Author Topic: 3 New Coffee Shops Opening in Jacksonville  (Read 7002 times)

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: 3 New Coffee Shops Opening in Jacksonville
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
For what it's worth, the church claims to have pulled parking because of liability, rather than morality.

If that's the case, I'm a little more understanding.

When the popular coffee shop first opened, customers were allowed to park at Southside Baptist’s lot. But after Bold Bean began serving alcohol, the church withdrew its permission, citing concerns over the safety of potentially inebriated customers crossing the street, and the church’s liability if they were injured.

Source: https://residentnews.net/2018/03/07/coffee-shops-popularity-creates-headaches-for-nearby-residents/

When the San Marco Starbucks' submitted a zoning application to serve beer/wine (later withdrawn), a representative from the church told the Planning Commission that their basis for opposition was that children could be exposed to alcohol. I find it curious then that the opposition to Bold Bean's application now has to do with insurance concerns, when before they opposed a similar application on an entirely different basis. Convenient.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:38:41 PM by fieldafm »

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »
All this just seems so goofy and crazy... the majority of people who go to a coffee shop that serves beer go there for the coffee primarily, and may have one or two beers before moving on to a different location to eat, continue drinking, or just go home. I personally love stopping by a coffee shop with beer because if I want to have a drink and am also tired, the coffee is a good pick-me-up and the beer is what I was going for in the first place, whereas if I were to order a coffee at a bar it would likely be crap coffee and not very energizing.

Also not a whole lot of drinking going on on a Sunday morning from what I've seen, even in the hottest weekend drinking spots in Jax...

JBTripper

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
For what it's worth, the church claims to have pulled parking because of liability, rather than morality.

When the popular coffee shop first opened, customers were allowed to park at Southside Baptist’s lot. But after Bold Bean began serving alcohol, the church withdrew its permission, citing concerns over the safety of potentially inebriated customers crossing the street, and the church’s liability if they were injured.

Source: https://residentnews.net/2018/03/07/coffee-shops-popularity-creates-headaches-for-nearby-residents/

When the San Marco Starbucks' submitted a zoning application to serve beer/wine (later withdrawn), a representative from the church told the Planning Commission that their basis for opposition was that children could be exposed to alcohol. I find it curious then that the opposition to Bold Bean's application now has to do with insurance concerns, when before they opposed a similar application on an entirely different basis. Convenient.

That's exactly right. The church opposed Starbucks on grounds that it would eliminate one of the few "hangout" spots for local kids. Nevermind that The Loop serves beer and wine and is the primary hangout for neighborhood kids over dry Starbucks anyways. My guess is the franchise owner is a church member.

KenFSU

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »

Then the church revoking parking for Bold Bean probably is related to alcohol.

The goofiest thing about the entire situation to me is the church lying about their reason for revoking it.

Aren't church's, in theory, supposed to be honest?

I mean, it's one of the Big 10.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »

The goofiest thing about the entire situation to me is the church lying about their reason for revoking it.

Aren't church's, in theory, supposed to be honest?

I mean, it's one of the Big 10.

Well, they've been lying about the whole "god" thing for years now...
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

riverside_mail

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 05:41:26 PM »
Pura Bean in Riverside has closed down.

Kerry

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
Eliminating minimum parking requirements would solve the whole thing.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2015/11/18/a-map-of-cities-that-got-rid-of-parking-minimums
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:52:32 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »
I believe Councilwoman Boyer's current work to revamp zoning in DT eliminates minimal parking standards in a lot of areas.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali