Author Topic: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments  (Read 39384 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
This will be a nice project if it comes together. We need more people in this area, and we need to knock down fewer historic homes and buildings. Hopefully something good pans out.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
I think there is a heigh restriction of 80 ft on that side of 95

FlaBoy

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »

Could they get a variance on that? I mean, it is nowhere near the historic character areas and is literally right on the border (although I doubt too many people want a view of 95 or the noise if you go to tall there).

Captain Zissou

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »

The cancer hospital and JOI are taller than 80 feet.  The Hilton Garden in 1 block away is probably right at 80.  I don't think it would be out of scale for the neighborhood.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
There appears to be an obsession with tall buildings among some on this thread.  Density doesn't have to be and shouldn't be skyscrapers.  Walkability and mixed-land-use are key.  Let's make sure Jax's core is great at human-scale, instead of just in the views from the Fuller Warren.  That will be key to real, cultural vibrancy.  Go to the amazing towns and villages and cities across Europe.  Few have skyscrapers, but they're amazing expressions of character, charm, individuality and local heritage.

FlaBoy

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
There appears to be an obsession with tall buildings among some on this thread.  Density doesn't have to be and shouldn't be skyscrapers.  Walkability and mixed-land-use are key.  Let's make sure Jax's core is great at human-scale, instead of just in the views from the Fuller Warren.  That will be key to real, cultural vibrancy.  Go to the amazing towns and villages and cities across Europe.  Few have skyscrapers, but they're amazing expressions of character, charm, individuality and local heritage.

I think people are excited about this project because the developer has said he is clearly committed to street retail along Hendricks. However, if giving them some wiggle room height wise makes the project more feasible, it would make sense to allow that in this specific area. Also, if the interaction is good, who doesn't love a tall building in a downtown area?  ;D

jaxnyc79

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »
Actually, I'm not a big fan of it.  I live in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan.  My parents, aunts, and grandmother live on the Southside of Jax and at the Beaches.  I graduated from UF and lived in Jax for a brief period before relocating to Manhattan over 12 years ago.  New York is phenomenal for so many reasons, but for permanent residents, not because of its canyons of steel.   

The towering architecture is awe-inspiring for people who visit, but for many of us here, canyons of steel are not a recipe for livability.  The nicest residential streets and communities are not so dense with skyscrapers, think West Village and the brownstone enclaves of the eastside and westside.  New Yorkers stopped fighting "verticality" many years ago because of the extraordinary population surges.  But I regularly book flights to London, Munich, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Berlin, several of my favorite European cities, because I get the walkability and the density without the impersonality of the towers. 

In my view, Jax's problem is not a lack of towers.  Jax's problem (and the problem of many American cities) is horrible, disjointed, and inefficient land use.  Jax has a tragic lack of multi-modality and functional walkability.  When in Jax, you're mostly confined to your car.  Your streetscapes are mostly lined with massive parking lots settled in front of the same generic, big-box stores one can find in Anyplace, USA.   

Yes, that is slowly changing for Jax (and changing much more rapidly for many of your peers).  Thankfully, it's changing across the country because a sizeable share of Millennials and Post-Millennials seem to desire a very different community format.

As your neighborhoods become more walkable (not vertical), your people will get the opportunity to more rigorously engage with each other and their surroundings in public squares and other forums, which will hopefully lead to more local collaborations and creativity, which may ultimately lead to a rejuvenation of local heritage and identity, giving Jax more to celebrate that is unique to Jax. When that happens, people from elsewhere will want to experience that uniqueness, and voila, you have experience tourism - an important part of the next-gen economy.

So in my view, skyscrapers are over-rated.  When my friends and I want link up in Manhattan after a long day at the office, we head to the streets thriving with great bars and amazing restaurants.  They're almost always at street level.  And we could care less what's going on 200 feet into the air.  Not opposed to skyscrapers, just want to make sure Jax has its priorities straight.       

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »
Yes there is such a thing as too many high-rises and skyscrapers that detract from the pedestrian experience. However I think Jax is quite far from having too many of these canyons of steel. A mid-rise near the southbank is not an issue at all to me at this point in time...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:09:19 PM by ProjectMaximus »

remc86007

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2017, 11:20:46 PM »
Yes there is such a thing as too many high-rises and skyscrapers that detract from the pedestrian experience. However I think Jax is quite far from having too many of these canyons of steel. A mid-rise near the southbank is not an issue at all to me at this point in time...

I agree completely. At this point, all taller buildings will do is allow for more of the walkability and livability to be financially viable by increasing the residential density. Another point that seems to have been overlooked thus far is that, unlike many of the towers in the middle of Manhattan where most of the people in the building have a view of the sides of other buildings unless they are higher than the adjacent building, a tower near downtown Jax almost invariably has beautiful views from every side. The current occupancy rates of the Strand, Peninsula, Carling, and 11e demonstrate the demand for these views.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:28 PM »
It's true that skycrapers often don't improve the human scale environment, especially when they're closed off on the ground level like so many are. But it doesn't sound like any of that's the plan here, as they've been talking about a mixed use, mid-rise building. It's also worth pointing out that the site already includes a midrise building with poor ground floor interaction, a disconnected office building and surrounding surface lots, none of which are good on the pedestrian scale. Hopefully this project will be an improvement over what's there now.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 12:22:18 AM »
The way I read it, there's an existing height limit that potentially stops them from adding the amount of density they want on the site. Thus, they are looking for approval to increase the allowed height on the site.  My guess is that they'll have no problem getting it. It seems like the perfect project for that particular area of San Marco.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »
It would a a great location for an apartment.  A bunch of good places to eat, if you work at Baptist it's walking distance, close to downtown, the list goes on.  Other than the fancy grocery store I think I would chose this over Brooklyn. 

MusicMan

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »
I appreciate the enthusiasm and really hope that this project comes to fruition, but unless I missed something it sounds as if the developer has not closed on the real estate yet. Sort of like the Publix situation (avoided the word fiasco). 10 years plus and the developer still has not closed on the damn real estate. Neither has Rummel. I know all the commentary, "it can't happen unless all the marbles are lined up."  So lets temper our joy until some shovels are at work my friends.

In the meantime celebrate what is ongoing and completed!

RattlerGator

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 10:22:02 AM »
Walkable, walkable, walkable -- good grief. To hell with those European cities, that mess is not going to happen here. Nor should it. Greater density in the urban core for those who want it? Great. All for it.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »
It actually is happening all across the country.  And it's not just about walkability, it's about optionality.  Walking as another form of mobility should not be a death trap, nor should there be the perception that it is a death trap.