Author Topic: 3 New Coffee Shops Opening in Jacksonville  (Read 5569 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
3 New Coffee Shops Opening in Jacksonville
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:00:02 AM »

BakeryRibault5PTS

Re: 3 New Coffee Shops Opening in Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:45:07 AM »
Southern Grounds in Neptune Beach, NOT Southern Toots.

TheCat

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
Thanks for the catch!

KenFSU

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:07:15 AM »
Pura Bean is expanding into Riverside, where Yummy Crepes used to be.

Nice people, good coffee.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/pura-bean-coffee-co-expanding-into-riverside

riverside_mail

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:46:46 PM »
Any recent news on the coffee shop on Oak St. or is that project DOA?

JPalmer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »

KenFSU

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 02:12:48 PM »
Thank God those heroic San Marco residents were brave enough to block outside seating at Bold Bean.

SOMEONE HAS TO THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/planning-commission-denies-arlington-liquor-store

Bold Bean withdraws

Bold Bean Retailers Inc. withdrew its application for a zoning exception that was approved by the commission in September 2017.

Bold Bean sought outside sales and service at its coffee shop at 1905 Hendricks Ave., but withdrew the application after a pair of appeals was introduced to council to overturn the exception decision from the planning commission. Neighbors cited parking concerns.

Spitfire

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
Thank God those heroic San Marco residents were brave enough to block outside seating at Bold Bean.

SOMEONE HAS TO THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/planning-commission-denies-arlington-liquor-store

Bold Bean withdraws

Bold Bean Retailers Inc. withdrew its application for a zoning exception that was approved by the commission in September 2017.

Bold Bean sought outside sales and service at its coffee shop at 1905 Hendricks Ave., but withdrew the application after a pair of appeals was introduced to council to overturn the exception decision from the planning commission. Neighbors cited parking concerns.

I've been pretty disgusted anytime I've gone to Bold Bean or Good Dough and I see the signs from the neighboring businesses that say "Help Good Dough be a good neighbor and don't park here." You would think their neighbors would be happy to see traffic come into the neighborhood. Seeing signs like those makes me less likely to frequent any of the neighboring businesses.

JBTripper

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 03:12:46 PM »
I know for a fact that the "parking" issue with Bold Bean was 100 percent related to their sale of alcohol. They had a handshake agreement with Southside Baptist Church to use their parking lot until they wanted to serve beer outside. When that happened, suddenly parking became an issue. Those two tables outside pushed them right over the parking limit... they weren't a problem when you couldn't take your beer out there, of course.  ::)

It's strange that nobody has raised any question about where the patrons and staff of Industry West will park. It seemed like it was a pretty big deal when Flying Iguana wanted to move into that space.  :o

Hey, I guess we shouldn't complain too much. If it was another local Baptist group we might not even have The Loop.

KenFSU

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »
Can someone explain to me where the moral objection from churches in Jacksonville to outside beverages comes from?

I'm not even being sarcastic.

Like, why do they take such offense//what are they so afraid is going to happen?

dbjax

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 04:07:38 PM »
Can someone explain to me where the moral objection from churches in Jacksonville to outside beverages comes from?

Like, why do they take such offense//what are they so afraid is going to happen?

I'm not the epitome of understanding different religious philosophies, but this joke from George Carlin seems to sum this up:

There are three religious truths:
  • Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
  • Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
  • Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters.
I don't believe it's just Jacksonville, but there is an preference by churches not wanting to be located near establishments that sell alcohol. This was evident last year with a lot of breweries opening up and zoning variance requests (Springfield specifically).

KenFSU

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »

I'm not the epitome of understanding different religious philosophies, but this joke from George Carlin seems to sum this up:

I don't believe it's just Jacksonville, but there is an preference by churches not wanting to be located near establishments that sell alcohol. This was evident last year with a lot of breweries opening up and zoning variance requests (Springfield specifically).

This might be an ignorant question, but is drinking frowned upon by Baptists?

I grew up Catholic, and the booze flowed freely.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »

This might be an ignorant question, but is drinking frowned upon by Baptists?

I grew up Catholic, and the booze flowed freely.

Baptists tend to frown on drinking, more so than many other churches. How much it had to do with the parking dispute between Bold Bean, Southside Baptist, and another nearby business is debatable.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why a coffee shop has to serve beer.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 05:37:57 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why a coffee shop has to serve beer.

Two things off the top of my head: higher margins and appealing to people who don't drink coffee, or don't drink coffee at night.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?