Author Topic: San Diego Trip, A little help please.  (Read 1861 times)

02roadking

San Diego Trip, A little help please.
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:55:48 AM »
  So, if you were going to San Diego to watch the Jags beat the Chargers, where would be the best all around place to stay. I'm looking at Old Town area because it has a transportation hub for easy travel to DT and out to the stadium. I'm going to try, not having a rental car. 150.00 or so for hotel. The Cosmopolitan looks interesting.

Springfield since 1998

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: San Diego Trip, A little help please.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:50 AM »
Anywhere that's walking distance from the Trolley (light rail) works. San Diego is a great city. Old Town is awesome, but so is their downtown.

Since it's week 2, check the Padres schedule and catch a game if they're in town. Stadium is at the foot of the Gaslamp.

02roadking

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:08:28 AM »
Good idea on the Padres, we did the same for Vikings/Twins a few years ago.
Springfield since 1998

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:21 AM »
My last trip there, I stayed in the downtown/Gaslamp area. I didn't rent a car during that trip in San Diego or LA. I caught the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from LA (after going from LAX to DT LA via airport shuttle busto LRT/LRT to Silver Line BRT/Silver Line BRT to Union Station). I transferred from the Surfliner to the Trolley at San Diego's Union Station and got off at a DT trolly stop roughly one block away from the hotel.  Over the last 15 years, the area's transit network has expanded significantly, so as long as you're within walking distance of a Trolley station, you should have no problem getting around.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Snufflee

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
It is the Green Line from Old Town Transit Center to Qualcomm Stadium. Old Town, Gaslamp, Mission Bay.. you can't go wrong staying in any of these areas. The trolley can literally get you anywhere in the City and even areas out in East County if you are so inclined.
And so it goes

Snufflee

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »
Padres are on the road in Colorado that weekend..
And so it goes

mbwright

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 08:43:48 AM »
Balboa park and the zoo area are really cool, and worth a visit.  Coronado Island is also pretty nice.  Have fun.