Author Topic: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments  (Read 39356 times)

remc86007

Re: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »
I love seeing all this new development, is there any threat of over doing it?  I'm counting well over 1500 new apartments units in greater San Marco, and all within a pretty tight area. If these all come to fruition then the Publix development at Hendricks and Atlantic will be incredibly important.

My guess is no. As someone who was looking to move to an apartment in the urban core and couldn't find one, I think the supply has been way too limited for way too long.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »
Go drive down CR 210, Bartram Park, Race Track Rd or through Oakleaf to see what overdoing it really looks like.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »
This is great news, hope it works out. The only thing over done in the downtown and surrounding areas is parking lots.

pears045

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 11:47:02 PM »
Lake, that is the best and most unintentionally hilarious response I have ever read in my years of following Metro Jax.  I laughed out loud.

FlaBoy

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 10:44:39 AM »
7 stories on that property is some solid density for the area as well. Love it!

FlaBoy

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
However, you would think there would be room somewhere at First Baptist in downtown for them with the shrinking need for staff at the Church. Kind of sucks they are moving out to the burbs but I am sure all of their employees are from there.

RattlerGator

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 11:18:10 AM »
Lake, that is the best and most unintentionally hilarious response I have ever read in my years of following Metro Jax.  I laughed out loud.
And that's the tension; because those are the places the majority of people *want* to live. I'm pulling for downtown to really pop, and I believe that is happening, but it's a dedicated minority of area residents who want that life.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
There's no tension and those are places that benefit from public policy and subsidies drive market rate growth in their direction. If things were on the same playing field, as far as public investment goes, I believe what the majority of people desire would change radically. That's not to say they'd end up in downtown but I don't believe the growth pattern would remotely resemble what we have now. 

With that said, the only reason I made that quote is because the amount of growth happening in downtown is peanuts in comparison. In terms of number of units, a larger scale is happening outside of downtown but no one ever questions if it is too much. Just ironic, that's all.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »
And that's the tension; because those are the places the majority of people *want* to live. I'm pulling for downtown to really pop, and I believe that is happening, but it's a dedicated minority of area residents who want that life.

Well, you have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build the necessary infrastructure to build out in burbs. You need an Outer Beltway and 9B which together cost well over a billion dollars. This is all instead of redeveloping older neighborhoods more towards the city center. But there is always a mix and must be moderation since population growth does spur the economy like nothing else.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »
^Take away the subsidy on upfront infrastructure investment and long term public maintenance of that infrastructure and put it on the back of the developer/land owner and see what happens. The cost will get passed down to the homeowner directly and the homeowner's preferences will change, which is radically impact the overall region's development form and pattern.

JBTripper

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »
I drive by here pretty much every day. Yesterday they had public hearing notices posted. Pretty sure it said RHD for high-density residential, but I was driving so I can't be sure.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:24 AM »
Developer wants zoning for dense San Marco-area apartment complex

Plans for an upscale apartment development on San Marco’s fringe have been delivered to Jacksonville’s City Council, but specifics of what’s being envisioned are still hard to come by.

Legislation was filed this week about developer Block One Ventures’ project to replace the Florida Baptist Convention offices at 1230 Hendricks Ave. with as many as 345 homes.

The project on a single block next to Interstate 95’s Overland Bridge would help fill in development between San Marco and downtown’s Southbank, where expensive housing towers sprouted near the St. Johns River a decade ago.

The new project would have a lower profile.

Where the 295-unit Strand apartment building on the river occupies 28 floors, for example, development on the Baptist Convention property would be limited to heights of 80 feet, enough for seven or eight floors.

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-03-02/developer-wants-zoning-dense-san-marco-area-apartment-complex

jaxjaguar

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
345 units in 7-8 floors on that little piece of land? Are they going to be storage closets? Is there a reason they're limited to 8 floors?

FlaBoy

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
I think it is a great project for the area. Hopefully the design is good.

acme54321

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »
345 units in 7-8 floors on that little piece of land? Are they going to be storage closets? Is there a reason they're limited to 8 floors?

Broadstone riverhouse is 300 units, on what appears to be a smaller parcel (didn't look it up) and  two less floors.  This doesn't seem that far out of line