Author Topic: Downtown's New Gateway: The Big "I"  (Read 8024 times)

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
Re: Downtown's New Gateway: The Big \
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 12:22:30 AM »
Wow; this is going to be more complex and much larger than anything I remember that this interchange was or now is.......I hope that they have appropriate signage where needed in order to not make it a cluster ****.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
The Forest street entrance is great.  This is a much needed infrastructure improvement.  They seem to be doing a great job.

Be on the lookout for the Jacksonville Sasquatch on Forest Street!
http://www.jacksonvilleconfidential.com/2008/03/jacksonville-sasquatch-sighting.html

Wow thats great...The lady has a code name?? I used to see her downtown and Brooklyn all the time. What's her real name?
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Jimmy Olsen

• Flickr
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »
Coolyfett her REAL name is Shirley Green. You should see her arrest record....

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 11:36:35 AM »
Just drove the newly opened flyover connecting I-95-N to I-10-W... Impressive and smooth.  Will mess people up for awhile because the exit is to the right instead of the left... Enjoy!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
Just drove the newly opened flyover connecting I-95-N to I-10-W... Impressive and smooth.  Will mess people up for awhile because the exit is to the right instead of the left... Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in town briefly and was just about to head out that way!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »
Jacksonville Sasquatch on Forest Street

Is that intended as a racist slur? Lighten up people, I once lived in Fresno, and Sasquatch lived in the commune in Dunlap. He was a regular around there until Santa Claus's old lady left him, howling in the forest one night. Cheech Martin, used to come up and smoke some boo with him. All I know is Sasquatch had a lot of money, and none of the other freaks did... he had a fancy apartment in Portland too, but the only thing in it besides a bare - top of the line matress, gormet cooking supplies, and a fully stocked fridge, was 241 cats.
No litter box, Sasquatch had long since burned the senses out of his nose, and figured why waste the money on cat litter.

(Old Hippie lore Number 420)

OCKLAWAHA

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 06:56:17 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in town briefly and was just about to head out that way!

They should give me a helicopter and a radio... Jacksonville "traffic" reports are the worst...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Captain Zissou

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
I get to drive over the new ramp tonight!  I am very excited.  However, I would rather be a passenger.  It will be tough to enjoy the view at 70 miles an hour.

Seraphs

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 07:25:58 PM »
The ramp is great, nice view of downtown looking back over your shoulder.  However, it will be confusing for a while.  When the lanes for I-10 veer off it's about 200' before the I-95N sign comes up.  I feel travelers going I-95N will probably end up taking the I-10W ramp if they aren't paying close attention.

jeh1980

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 07:44:27 PM »
The Big "I" is starting to take shape with that new flyover from 95 north the I-10 west and the old flyover is coming down peace by peace :D. It's great to see more and more things happening every week on that merger. How 'bout some new updated photos of the project?

jeh1980

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »
Some of us are already getting use to it. I once told my pastor of my church about that new flyover. It was about 75 ft. above the ground and you can see almost everything.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »
Yes great views from up there. I have already been caugth going the wrong way, its a little confusing after all these years. :-[

jacksonvilleconfidential

• Jacksonville Confidential
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 12:08:41 PM »
I get to drive over the new ramp tonight!  I am very excited.  However, I would rather be a passenger.  It will be tough to enjoy the view at 70 miles an hour.

Yikes, the SL is 35 on the ramp, i hope you didnt die going 70.
Sarcastic and Mean Spirited

ricker

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 03:51:53 AM »
Wow; this is going to be more complex and much larger than anything I remember that this interchange was or now is.......I hope that they have appropriate signage where needed in order to not make it a cluster ****.

Heights Unknown

in the same vein:
native. live in Riverside.
obvious problems with the signage.

given that 2 of the only 3 north-south routes between Clay and Duval are relevant to DT [obviously west of the river] US17/RooseveltBv and SR21/BlandingBv [the 3rd-FCOB unfinished, not near the core]  both carry enough vehicles to warrant signage in advance in each direction of aproach.
IF FSCJ belongs on an interstate sign - so does BLANDING BLVD.

Similarly, driving north 95 from JTButler, UniversityBV, Emerson area, if you are nonlocal, seeking DT, Federal Courthouse etc  you are given {almost hidden, last minute} 1/4 mi notice of  Forsyth, Monroe exits - which remain a mystery until after you pass the Stockton&10west split and flyover @ PS4 with no connection to or mention of Forest or that Myrtle puts you in the same area.

the road deck permits expressway speeds.
the signage is crippled with problems of positioning coupled with evident lack of thought given to nonlocal motorists destinations.

traveling i95Northbound, after O'Steen Volvo, before reaching the Acosta split, overhead panels stretching the width of the entire span should give down arrows marking which lane places you corectly and again, the signage at the Nemours/Wolfson ppl bridge - though some folks may deem such repetition the epitome of redundancy:
from L-R _ non locals need better direction.  it isnot easy to give directions to folks who do not have a NAV system.
// 95N DOWNTOWN BYPASS  JIA+MLK+Shands+Veterans center+8thSt Springfield//
// Federal Buildings+JaxRailTerminal+Forsyth+Myrtle+Monroe+Union+Shands+8thSt //
// westside+I10+St.Vincents+Stockton+US17RooseveltBv, BlandingBv, OP+Cecil //
// ParkSt+5points+RailTerminal+Northbank Riverwalk+Riverside //
// SouthbankRiverwalk+Baptist+SanMarco //
// Acosta and Main St bridges+Sports complex+Springfield. 

Alot to read? yes. perhaps. but the upper speed limit within this project is 45mph.
possible vehicular movements alone neccessitate caution in the form of maintaining following distances and simply realizing that tailgating does not save time.