Author Topic: Downtown's New Gateway: The Big "I"  (Read 8017 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown's New Gateway: The Big "I"
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Downtown's New Gateway: The Big "I"

A look at Jacksonville's Big  I .  The I-95 / I-10 interchange reconstruction project.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/838

hightowerlover

Re: Downtown's New Gateway: The Big \
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Wow you mean there's still more room for making this a bigger clusterf*ck? :o

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:47:44 AM »
The Forest street entrance is great.  This is a much needed infrastructure improvement.  They seem to be doing a great job.
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »
This is a much needed upgrade for an interchange between two major interstates.  In addition it should aid access to downtown and riverside areas.  I think I read somewhere that they are under budget and ahead of schedule...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
Re: Downtown's New Gateway: The Big
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:17:20 AM »
Isn't Superior Construction the GC on this project?  If so, its very understandable that they are under budget and ahead of schedule.  The built the I295/I95/9A interchange well ahead of schedule and budget and are on track to do the same with the JTB/9A interchange as well.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:21:47 AM »
The contruction company is Archer Western.  It will be nice when this is complete. New and improved access to Downtown and Riverside will be nice.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks FSUJax.

jacksonvilleconfidential

• Jacksonville Confidential
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 09:32:55 AM »
The Forest street entrance is great.  This is a much needed infrastructure improvement.  They seem to be doing a great job.

Be on the lookout for the Jacksonville Sasquatch on Forest Street!
http://www.jacksonvilleconfidential.com/2008/03/jacksonville-sasquatch-sighting.html
Sarcastic and Mean Spirited

RiversideGator

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:17 AM »
hahahaha.  She is the same bum who haunts the intersection of Bay and Jefferson and the I-95 exit at Park Street many nights.  I really like her approach too.  It consists of silently approaching vehicles and slowly and maniacally waving her arms.  She is like the zombie beggar.  Of course, it doesnt work on me but amazingly a lot of people give her cash.

Velocity

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »
 The pan handler has been around forever - she usually preys on elderly drivers  - I used to feel sorry for her until I saw here for the second or third time shopping  & buying nice stuff at regency square.

jacksonvilleconfidential

• Jacksonville Confidential
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 02:30:46 PM »
NO WAY! more detail please, what was she buying?
Sarcastic and Mean Spirited

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 09:32:27 PM »
Minor techie correction...

When the Expressway was built up through the 1970's the Interstate NEVER CROSSED the FEC railroad yard, it DID however cross the massive funnel of the JACKSONVILLE TERMINAL COMPANY RAILROAD and the lead tracks of the ATLANTIC AND EAST COAST TERMINAL RAILROAD. The Terminal was owned by the Florida East Coast, Atlantic Coast Line, Georgia Southern and Florida - Southern Railway, and the Seaboard Airline Railway.

The Atlantic and East Coast Terminal served the freight station and hooker district of Houston Street. It was tiny and the old bridge abutments can still be seen on the side of Bay street just East of the I95 embankments. It was of course owned by the Atlantic Coast Line and Florida East Coast.

This seems minor, I even call it minor, but in talking with industry or State/Federal officials it's always important to remind them, Amtrak, etc... that JACKSONVILLE TERMINAL was the largest passenger Terminal in the United States South of Washington DC, and at one time the busiest station in the world. Also our Railway express station where JTA now sits, was THE LARGEST express terminal in the WORLD.  NEVER UNDER SELL our importance to a future Amtrak switching move, a train split in Jacksonville = 3 trains to us... One north, two South! VERY IMPORTANT.

It's never going to be the Prime Osbourne, or Transportation Center in my correspondence, it shall always remain JACKSONVILLE TERMINAL... and for good reason.

Ocklawaha

jeh1980

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 02:37:02 AM »
I love this project :D! Lots of other cities have enormous interchanges with multiple lanes. ATL has one, LA has one, now we will soon have one! Atlanta has about 14 to 16 lanes in their downtown connector (the 75/85). That "Big 'I'" project here may have at least a total of 14 lanes in some parts (it's just a guess). 8)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:21:38 AM by jeh1980 »

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Here is a small rendering that might show enough detail to count lanes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 08:49:18 AM »
Minor techie correction...

When the Expressway was built up through the 1970's the Interstate NEVER CROSSED the FEC railroad yard, it DID however cross the massive funnel of the JACKSONVILLE TERMINAL COMPANY RAILROAD and the lead tracks of the ATLANTIC AND EAST COAST TERMINAL RAILROAD. The Terminal was owned by the Florida East Coast, Atlantic Coast Line, Georgia Southern and Florida - Southern Railway, and the Seaboard Airline Railway.

Ocklawaha

Good catch Ock.  I'll correct it here, but you may want to send an email to these guys:

http://www.thebigi.info/project_history.htm

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Contact us about the I-10/I-95 Interchange project by sending an E-mail to: michael.goldman @ dot.state.fl.us or calling Mike Goldman at the FDOT Construction Public Information Office at: (904) 360-5457.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali