Author Topic: UNF Nature Trails: Embrace a Small Adventure  (Read 1972 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
UNF Nature Trails: Embrace a Small Adventure
« on: April 24, 2016, 03:00:04 AM »
UNF Nature Trails: Embrace a Small Adventure

One of the lesser-known locations to visit in Jacksonville is home to many. Friendly geese, fish, turtles and squirrels can be seen on many days and if lucky, a visitor might even spot the native student who has taken a break to embrace a small adventure. The University of North Florida’s Robert W. Loften Nature Trails have been part of the school for almost as long as the university has been around. In 1973, the 12 miles of trails were officially opened to the public, and in 1977 they became recognized as a part of the system of National Recreation Trails.  See the trails after the Jump!

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-apr-unf-nature-trails-embrace-a-small-adventure

Chris Hand

Re: UNF Nature Trails: Embrace a Small Adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
This is actually one of my favorite nature trails in the city.

Totally agree with Stephen. The Loftin trails are a real treasure, made even more valuable by the fact they are no more than 30 minutes from almost anywhere in Jacksonville.

Northeast Florida has some excellent hiking opportunities. While this list is not comprehensive, I also recommend the Guana Tolomato Matanzas Research Reserve (gtmnerr.org), Bayard Conservation Area (sjrwmd.com/recreationguide/bayard), Julington-Durbin Preserve sjrwmd.com/recreationguide/julington-durbin/), Hanna Park (coj.net/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/kathryn-abbey-hanna-park.aspx), Black Creek Ravines Conservation Area (sjrwmd.com/recreationguide/blackcreekravines/), Gourd Island Conservation Area (sjrwmd.com/recreationguide/gourdisland), Fort Caroline National Memorial and Theodore Roosevelt Area (nps.gov/timu/planyourvisit/upload/tra_trail_map.pdf), Betz Tiger Point Preserve (coj.net/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/preservation-parks/betz-tiger-point-preserve.aspx), Jennings State Forest (freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Florida-Forest-Service/Our-Forests/State-Forests/Jennings-State-Forest), Simmons State Forest (freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Florida-Forest-Service/Our-Forests/State-Forests/Ralph-E-Simmons-State-Forest), Twelve Mile Swamp Conservation Area (sjrwmd.com/recreationguide/twelvemileswamp), and Stokes Landing Conservation Area (sjrwmd.com/recreationguide/stokeslanding).

RattlerGator

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »
Chris, thanks for that list.

Spitfire

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
I've done quite a few on your list, Chris.

Black Creek Ravine has to be my favorite, thus far. I took my dog out that way around Christmas, and it was a great hike. We saw all sorts of wildlife from white tail deer to raccoons to bald eagles.