Author Topic: ModernCities.com  (Read 2540 times)

coredumped

• Huge Member
ModernCities.com
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »
Maybe I missed an announcement, but what's going on with metrojacksonville and moderncities.com?

I've seen a few links from MJ that direct to MC (moderncities), so how are the 2 related? And is MJ going to go away and redirect to MC eventually?
Jags season ticket holder.

whyisjohngalt

• EPOCH
Re: ModernCities.com
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »
That site is incredible.  Thanks for linking.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: ModernCities.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:44:22 PM »
Maybe I missed an announcement, but what's going on with metrojacksonville and moderncities.com?

I've seen a few links from MJ that direct to MC (moderncities), so how are the 2 related? And is MJ going to go away and redirect to MC eventually?

Moderncities is a separate entity I incorporated last fall and took online in late March 2016. Its niche is "the essence of the city" and making technical planning concepts more fun, exciting and visually stimulating to read, share and learn about. The goal is to grow it into a place where a network of people engaged in the ground level of communities all over, can share their experiences in a manner where they (and others) can learn, regardless of what municipality or region they stay in. In other words, there's nothing new under the sun, so we should be learning from others and others should be learning from our experiences.

A portion of it is also dedicated as a site for local content associated with the TransForm Jax group. Better TRANSportation and Urban FORM today, for a sustainable Jacksonville tomorrow. TransForm Jax is a group I co-founded with several other community advocates and tactical urbanist in 2011.

TransForm Jax's vision is to improve the vitality and quality of life in Jacksonville's downtown and urban core neighborhoods through creative, innovative, attainable, and sustainable solutions. Jax Truckies, Jaxsons Night Market, the Landing's Front Porch, San Marco's Balis Park redevelopment, getting FDOT to add a bike path to the Fuller Warren expansion project, DVI's Parklets initiative, etc. are all examples of things TransformJax members have helped bring to fruition in recent years. The intention of the TransForm Jax section is to provide a place for TJ's local content and updates on its initiatives without taking over the core reason for establishing Modern Cities.

There are areas where some MC content will be suitable for MJ. I plan to cross post them when the opportunities present themselves.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:49:33 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali