Author Topic: Pokemon Go  (Read 5762 times)

KenFSU

Pokemon Go
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:14:55 AM »
Anyone have any good stories or pictures?

Crazy how many people I've seen out on the street playing this game over the weekend.

A great subreddit has sprung up for Pokemon Go in Jax as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokegojax

Snufflee

Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »
I pretty much pissed off my wife to no end in Costco yesterday with random stops and starts and meandering through aisles we didn't need to go down, then the final straw was catching one at the cash register while she was trying to unload the cart.
And so it goes

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
Live at the beach and it is a total HOT SPOT. Spent 2-3 hours yesterday catching some pretty solid pokemon. There was at least 40-50 people at the park on 5th south all just hanging out, chatting and having fun. It was pretty incredible actually.

Snufflee

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
It is pretty amazing, my 18 year old daughter struggles with Major Depression Disorder, last night she texted me that she was going to be late coming home from work as she was going to hangout and catch Pokemon with friends. Amazing, young people hanging out together pursuing a common interest that doesnt involve nefarious things.
And so it goes

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 11:44:04 AM »
I am going to try it out today so as to decide to approve it or not for my 11 year old.  Anyone have any thoughts on younger age users?
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

JaxAvondale

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
I started playing when I was in Atlanta over the weekend. I just hit Level 5. So, I will try out some gyms later this evening. Luckily, I live next door to Boone Park. So, I don't have far to travel.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »
It is pretty amazing, my 18 year old daughter struggles with Major Depression Disorder, last night she texted me that she was going to be late coming home from work as she was going to hangout and catch Pokemon with friends. Amazing, young people hanging out together pursuing a common interest that doesnt involve nefarious things.

That is awesome! I was reading yesterday that this game has led to positive mental health as well as people getting out an walking more.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
I started playing when I was in Atlanta over the weekend. I just hit Level 5. So, I will try out some gyms later this evening. Luckily, I live next door to Boone Park. So, I don't have far to travel.

We are moving next to Boone park on the 27th so I would be interested in any updates you have.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

spuwho

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:07 PM »
http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/10/suspected-robbers-use-pokemon-go-to-target-victims-in-crime-spree-5998915/

Suspected robbers use Pokemon Go to target victims in crime

A group of suspected armed robbers may have used the new Pokemon Go smartphone game to find victims.
Police arrested four people, in Missouri, United States, who they say targeted players who had used a beacon in an attempt to catch Pokemon on the app.
The suspects were found sitting in a car with a handgun earlier today after authorities were called to a potential armed robbery, according to the O’Fallon Police Department.

Authorities alleged they robbed up to nine people, Gizmodo reported.
The ‘augmented reality’ game, which layers gameplay onto the physical world, became the top grossing app in the iPhone app store just days after its Wednesday release in the United States, Australia and New Zealand.
Players have also reported injuring themselves in a variety of ways as they wandered the real world – eyes glued to their smartphone screens – in search of digital monsters.
The identities of the suspects in the alleged robberies have not been released.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 12:20:32 PM »
I've enjoyed playing the game for the last few days.  It has sparked conversations with both friends and strangers and led to ultimately positive interactions.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »
Downtown St. Augustine was like Poke-Central EVERYWHERE

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »
It's awesome. I'm caught so many Pokemon so far. Im all over riverside and murray hill. I stay out til 2am sometimes lol.
It's addicting.

Join the jax pokemon go group on Facebook.
Murray Hill Billy

fsquid

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
Michelle Obama has tried for 8 years to get kids outside. Pokemon did it in 3 days.

KenFSU

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
I am going to try it out today so as to decide to approve it or not for my 11 year old.  Anyone have any thoughts on younger age users?

Hey Jeff, as long as your 11 year old isn't wandering around alone in isolated areas, he/she should be fine. The beach, Avenues, Town Center, public parks, or any other safe, visible spot you'd let your kid wander around at regardless of the game should be fine. The bigger danger is probably injury from not being aware of your surroundings as you stare at your phone wandering.

Westside Guy

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 02:04:30 PM »
I went out yesterday to Crystal Springs Park and caught about 10 Pokemon. I also struck up conversation with five folks who were also playing the game. I'm finding it is quite the icebreaker when it comes to meeting new people. And I never realized there were so many Pokemon fans! I thought it was just a 90's kids thing but I've run into plenty of adults playing it as well.