Author Topic: Park Planned under the Matthews Bridge  (Read 4155 times)

martt12

Park Planned under the Matthews Bridge
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »
I maybe late on this. However, I see that Jacksonville is planning a Park under the Matthews Bridge. Some people feel that the city money could be used for some other things.... thoughts?

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2016-05-23/story/island-under-mathews-bridge-has-colorful-past-plans-future#

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: Park Planned under the Matthews Bridge
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:43:01 AM »
Great article with the history of the island. I haven't been on it in about 2 years, but it was beat up. There was really nothing there but broken glass.
The south east end has a little beach you can pull up to.

As for it being a waste of money - I don't think so. Isn't this what Jax should be doing? Capitalizing on the river? Something most cities can't do?
Jags season ticket holder.

blfair

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
Sounds great to me -- we need more things you can do via boat/kayak.

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
All I know is to be sure to have shoes on...ran out of gas a few years back and got stranded there a couple hours, and tore my feet up on the shells.  :o

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
I think it's a cool idea and I'd like to see something done with the island. I just hope we don't end up like those Baltimore guys, though.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

johnnyliar

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
Lol it's as if he was summoned by the term "Baltimore guys"

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
I think we need to rename the island. "Exchange Club Island" is kind of outdated when the Exchange Club doesn't seem to exist anymore.

"Tacachale Island" has a nice ring to it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
Hmmm....where have I heard this before......:)

lakelander, stephendare, Lunican, anyone have that presentation we did in 2006 in the City Council Chambers?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »
Yes. Glad to see such ideas finally come to fruition.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.msg174986.html#msg174986

I believe that 2006 presentation was done when the MetJax forum was still around. Much of that archived discussion was lost when Jim finally took it offline. This version of the Metro Jacksonville forum came online in 2007, after we were unable to integrate the MJ front page blog with MetJax.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »
Anybody wanna do a RICO loop to Exchange Club Island on the St Johns River, Our American Heritage River?

Noone

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
Anybody wanna do a RICO loop to Exchange Club Island on the St Johns River, Our American Heritage River?

+1
I'm In
It's FEDERAL

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
Yes. Glad to see such ideas finally come to fruition.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.msg174986.html#msg174986

I believe that 2006 presentation was done when the MetJax forum was still around. Much of that archived discussion was lost when Jim finally took it offline. This version of the Metro Jacksonville forum came online in 2007, after we were unable to integrate the MJ front page blog with MetJax.

I might still have a copy of the presentation or some of the news footage somewhere.  I'll see if I can dig it up later.

This is definitely a bit of de ja vu.

acme54321

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »

Too bad for the Baltimore guys.