Author Topic: Major revamp eyed for Wendy's Restaurant in Five Points  (Read 11601 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Major revamp eyed for Wendy's Restaurant in Five Points
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
Major revamp eyed for Wendy's Restaurant in Five Points

Wendy's plans to demolish their aging restaurant at 2006 Park Street. Once it's gone, a modern building featuring outdoor dining, lounge chairs, Wi-Fi, flat screen TVs and digital menuboards will rise in its place. Is it enough of an improvement to make Five Points a better pedestrian scale environment or should the design team head back to the drawing board?  

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-nov-major-revamp-eyed-for-wendys-restaurant-in-five-points

spuwho

Re: Major revamp eyed for Wendy's Restaurant in Five Points
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
The new corporate Wendy's layout is much more interesting than the old template they had used.

The semi Bauhaus-Americana design has more eye appeal externally.

I think this will work fine in 5 Points. An exterior design approach of modern Savannah probably would blend in with the nearby residential, but I dont live near this location, so aesthetics would be more a local call.

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »
So they're just going to tear down the building and put a fancy new one on it's exact footprint?  Are they going for a PUD because the current zoning won't let them do that?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »
Aging restaurant?  I prefer to think of it as historic building stock...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Captain Zissou

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
A lot more could be done with the site plan.  I'd love angle parking around the exterior and multiple retail bays with a shared patio, but I'm guessing proximity to the intersection would prevent that layout.  I know they'll want to keep a drive-through, but I still think the site should be reworked from the prior configuration.

lowlyplanner

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
We'd love to get people's idea on how the site plan could be improved.

5 Points is the hottest retail area in the urban core.  I think the economics could justify something a little better.

It strains belief that the exact same siteplan from the 60's is the best possible idea...

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
I know they'll want to keep a drive-through

I think this is the #1 reason they are sticking with the existing site plan.  It would be very difficult to put the building up on the corner and maintain a drive through.

deathstar

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
Something to add.. the Wendy's at San Juan & Hamilton was partially torn down, and rebuilt with the new modern design. I didn't take photos, but if you look at the older building on Street View, you can get an idea of what was left and just rebuilt.

Chaz1969

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:37:53 PM »
As someone who lives nearby, I think the building should be pushed up to the corner.  If the drive thru is necessary and there's concern about traffic backing up onto Park Street, then move the pick-up window closer to the sidewalk on Margaret. Please tell me this doesn't have to remain a suburban design for another 50 years!  We can do better.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:39:25 PM by Chaz1969 »

MusicMan

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
That is undeniably a great location. However that particular Wendy's is such a terribly run place I would rather see a newer restaurant there, like Chipotle or something?

The last time I went there my daughter tried to get a plain hamburger. 3 times they could not get the order correct. It was "the last time I went there."

Imagine what  Chik Fil A could do there.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »
That is undeniably a great location. However that particular Wendy's is such a terribly run place I would rather see a newer restaurant there, like Chipotle or something?

The last time I went there my daughter tried to get a plain hamburger. 3 times they could not get the order correct. It was "the last time I went there."

Imagine what  Chik Fil A could do there.

Yes.  Let's imagine traffic backed up down Park St to Stockton from 11-2 every day.  And you can forget using Park as a commute in the am as the already congested area would be backed up clear to the other Chick-fil-A.

The area would be completely un-navigable by car during mealtimes.

And personally, I like CFA, but I actively avoid it during peak times. 

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

MusicMan

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »
I disagree. The majority of customers I have observed are women with kids during the lunch rush, and they are not likely to change their patterns to drive down to 5 Points instead of the Roosevelt location.  I mean, if that Wendy's was an excellent well run Wendy's the problems you mention would probably exist in that location NOW, but it's not. It's a POS, and I'm sure many would be and return customers don't go there anymore because they can't get complicated orders like "a plain hamburger" right.

I would say, if they put anything that was professionally managed and well run you will experience more traffic on that site, so maybe they should just keep the management and staff in place inside the new structure.

And to be honest, I live in San Marco so I'm not there as often as I used to be when I lived on Oak Street.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 10:08:07 AM »
Considering Wendy's wants to upgrade the site with a better restaurant, I believe it's safe to say anything other than a Wendy's there isn't a realistic option on the table.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 10:10:56 AM »
Well the proposed building looks much better so that is good news.

FlaBoy

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 02:39:49 PM »
Considering Wendy's wants to upgrade the site with a better restaurant, I believe it's safe to say anything other than a Wendy's there isn't a realistic option on the table.

At this point. I think the key is having a layout that another restaurant can take over that works for the neighborhood, if and when Wendy's sells out a decade from now because the land and location are worth more than the business. They have three driveways at this point. They can remove one on Margaret, flip the store to the street, put some outdoor seating like they are talking about, and still easily have a drive-thru and sufficient parking.