Author Topic: The Jax Migration (Thinking out Loud)  (Read 2699 times)

manasia

The Jax Migration (Thinking out Loud)
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:21:58 AM »
I have been away from Jacksonville off on for about 9 years now; I think I am finally at a place where I am ready to move back.

I am currently living in Atlanta, and was on my way to move out west to Huntington Beach, but there is no place like home.

I remember complaining about the lack of a night life in Jacksonville, and now I have access to one daily. Yet and still, on most nights, I just wanna go to the river or to the beach, I don't really wanna drive an or our 2 round trip just to go bar hopping or clubbing.

It is funny how time works....
The race is not always to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor satisfaction to the wise,
Nor riches to the smart,
Nor grace to the learned.
Sooner or later bad luck hits us all.

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: The Jax Migration (Thinking out Loud)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 06:18:01 AM »
I feel you. I've been away for about 9 1/2 years and miss Jax all the time. I suppose I have a love and hate relationship with Jacksonville - but that's the way it is with almost anywhere. There are positives and negatives. I often think about moving home and wouldn't be too surprised if I did it at some point.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Snaketoz

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:41:46 AM »
After we retired we moved to NC for a time then So. GA.  Spent 11+ years away from Jacksonville, visiting often with children, grandkids, etc.  We have moved back and love it.  The worst thing about Jacksonville is the politics.  We have a terrible mix in all levels of our government.  Too many right wing 'necks.  Jacksonville could be a dynamic place if we can speed-up the transition from backwater mill town to a progressive, inclusive city.  What is keeping this city back is not reality, but perception.  The city thinks little of itself.  If we can ever change the way we Jacksonvillians think of our city, others will as well.

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
After we retired we moved to NC for a time then So. GA.  Spent 11+ years away from Jacksonville, visiting often with children, grandkids, etc.  We have moved back and love it.  The worst thing about Jacksonville is the politics.  We have a terrible mix in all levels of our government.  Too many right wing 'necks.  Jacksonville could be a dynamic place if we can speed-up the transition from backwater mill town to a progressive, inclusive city.  What is keeping this city back is not reality, but perception.  The city thinks little of itself.  If we can ever change the way we Jacksonvillians think of our city, others will as well.

+1

Every place has it 's Pros and Cons, but the frustrating thing about JAX is that nearly all the CON's could be eliminated with just a change of leadership and mindset.  JAX has enormous potential. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »

+1

Every place has it 's Pros and Cons, but the frustrating thing about JAX is that nearly all the CON's could be eliminated with just a change of leadership and mindset.  Relatively speaking those are easy things to fix, yet they never seem too. JAX has enormous potential. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »

+1

Every place has it 's Pros and Cons, but the frustrating thing about JAX is that nearly all the CON's could be eliminated with just a change of leadership and mindset.  JAX has enormous potential.

Enormous potential and it's blessed with an amazing natural environment. The only way it could be better is if it also had mountains.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

seaspray

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:56:03 AM »
I agree, we have an environment that other cities (with the same size/population) can only dream about.

I don't necessarily agree with the perception comment though. I think the perception has changed/improved during the last 5 years. The physical results just do not happen overnight, and in my opinion, you should not expect it to.

Snaketoz

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
I would love for our government to do something to improve the overall morale of Jacksonville.  We are constantly spending money on studies to determine the feasibility of certain projects, but little on the simple things that could be done to improve our self image.  My dream is for the city to hire a person who specializes in promoting spirit and pride.  Back when Hans Tanzler was mayor for a brief period I thought that might happen.  Someone came out with bumper stickers that showed "Jack-SUN-ville printed on them.  We diluted the worst of the city through consolidation, and we were primed to bust out.  The good old boys seemed to be gone and a new spirit was rising.  It was not to be.  Jake Godbold did a lot to try changing our image as did Tommy Hazouri.  Did they get any kudos for it?  Nah, they were blasted by the big shot mafia whose only goal is to elect people who can fill their pockets with money and keep them in power and influence.  We need reasons to be proud.  We hear enough of crime, poor education system, ignorance, and poverty.  Let's start banging the drum about all of our assets.  There is only one reason we have fallen from number 1 in Florida to the bottom- our bible thumping, greedy, good ole boy politicians.  Gotta change!