Author Topic: Medical Office Building Proposed in Brooklyn  (Read 18463 times)

Kay

Re: Medical Office Building Proposed in Brooklyn
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »
I was the only one there from the public to speak about each project.  We really need folks who care about developing our urban environment in the right way to show up to this stuff.  Seriously.  Where are you folks? 

DDRB approved the conceptual design for the medical office.  I was not there for the entire conversation about this one. but I think there was talk about either removing some of the parking spaces along Park or relocating them.

DDRB did not approve the conceptual design of the Gate station.  They will hold a workshop with Gate on March 24 at 10 a.m.  It is open to the public.  Committee members did a good job explaining how getting this right will increase foot traffic on Park St. just like it has on Riverside Ave.  They want the building moved to the front.  They like the design of the building (it is not the one shown on this sight).  I agree that the building design is good.  DDRB has a real problem with the site plan.  Thank God!

I believe Gate has no intention of changing the site plan and will instead spend the time telling DDRB why the site plan cannot be changed.  Gate insists they need a loading zone behind the convenience store and therefore no other site layout is possible.  To have such a bad site plan for an urban area dictated by a loading area is ludicrous to me. 

Gate wants final approval in mid-April.  I hope DDRB stands firm and does not approve the current site plan.  If gas stations can be designed to fit urban areas in other cities, there simply is no excuse not to do it here.  Perhaps they have to sacrifice some of the pumps.  I mean where is there a gas station with 24 pumps?

Kay

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »
In this particular spot, it shouldn't be too bad. The parking lot facing Park is only 60' wide and other than the 24' wide entrance, the rest will be hidden from the street by a wall and landscaping. While it's not the ideal urban design, it's nowhere near the amount of asphalt sitting in front of Fresh Market or 220 Riverside. This little office project and the leg of parking off its Park Street entrance won't be the thing that keeps the area from hitting its stride.

The drive entrance does not have to be 24 feet wide.  We've reduced two-way vehicle access to 20 feet in Riverside.  Perhaps they can do one-way in on Park to make the drive access even narrower.  The applicant is concerned that old people won't be able to find a parking lot in the rear with a Park St. address.  I think they'd figure it out.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2016, 10:04:28 PM »
I was the only one there from the public to speak about each project.  We really need folks who care about developing our urban environment in the right way to show up to this stuff.  Seriously.  Where are you folks?

In my case...work. Right now, I have to pick and choose the minimal amount of time I can dedicate to leaving the office during work hours. With these two particular projects, neither pricked my heart enough to spend PTO on them.

They like the design of the building (it is not the one shown on this sight).  I agree that the building design is good.  DDRB has a real problem with the site plan.  Thank God!

Did they show something different from the drawings below?

I believe Gate has no intention of changing the site plan and will instead spend the time telling DDRB why the site plan cannot be changed.  Gate insists they need a loading zone behind the convenience store and therefore no other site layout is possible.  To have such a bad site plan for an urban area dictated by a loading area is ludicrous to me.

This stuff isn't rocket science.  The site is a square.  They can rotate it four different ways and still end up with a loading zone adjacent to the building.....while putting the outdoor dining area right on Park.  I know because I did a scaled quick sketch for giggles at my desk the other day.  I'll try and scan it tomorrow. 

Gate wants final approval in mid-April.  I hope DDRB stands firm and does not approve the current site plan.  If gas stations can be designed to fit urban areas in other cities, there simply is no excuse not to do it here.  Perhaps they have to sacrifice some of the pumps.  I mean where is there a gas station with 24 pumps?

They don't have to sacrifice anything.  They have a pretty large site already. It's a square and buildings can be rotated in multiple ways without sacrificing circulation, parking, square footage or number of pumps.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kay

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2016, 11:04:32 PM »

You mean all the people you described a couple of days ago as mere posters on some blog? ;)

I'm hoping those of you posting on this board find a way to reach out to Gate and ask them to do lots better.  And show up at DDRB to weigh in there.  It is going to take a lot more than a post on a blog.

probably would have been a great idea to respond to this post:

What's the contact info for the DDRB? This "post on a blog" will be useful for showing examples of the kind of thing the city should be expecting in the urban core.

Would love to help out, as you know. Perhaps the groups should have a bit more cooperation again.  The economy is getting better which means that things will start happening at a more rapid pace, and we all need to return to our 'a' game.

