Author Topic: Abolish Prisons - Totally & Absolutely  (Read 11122 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
Re: Abolish Prisons - Totally & Absolutely
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »
Prison is for the poor.  A respected lawyer has said the public defender system is broken. What follows is an example of the absurdity in sentencing that actually happened.  Three teenagers hold up the local barber shop, one stays in the car, one stands outside the shop and one holds up the place. They net $50. Now they can buy some weed. They get caught. Eventually all three take pleas. All three have no prior criminal record. Their court-appointed attorneys assure them they will get a couple of years and encourages the plea.

However the judge has other ideas. The judge in his sentencing order declares this a "horrible crime" deserving of a "severe sentence". He gives the guy who stood outside the shop and the one who stayed in the car a few years short of life using the "life expectancy tables" sending both away for 35 mandatory years (no parole eligibility). The stick-up guy, who pleads first, gets 10.

The way it works is, a jury could've sentenced them to life but a judge had to give them less than life; so an obvious incentive to plea.  The judge did not take any mitigating factors into consideration such as age, lack of criminal history, small damages, and no injuries. At his whim and prejudice, the judge buried them until they are well into their 50's without any chance for early release regardless of their young age at the time of the offense. The result is a total of 80 years combined at a cost of about $40,000 per year per inmate. So the big barber shop heist of $50 is going to cost the taxpayers around $3,000,000. What kind of deal is this? Plus it doesn't include 3 separate inmate appeals which can go on for 10 years a piece at taxpayer expense. What justifies this sort of thing? Not to mention the human toll.  Priceless.

Can you provide the link to this story?

ronchamblin

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
I've been informed that it is not an article, but a comment, which is larger than you've indicated; that is, all the way up to the last two paragraphs, the last two being an offering as a point of interest regarding Judge Olliff.  It is unfortunate that certain judges, especially judges who are obviously racist, can be judges for such a long time.  Even though he began his judgeship run perhaps at a time when racism was more common, and actually acceptable, its interesting that he was able to function as a judge up into the post civil rights era.

ben says

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 04:37:40 AM »
Prison is for the poor.

Speaking of which, great book, probably on your shelves: https://www.amazon.com/Rich-Get-Richer-Poor-Prison/dp/0205137725
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 06:54:20 AM »
I've been informed that it is not an article, but a comment, which is larger than you've indicated; that is, all the way up to the last two paragraphs, the last two being an offering as a point of interest regarding Judge Olliff.  It is unfortunate that certain judges, especially judges who are obviously racist, can be judges for such a long time.  Even though he began his judgeship run perhaps at a time when racism was more common, and actually acceptable, its interesting that he was able to function as a judge up into the post civil rights era.

I guess we will just have to take your word on Judge Olliff...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

camarocane

ronchamblin

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »
Prison is for the poor.

Speaking of which, great book, probably on your shelves: https://www.amazon.com/Rich-Get-Richer-Poor-Prison/dp/0205137725

Ben … you rascal you.  You’ve abandoned us poor souls in America … left us to suffer this mess.   But … yes, I’ve seen the book.  There are others similar.  Good luck in the wild sir.

[/quote]

I guess we will just have to take your word on Judge Olliff...
[/quote]

BT.  Actually, I pondered the appropriateness of mentioning Olliff’s racist comments made to me … particularly on one afternoon along about 2002 or so, in the world history aisle, in a reference, in small talk about the crime issues, to the blacks as being closer to the monkeys.

This kind of comment does not necessarily indicate his profound opinion, as it might have been said partially in jest, or after a particular event or memory of some cases he engaged.  After all, Olliff, for decades, confronted segments of society that were uneducated, desperate, and poor … and I suspect mostly black.  Repeated encounters with these individuals might cause a judge, or anyone, in frustration to wonder about their mental attributes and capabilities.  Of course we … those experiencing mostly the more placid non criminal world … have much less cause to make similar racist assumptions or comments.

But still, as to the appropriateness of my mentioning of his racist comments, I could have remained silent, but to do so would have hidden a truth, or at least an evidence suggesting a possible truth.  I suspect that he was simply “fed up”, disappointed, and discouraged … even in retirement ... about the perpetual criminal activity of this segment of society as witnessed over decades as he struggled to understand, contain, and judge it. 
We all get impatient and frustrated with the ignorant, the uneducated, and the stupid.  It wears on us, especially if we assume “we” are not in that group.  The fact that these characteristics appear generously in the white population as well as the black, is quite welcomed by most I suspect, as it destroys opinions and claims of black mental inferiorities, and instead attributes the cause of criminal behaviors more to the poverty, the desperation, the legacy of discrimination, and the habits and abuse of the justice/prison systems.

I do remember however, Olliff’s gentle nature, his kindness, and his willingness to talk of things of mutual interest.  I hope that his perch in heaven has allowed a calm wisdom, a forgiveness of my mention of the racist aspect as perceived by me; especially as he assumed I suspect, that forever, it would remain a secret between he and me.

Gunnar

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 06:39:14 AM »
Personally, I see two issues:

1.) A large range of potential sentences for crimes, i.e. for the same crime you could get a fine or a few years in prison. So if you are poor and so is your attorney's quality / interests in the case, you are more likely to get the max whereas if you are wealthy and can afford a good layer you may get off with a fine.

2.) Privatized prisons / commercial interest in prisons - this means there is a financial interest in sentencing as many people as possible, since more prisoners = more money.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

ben says

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:43 AM »
Prison is for the poor.

Ben … you rascal you.  You’ve abandoned us poor souls in America … left us to suffer this mess.   But … yes, I’ve seen the book.  There are others similar.  Good luck in the wild sir.

Ha, yes...thanks for the well wishes. I´ve found that living amongst those damn commies in Europe has been kind to me, so alas, won´t be heading back to live in the States anytime soon  ;)

Now all I need is a Chamblin´s over here and my life will be complete! (Will swing by next time I´m in town, which may be quite soon actually - please send my regards to Jen in the mean time!)
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2018, 05:56:26 AM »

Now all I need is a Chamblin´s over here and my life will be complete! (Will swing by next time I´m in town, which may be quite soon actually - please send my regards to Jen in the mean time!)

Too true! I just got back from over three weeks in Jax. I had the chance to visit both Chamblin's locations and was very impressed. I could probably have spent a day in the original location. And I managed to find an old book I was looking for in the Uptown location. So all good. I never realised what an amazing place Chamblin's was until I moved away. I think I just assumed places like that existed everywhere...
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”