Author Topic: San Marco Publix Site Plan and Renderings  (Read 56877 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: San Marco Publix Site Plan and Renderings
« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2019, 05:22:05 PM »
I'm really surprised you aren't a huge LVT supporter.  Oh well.
I don't see a need to change the city's tax structure for an already dead development proposal in San Marco. I'm confident Publix will find a way to add a store in the area if they really want one. If they don't and the market is viable, a competitor will.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
It is just a Publix > Publix is no urban savior.  I'm all for adding new dense residential to in-town neighborhoods, but I sort of hope the Publix plans for the site fizzle unless they're planning to blow our socks off with some sort of pedestrian-scale design that, in effect, creates a Part II of San Marco Square which happens to include a supermarket component.

I was reading up on The Gallery project in Jax Beach, described as a multi-structure campus (hopefully with a pedestrian orientation), and immediately thought, I'd much prefer this over some big-box Publix grocery store on a prime piece of property in what could someday be considered "Downtown San Marco...San Marco Square East"

In fact, such a multi-structure campus with mixed-use clusters has the potential to breathe street-level life into massive swaths of Brooklyn and LaVilla as well.  Perhaps such structures would better accommodate a multitude of proprietorships that symbolize a celebration of local heritage and flavor, with niche or specialized boutiques, with the artisans and craftsmen that will make urban Jax interesting and authentic for both its people and tourists.

I'm over the freaking Publix in San Marco.  The everywhere Publix.  Yes, I'm sure it's a convenience for nearby residents, but come on, most everyone in San Marco drives and based on that, it's not like San Marco is anything close to a food desert.

Maybe there's some merit to exploring how to better link tax policy to land use, but by God, please don't let a freaking Publix Grocery Store on a random patch of grass in San Marco be the driver of transformational tax policy changes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:16:51 PM by jaxnyc79 »

MusicMan

« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I guess my disappointment stems from 10 years of nothing.  If it was just a nice pocket park that would be 100% better than a barren lot behind chain link.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I guess my disappointment stems from 10 years of nothing.  If it was just a nice pocket park that would be 100% better than a barren lot behind chain link.

If you stop and think about it, a patch of grass with a few mature oaks on it shouldn't really be that offensive!  I'd venture that you've allowed general, multi-dimensional frustrations with the state of urban Jax, the extent of suburban sprawl, and painstakingly slow progress toward broad revitalization, to sort of coalesce around this site and this project.  In truth, your frustration is far bigger than a Publix Grocery Store on San Marco green space, and a mere Publix, if built, is highly likely to underwhelm you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:17:48 PM by jaxnyc79 »

bill

« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2019, 10:58:46 PM »

Talking points by Ocasio Cortez

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2019, 10:52:31 AM »
but come on, most everyone in San Marco drives and based on that, it's not like San Marco is anything close to a food desert.

If you want to live a life where you can walk to the store for everything or even just bike, San Marco isn't any better than Mandarin or Argygle Forest.  There's nothing to walk to and you have to put in a big ride - an issue when carrying groceries - to get to a proper grocery. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #276 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:39 AM »
^btw, that's not my quote. Jaxnyc79 said that.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2019, 08:31:59 AM »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2019, 08:37:42 AM »
I'd put money on this one getting out of the ground before the District, Shipyards, the Hart Bridge coming down or COJ issuing a RFP for the Landing's redevelopment after demolition....

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #279 on: May 14, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »
I'd put money on this one getting out of the ground before the District, Shipyards, the Hart Bridge coming down or COJ issuing a RFP for the Landing's redevelopment after demolition....

if infrastructure work on the District counts, I will take that bet.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
Cue ignorant comments from Musicman in 3....2....1....

Kerry

« Reply #281 on: May 14, 2019, 09:50:09 AM »

Talking points by Ocasio Cortez

LVT is politically neutral.  It is however an Urbanist tax structure.  Suburbanites don't particularly like it because many have very large yards compared to the size of the home on it.
Third Place

MusicMan

« Reply #282 on: May 14, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »
Sorry Captain, late to the game this morning.

"“Knock on wood, hopefully we’ll have some positive news to report within the year,” Stein said."

I think that sums it up perfectly.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #283 on: May 14, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »

LVT is politically neutral.  It is however an Urbanist tax structure.  Suburbanites don't particularly like it because many have very large yards compared to the size of the home on it.

Considering the empty lots/demos/ surface parking lots in Jax, I have to admit I am surprised the LVT does not get more love here. I am not 100% for it but I would certainly like to see more incentive to improve property and a little less subsidizing done by owners that have actually done it.

Bativac

« Reply #284 on: May 14, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »
A good friend of mine is a civil engineer who grew up around the corner from this. (He lives out of state now.) In his mind it's a given that the current property owners are not going to build anything on it. His exact words were "when a developer wants to build something, they build it. They don't sit on a vacant piece of property for over a decade that isn't making them any money unless they think they can make more money selling it later on than they'll make building something on it." I don't know if I agree with him or not, but he's been in the industry for almost 20 years so he knows something of which he speaks. Sure wish something would happen to turn it into a non-vacant lot.