Author Topic: The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village  (Read 8110 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
During the RAP home tour this past weekend, I ran into someone who had talked to one of the subcontractors on the job. According to the sub, Chase Partners "ran out of money" and all activity on the site has been halted for a minimum of six months.

Just to clarify, CHASE properties sold to CHANCE Partners last year.  Balanky is not involved in this deal anymore.

grimss

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
Thanks. I knew that, but was sloppy in phrasing. Names (Chance, Chase) are so close I mix them up.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »
4000 St. Johns Ave., addition of 140 apartments to former Commander Apartments site, seven permits totaling $1.6 million, Landsouth Construction.

http://jacksonville.com/business/business-notebook/real-estate/2017-06-17/sunday-notebook-self-storage-planned-san-marco
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
4000 St. Johns Ave., addition of 140 apartments to former Commander Apartments site, seven permits totaling $1.6 million, Landsouth Construction.

http://jacksonville.com/business/business-notebook/real-estate/2017-06-17/sunday-notebook-self-storage-planned-san-marco

Does this exclude the 90 units from the existing Commander Apartments?

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
I still think this is a huge waste of retail potential.

The retail over there was hamstrung the last 5+ years because they would only sign 1 or 2 year leases with no extensions and, to their credit, were informing prospective tenants the place would likely be demolished. As a result they wound up with a deserted center. But if done right retail there would be a huge asset.

DrQue

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »

The retail over there was hamstrung the last 5+ years because they would only sign 1 or 2 year leases with no extensions and, to their credit, were informing prospective tenants the place would likely be demolished. As a result they wound up with a deserted center. But if done right retail there would be a huge asset.

Agree. My hope though is that the added density in the area encourages redevelopment or at least enhancements for the nearby retail including the goal post corner and along Herschel toward San Juan. I think there could be some nice net positives for the area down the line.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »

But, hopefully this drives any retail over to the strip on Herschel between St. Johns and San Juan, which has sooooooooo much potential being squandered.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »

But, hopefully this drives any retail over to the strip on Herschel between St. Johns and San Juan, which has sooooooooo much potential being squandered.

Yeah, you're right. I always thought that strip in Fairfax has the potential to be like the one in Avondale, maybe even better because it has a lot more parking. Not sure why it has never taken off.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
The building permit has been issued to completely renovate the Commander apartments on St. Johns Avenue on the river in Avondale. The totals: $10.1 million for the 16 stories that will include 88 units. That’s in addition to the $1.6 million permit to build 140 new units on the property, which was issued earlier.

http://jacksonville.com/business/business-notebook/real-estate/2017-07-01/sunday-notebook-groundbreaking-commander

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »
The building permit has been issued to completely renovate the Commander apartments on St. Johns Avenue on the river in Avondale. The totals: $10.1 million for the 16 stories that will include 88 units. That’s in addition to the $1.6 million permit to build 140 new units on the property, which was issued earlier.

http://jacksonville.com/business/business-notebook/real-estate/2017-07-01/sunday-notebook-groundbreaking-commander

Yeah, there has been significant activity going on the past week at the site.

Live_Oak

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »
http://www.pegasusresidential.com/river-vue-jacksonville-fl

They went with "RiverVUE"...

An ugly, forgettable name to match the architecture.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 09:04:58 AM »
That web site seems rather incomplete or poorly coded.....possibly both.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »
That web site seems rather incomplete or poorly coded.....possibly both.

Yea, not overwhelming. The other thing I noticed is they used large panoramic pics in spots, but have low res images. It's basically the equivalent of stretching a pic in Windows and watching it pixelate.

Regarding the development: I'd contend the finished product will be better than what was there....but not by much. There was a great opportunity to make that very pedestrian friendly and it appears that was missed.