Author Topic: San Marco Publix Site Plan and Renderings  (Read 59181 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: San Marco Publix Site Plan and Renderings
« Reply #285 on: May 14, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
Regency isn't exactly starving for cash.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: May 14, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »
A good friend of mine is a civil engineer who grew up around the corner from this. (He lives out of state now.) In his mind it's a given that the current property owners are not going to build anything on it. His exact words were "when a developer wants to build something, they build it. They don't sit on a vacant piece of property for over a decade that isn't making them any money unless they think they can make more money selling it later on than they'll make building something on it." I don't know if I agree with him or not, but he's been in the industry for almost 20 years so he knows something of which he speaks. Sure wish something would happen to turn it into a non-vacant lot.

The history of the space has more to do with why it's sat vacant than the wishes of the owners. It was bought before the Great Recession and though someone could check, I don't think its value has recovered to that level. The owners weren't going to make their money back by selling, so their solution for getting a return was that complicated mixed use deal. As we saw, that fell through several times. Apparently, they're thinking they can get some level of return from just the commercial portion at some point. But I doubt they could (or believe they could) sit on the property long enough that the land value will recover, unless they're banking on another historic bubble.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JBTripper

« Reply #287 on: May 14, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
Sorry Captain, late to the game this morning.

"“Knock on wood, hopefully we’ll have some positive news to report within the year,” Stein said."

I think that sums it up perfectly.

We have identified the problem. They’ve been knocking on wood for 17 years instead of nailing it together.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #288 on: May 15, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »
A good friend of mine is a civil engineer who grew up around the corner from this. (He lives out of state now.) In his mind it's a given that the current property owners are not going to build anything on it. His exact words were "when a developer wants to build something, they build it. They don't sit on a vacant piece of property for over a decade that isn't making them any money unless they think they can make more money selling it later on than they'll make building something on it." I don't know if I agree with him or not, but he's been in the industry for almost 20 years so he knows something of which he speaks. Sure wish something would happen to turn it into a non-vacant lot.

This seems like decent logic. The difference is that in this case the owners/developers do retail only so they have been intending to sell part of it and develop part of it. It's not a project at this price point that they would develop by themselves.

MusicMan

« Reply #289 on: May 15, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
At this point I'm of the opinion a Trader Joe's would be a better idea/fit for the neighborhood. It's a smaller footprint, would draw from a broader surrounding area, and leaves more room for other retail.  I think a greater variety of vendors would want to be near TJ than Publix....

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2019, 01:24:53 AM »
TJ’s is fine but isn’t a replacement for Publix.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

MusicMan

« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2019, 11:11:20 AM »
I get that. I'm not saying it is a substitute. BUT, easy drive to nearest Publix. Hell of a drive to nearest Trader Joe's. TJ has plenty of room to expand in NE Florida, and IMO that would be a great spot for one. Or Main Street in Springfield. Either way, those locations would not take away enough sales from the existing stores to hurt their business.

Bativac

« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »
Why does Trader Joe's always seem to be the go-to suggestion? Have they expressed a lot of interest in moving to Jax? Or is it more of a "wouldn't it be nice" kind of thing?

jagsonville

« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »
Why does Trader Joe's always seem to be the go-to suggestion? Have they expressed a lot of interest in moving to Jax? Or is it more of a "wouldn't it be nice" kind of thing?

We already have two in Jacksonville... a Trader Joe’s would actually make sense but Publix is going there, someday.

Kiva

« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »
I get that. I'm not saying it is a substitute. BUT, easy drive to nearest Publix. Hell of a drive to nearest Trader Joe's. TJ has plenty of room to expand in NE Florida, and IMO that would be a great spot for one. Or Main Street in Springfield. Either way, those locations would not take away enough sales from the existing stores to hurt their business.
There is an empty supermarket on 8th and Hubbard in Springfield. Not sure about the square feet but a grocery store would do well there with all the new building in the area.

civil42806

« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2019, 07:53:11 PM »
But apparently not good enough for the previous grocery store.  I know a trader joes!!!!!!

Kerry

« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »

Because it has cult following, and the members of the cult think there should be one where they live.  The iPhone cult has the same members.  $1200 for an iPhone is why the can only afford $1.49 for dinner.
Third Place

MusicMan

« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »
Kerry, obviously you did not invest in Apple. That was a mistake my friend.

The answer is:  it has high quality goods at great prices, and is a great alternative to Publix or whatever store you go to instead.

It fills a niche market (call it a cult if you want, it won't hurt my feelings). 

According to "Supermarket News",  'Trader Joe’s ranked first among multichannel retailers in Forrester Research’s 2018 U.S. Customer Experience Index." 

Shoppers want high quality, great pricing, and friendly customer service. Trader Joe's is clearly hitting those marks with frequency.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:44:36 PM by MusicMan »

Bativac

« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »

Because it has cult following, and the members of the cult think there should be one where they live.  The iPhone cult has the same members.  $1200 for an iPhone is why the can only afford $1.49 for dinner.

I mean, I love Trader Joe's but it's mostly because it's a short walk from me (in LA). Jax has Fresh Market and Earth Fare and other natural foods type places that are just as good, product-wise. How about courting one of them?

Really, one of those pocket parks Jax is fond of would be better than the vacant lot. Or maybe another dog park. Are there any old Skinners Dairy buildings left they could stick in there for the time being? Maybe mow it and lease the space to hot dog vendors?

copperfiend

« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »
If you know someone that says that don't get why Trader Joe's is so popular, drop some blueberry goat cheese on them.

TJ's is a good supplementary store. I still go to Publix for most of my shopping. But go to Trader Joe's for some types of snacks and frozen foods. It is also good if you are travelling as they have a lot of small package and ready to eat items.

When I go to DC for work, I stay around the corner from one by GWU and it's awesome.