Author Topic: 5 Major Retail Projects Coming to Town Center  (Read 12502 times)

KenFSU

Re: 5 Major Retail Projects Coming to Town Center
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
^Why would anyone have to cross Town Center Parkway? There's nothing there right now. Once the new developments come up, we'll have a better idea of the danger involving pedestrians trying to cross a six lane surburban highway. One thing that will help will be congestion. Once all the new places are built out, good luck trying to get up to 45mph on that stretch.

Think there's any chance of an elevated pedestrian walkway (or two)?

seaspray

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 12:55:42 PM »
After all this development happens, hopefully my property there goes up in value, and I can sell and gtfo

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
^Why would anyone have to cross Town Center Parkway? There's nothing there right now. Once the new developments come up, we'll have a better idea of the danger involving pedestrians trying to cross a six lane surburban highway. One thing that will help will be congestion. Once all the new places are built out, good luck trying to get up to 45mph on that stretch.

Not unless the public pays for it. There's no benefit in any of the developers spending $3 to $4 million for one.  If COJ has that type of cash for a ped overpass, they'd better put one over the Arlington Expressway first.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Thessarabian

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »

I hope they would do that, and it would be really great if they did one across JTB once the development just south of JTB comes in. Keep in mind, though, that if you're shopping and have stuff to carry you're less likely to walk since it would mean carrying things. IKEA is going to bring a lot more traffic to 295/Gate because who goes to IKEA and doesn't come away with bulky items or furniture? I mean sure, I'll go there once or twice just for the swedish meatballs, but in most cases I'm going there with a list.

spuwho

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 09:08:16 PM »
JTA has a bus stop in the middle of TC with a covered waiting area.

Also SJTC has started a shuttle service that runs from one end (Nordstrom) down to the loop around Maggianos.

Now this isnt a glorious air conditioned bus, its a 4 row golf cart, but it is a start. It only stays on the main TC campus.

I have asked why open air malls like SJTC dont have a better way to get around to each store and the answer was pretty simple.

The "Town Center" format is popular because it has very low CAM. (Common Area Maintenance).  This makes rent cheaper than most indoor malls.

A recirculator would require a major boost in CAM to cover its expense to build and operate. Why would Mayors jewelery pay a 15% up charge in their rent so its easier for someone to reach Target?

Also you are dealing with different property owners now on both sides of TC Parkway. Why would Books A Million pay a 15% upcharge on their rent so someone could get to Barnes & Noble across the street?

This leaves it to either charging a fare to cover it or leaving it to the public through a transit agency.

Maybe we can convince Mr. Maglev from Orlando to build here too? Lake would be behind that (not).

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »

KenFSU

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
Blackfinn is done.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/10/15/blackfinn-ameripub-near-st-johns-town-center-shuts.html

I'd expect to see more restaurant closures in the next year as the Town Center dining scene reaches oversaturation and the existing restaurants begin to cannabalize each other.

copperfiend

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 07:41:06 AM »
Blackfinn is done.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/10/15/blackfinn-ameripub-near-st-johns-town-center-shuts.html

I'd expect to see more restaurant closures in the next year as the Town Center dining scene reaches oversaturation and the existing restaurants begin to cannabalize each other.

In the article it mentions that several other locations of the chain have closed also.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
I never made it to the place. How was it?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »
I never made it to the place. How was it?

Meh. Food wasn't their strong suit.