If the shoe fits.  You have to get involved to make a difference.  Why didn't you guys respond to that request?  I think I suggested Ennis could post the location of the meeting, the committee members, etc. 

Kay

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2016, 11:06:55 PM »

In my case...work. Right now, I have to pick and choose the minimal amount of time I can dedicate to leaving the office during work hours. With these two particular projects, neither pricked my heart enough to spend PTO on them.

They like the design of the building (it is not the one shown on this sight).  I agree that the building design is good.  DDRB has a real problem with the site plan.  Thank God!

Did they show something different from the drawings below?

This stuff isn't rocket science.  The site is a square.  They can rotate it four different ways and still end up with a loading zone adjacent to the building.....while putting the outdoor dining area right on Park.  I know because I did a scaled quick sketch for giggles at my desk the other day.  I'll try and scan it tomorrow. 

They don't have to sacrifice anything.  They have a pretty large site already. It's a square and buildings can be rotated in multiple ways without sacrificing circulation, parking, square footage or number of pumps.

Only difference I saw on site plan today was a walkway behind Chelsea for the bikers.  The bike/ped committee now approves of the Gate station design because they don't give a shit about the ped in their name.  The new building design is much different and in my opinion better than this one.  However, if they keep the same site plan you won't see it anyway.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
I had a previously scheduled meeting today but I will be present at the meeting on the 24th.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
DDRB approved the conceptual design for the medical office.  I was not there for the entire conversation about this one. but I think there was talk about either removing some of the parking spaces along Park or relocating them.

DDRB did not approve the conceptual design of the Gate station.  They will hold a workshop with Gate on March 24 at 10 a.m.  It is open to the public.  Committee members did a good job explaining how getting this right will increase foot traffic on Park St. just like it has on Riverside Ave.  They want the building moved to the front.  They like the design of the building (it is not the one shown on this sight).  I agree that the building design is good.  DDRB has a real problem with the site plan.  Thank God!

I'm supportive of both DDRB decisions. I really don't have a huge issue with Office building since it's addressed the street fairly well and sits on the lot line on the corner. I'd love them to see them flip the retail to the corner, and I get the point about the Parking on Park Street so hopefully they will adjust for final approval.

The Gate plan is awful - I'm hoping that they stick to their guns and I definitely think everyone should make some noise on that one. I personally have no issue with the 24 pumps per se - the lot is huge for the core. My issue is where they are. The excuse that Gate can't change is total bullshit. If national and regional chains like Target, Publix, Best Buy, etc. can do urban layouts and be successful, then Gate Petroleum can do it.

There are times when I think we should bend to make the development happen, but this isn't one. The lot is a prime intersection and a large piece of property - someone will have an interest. If Gate can't make a design that works for an urban location, so be it - tell them to walk away. I won't lose any sleep because we missed out on a Gate Gas Station.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
^The fact that 7-Eleven and Daily's have both recently built decent gas stations within Jax's urban core (on smaller lots) is all the proof needed that Gate can do better.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »
As stated before, Gate is going to push their low budget prototype hard.  Nobody really has to use their brain or change drawings much from the countless other ones they done around here, hence low cost.  They may have already agreed on a contract with a design team.  Obviously changing their prototype is not their first option, but I'm sure they will make modifications if necessary.
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

Kerry

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2016, 09:24:58 AM »
Kay - thank for showing up.  My problem is I work out of state and am only home a few days a month, however, I will be home on March 24.  I have a meeting scheduled at the same time as the workshop but maybe I can get it moved.  If nothing else, I would like to at least see how the process works.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:24:18 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
Work on the medical building site is already underway. Here's a few pics from Saturday:

Timkin

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
I hope Annie Lytle is not the next target for this developer. 

mtraininjax

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
Timken - Everyone in local media knows that the Annie Lytle is located on Avondale, so no problem there. wink, wink...

Glad to see the old McDonalds on the corner finally go away. Jimmy Johns must be dancing a jig!
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Timkin

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2016, 02:14:44 PM »
no argument there, Train. 

The developer on that project wants the AL property. minus the School.   

No secret that the outlying land owner who was the former owner of the School now wants to tie it all back together.  Which means they either have a way to save it and the money in place ( not likely in my honest opinion ) ..or

They have an ironclad way to finally get it removed, which is what they always intended to do ( again just my opinion,  but I think the latter is closer to accurate)

Time will tell .