Author Topic: Kickball League in Murray Hill  (Read 2787 times)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Kickball League in Murray Hill
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
Just wanted to put some information out there that WAKA Kickball is starting a league in Murray Hill this fall in Murray Hill Park.

I've been involved in youth athletics for over a decade now, and have been trying for the past couple of years to get some more adult (18-30) type events at our park.  This spring I made contact with a WAKA rep and we put the plans in motion to add another league, one that has long been over on the Southside and at the Beaches, into the Riverside / Murray Hill area.

Registration & More Info

So if you've ever considered playing, just never had the time or want to drive across town, now's your chance.  The best part about it is that for every registration, WAKA is going to make a donation to Murray Hill Athletic Association that we will use to enhance the baseball facilities at Murray Hill Park as well as the park itself. 

The games will be every Thursday night starting at the end of September with a sponsored after-party at the new, soon-to-be-opened, Magnolias Pub

For those of you more interested in youth baseball, feel free to check us out our website Murray Hill Athletic Association or on Facebook or just come see us in person 8/13, 8/20 & 8/27 at the park from 9-12.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: Kickball League in Murray Hill
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
NRW, were you the fellow who spoke about this at the MHPA meeting, with a baby on your back?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »
NRW, were you the fellow who spoke about this at the MHPA meeting, with a baby on your back?

Yes.  I didn't go there planning on speaking, but it seemed like a perfect opportunity so I went for it.

Kathryn (the baby on my back), a guy I met at the MHPA meeing and I have a meeting with Parks and Rec this afternoon to discuss some other additions to Murray Hill park.

Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:35:26 PM by Non-RedNeck Westsider »
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Oh cool, I tried to meet you (not knowing you were NRW of course). I was the one with the baby in the stroller standing near you. After the meeting I was trying to make my way over to you but didnt realize how tough it was to maneuver those crowded confines with a stroller so eventually I gave up and left.

Anyway, glad to hear yall are making good use of the park!! Nice to *almost* meet you in person.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
Anyway, glad to hear yall are making good use of the park!! Nice to *almost* meet you in person.

Thanks, you also... almost.   And now you see why I use the carrier instead of a stroller - maneuverability!  ;D

Yeah, we've had little league out there forever, I'm just trying to do what I can to activate the park more and more and considering the types of people moving in, the kickball seemed like a no-brainer and they were just as eager in branching out to this area as I was in hosting them.  And it just so happens that we' have a few more nightlife options on the strip than we did just a year or two ago, so there'll be something for the crowds to do afterwards without having to leave which is a big help for the hood.   

The meeting today was about a resident wanting to add a basketball goal back to the concrete pad as well as grabbing the momentum of the public art murals and adding something new to the park that hasn't been featured anywhere else in the city to my knowledge, so I'm helping him to get what he wants:  More options.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:26:35 PM by Non-RedNeck Westsider »
-Douglas Adams

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »
Awesome! Is the field only large enough for baseball-type sports? Would it be possible to set up for football?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »
Awesome! Is the field only large enough for baseball-type sports? Would it be possible to set up for football?

Not regulation football.  I've thought about flag-football, but it's never made it past the 'what if' stage.

-Douglas Adams

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »
Gotcha! Just sent you a pm

Bella21

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:29:43 PM »
So umm....I'm like 30 and play and my Fiance is 35...a lot are 30+, you should bump up your age range ;-)

Thanks for getting this together - stoked!!! We will be out there beating everyone!!  ;D

~Andrea

Just wanted to put some information out there that WAKA Kickball is starting a league in Murray Hill this fall in Murray Hill Park.

I've been involved in youth athletics for over a decade now, and have been trying for the past couple of years to get some more adult (18-30) type events at our park.  This spring I made contact with a WAKA rep and we put the plans in motion to add another league, one that has long been over on the Southside and at the Beaches, into the Riverside / Murray Hill area.

Registration & More Info

So if you've ever considered playing, just never had the time or want to drive across town, now's your chance.  The best part about it is that for every registration, WAKA is going to make a donation to Murray Hill Athletic Association that we will use to enhance the baseball facilities at Murray Hill Park as well as the park itself. 

The games will be every Thursday night starting at the end of September with a sponsored after-party at the new, soon-to-be-opened, Magnolias Pub

For those of you more interested in youth baseball, feel free to check us out our website Murray Hill Athletic Association or on Facebook or just come see us in person 8/13, 8/20 & 8/27 at the park from 9-12.