Author Topic: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments  (Read 39507 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
Density without walkability creates spaces like some of the most frustrating parts of South Florida or Atlanta. Less of that in Jax, please.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
^^

Bativac

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
I appreciate the enthusiasm and really hope that this project comes to fruition, but unless I missed something it sounds as if the developer has not closed on the real estate yet. Sort of like the Publix situation (avoided the word fiasco). 10 years plus and the developer still has not closed on the damn real estate. Neither has Rummel. I know all the commentary, "it can't happen unless all the marbles are lined up."  So lets temper our joy until some shovels are at work my friends.

In the meantime celebrate what is ongoing and completed!

I don't have a ton of experience with projects like this in other cities, but in Jax it seems to be par for the course that press releases will go out, and people will celebrate the great claims and plans made in the press release, and nine times out of ten none of it ever comes to fruition.

Comparisons with the San Marco Publix or - good grief - the Laura Street Trio are apt. Hope something comes out of it, but it's silly bordering on absurd to worry over the height of the structure at this point.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
I appreciate the enthusiasm and really hope that this project comes to fruition, but unless I missed something it sounds as if the developer has not closed on the real estate yet. Sort of like the Publix situation (avoided the word fiasco). 10 years plus and the developer still has not closed on the damn real estate. Neither has Rummel. I know all the commentary, "it can't happen unless all the marbles are lined up."  So lets temper our joy until some shovels are at work my friends.

In the meantime celebrate what is ongoing and completed!

I don't have a ton of experience with projects like this in other cities, but in Jax it seems to be par for the course that press releases will go out, and people will celebrate the great claims and plans made in the press release, and nine times out of ten none of it ever comes to fruition.

Comparisons with the San Marco Publix or - good grief - the Laura Street Trio are apt. Hope something comes out of it, but it's silly bordering on absurd to worry over the height of the structure at this point.

Not really. Most all the planning happens before the deal ever closes. In cases where they secure some sort of variance by legislation, it's done, whether it's good or bad. While it's good not to get hopes up until things are set, not paying attention beforehand is not.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

MusicMan

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
I've only lived here 10 years but from what I understand there were structures in place on the site where SM Publix is going. So they must have been demolished at least 10 years ago, to make way for .......................................

Does anyone remember when the first press release for that Publix was announced? 

Also, what is the latest on the condo/apartment complex the physician was going to build on Nira Street? Any updates at all?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
The bulk of the buildings were demolished between November 2008 and September 2009, but a sign has been up at the corner of Atlantic and Hendricks since November 2007. 

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
^My understanding as well. The project was proposed around in 2007; there were buildings there at that time, a bank and a strip center that were demolished (the bank, now a Wells Fargo, moved to a new building up the street). However, the project was derailed by the housing crisis, so there are, shall we say, extenuating circumstances there.

The Baptist Convention block is a pretty different situation. The site is already mostly dead; it's got a mostly empty midrise building with poor street level interaction, a couple of mostly empty smaller buildings, and a bunch of empty parking lots. Even if the current proposal fails, it will still be a dead lot with little hope of improvement in its current state.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
Looks good to me. Bring it on.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »
I love the retail block on the corner.  It's designed where it could accommodate a big box urban format or be split into smaller spaces.  That's something we don't see a lot with downtown development these days.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2017, 10:58:19 PM »
Wow. I wasn't expecting them to take up the whole block.  Excellent.

Interesting that we may soon have 2 residential developments on each side of I-95 right there.  This and the Home Street San Marco Apartments.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2017, 06:13:51 AM »
Baptist is basically up on all of their land to the west, so we'll end up with a wall of buildings hugging the south side of I-95 from the river to the Kings Avenue garage.

http://www.moderncities.com/article/2016-aug-baptist-health-plans-massive-downtown-expansion/page/1
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
So excited for the multi-use path and the fuller warren ramp.  Bridge loops using the Acosta and Fuller Warren would be intense!

FlaBoy

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »
I love the retail block on the corner.  It's designed where it could accommodate a big box urban format or be split into smaller spaces.  That's something we don't see a lot with downtown development these days.

They may be trying to get a grocery store on board or maybe even a Target?  :o

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »
It's hard to tell how much parking this thing would have. East San Marco worked (at least, from Publix's perspective) because it had dedicated parking.

30,000 SqFt is a boatload - I believe the Riverside Publix is 20k. I think 30k would accommodate Target's urban layout. What's cool is the space could be subdivided now, and if later the market would work for a big box, then one could come (aside from dealing with lease breaks, etc.)

It does seem like that if you could land something major like a national big box them you could just go up a level or two in the garage, though garage parking is really expensive so the numbers would have to work.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
It's hard to tell how much parking this thing would have. East San Marco worked (at least, from Publix's perspective) because it had dedicated parking.

30,000 SqFt is a boatload - I believe the Riverside Publix is 20k. I think 30k would accommodate Target's urban layout. What's cool is the space could be subdivided now, and if later the market would work for a big box, then one could come (aside from dealing with lease breaks, etc.)

It does seem like that if you could land something major like a national big box them you could just go up a level or two in the garage, though garage parking is really expensive so the numbers would have to work.

I've seen the Target Express formats anywhere from as low as 12k square feet to upwards of 25k square feet. 

http://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-mar-target-enters-the-urban-market-to-boost-lagging-sales

In standalone stores in Berkeley and Chicago (images in link), no parking has been added. The Target Express stores opening in the Southeast are typically going into college towns/neighborhoods as part of a mixed used development and are generally requiring 25-40 dedicated parking spaces depending on the size of the store.

From my understanding, the Florida Baptist development doesn't have a LOI from a big box at this time, but wants to keep their options flexible. A well-known national soft goods retailer not named Publix is interested in this general area (Kings Ave/Hendricks Ave), and this particular piece of property would be attractive to that type of user given that there is direct highway access with the Overland Bridge project.