. They rip through the core of the city in an area with decent pedestrian movement.

I-10east

^^^If you wanna make those streets slower, just ruin the flowing sequence of the lights by having one red light in front of three green lights, ie everywhere in Jax except State and Union. It wont be popular to most though LOL. 

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
It wont be popular to most though LOL.

By most you mean commuters, and they'll just find another way.

That's one of the issues with this city is that most of the traffic patterns/street designs are catered around making life easier for those who have no intention of stopping anyhow rather than catering to the businesses and residents that live in the area who would benefit the most.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
A good shot of the sports district when it was still industrial. Here you can see heavy industry on both of the Hart Bridge viaduct.

https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/330649

jax_hwy_engineer

Cool shot, thanks for sharing. It never even crossed my mind that the stadium/entertainment district is only a relatively new portion of the city, that certainly explains the implementation of an overland viaduct in the first place.

jax_hwy_engineer

acme54321

The worst part about this to me will be the ramps to nowhere after this is complete.  If you're going to take it down take it down.  Once the viaduct to the bridge is gone those ramps become useless.