Author Topic: Medical Office Building Proposed in Brooklyn  (Read 18488 times)

Kerry

Re: Medical Office Building Proposed in Brooklyn
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »
This site plan needs to be challenged.  We should really try to create an urban streetscape on Park St.  That means parking lots fronting Park St. would not happen.  The entry can be solely on Rosselle.

Agree 100%
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »
Well, according to the code, their minimum parking requirement is 18 spaces. So I guess the DDRB could limit them to less than the requested 63. With that said, DDRB staff is recommending approval if the board grants them their parking deviation.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 10:34:53 PM »
The parking in the back of the property already exists. The new parking appears to be for the retail shop. So, it seems highly unlikely that DDRB would tell them to reduce the parking.

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 11:03:20 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a citizens group that is active in the Brooklyn area.  As I said earlier, I just moved to this area and would like to be involved in helping the area grow into a dense walking-based neighborhood.
Third Place

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 11:42:30 PM »
Just like Brooklyn Station, the unfortunate part of that design is they initially constructed the surface parking right up to Riverside Ave, and it will likely remain that way for a couple decades thus casting a pseudo-suburban shadow over the area just blocks from downtown for some time to come, unless land value skyrockets. 

The best we can hope for is a skyway station coming down in front of that lot to disguise the suburban layout.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 05:59:35 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a citizens group that is active in the Brooklyn area.  As I said earlier, I just moved to this area and would like to be involved in helping the area grow into a dense walking-based neighborhood.
There used to be one. However, most of the old school Brooklyn residents have been replaced by newcomers, so I'm not sure.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 04:01:46 PM »
There used to be one. However, most of the old school Brooklyn residents have been replaced by newcomers, so I'm not sure.

When was that? Most of the old residents were replaced with, well, nothing long before the new developments got off the ground. All I've heard recently was the attempt to landmark some of the old buildings, which the residents rejected.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »
When I first came to town, there were charrettes going on concerning Brooklyn and the Riverside Avenue widening. At the time, I met the Brooklyn Neighborhood Association's President Ayesha Covington. Since that time, most of the neighborhood was removed for the a dead project that eventually became Brooklyn Riverside and Shoppes of Riverside.  Today, I'm not sure if the Brooklyn Neighborhood Association is still around.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

Kay

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »

When was that? Most of the old residents were replaced with, well, nothing long before the new developments got off the ground. All I've heard recently was the attempt to landmark some of the old buildings, which the residents rejected.

My understanding is it would have passed except one owner of multiple properties voted against it and he got to cast a vote for each property.  And he isn't someone who lives there.

Kay

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »

There is no active group at this time in Brooklyn.  If you live in one of the new apartment buildings, can you see if you can get even a small group interested in advocating for good urban design?

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »

There is no active group at this time in Brooklyn.  If you live in one of the new apartment buildings, can you see if you can get even a small group interested in advocating for good urban design?

I wouldn't even begin to know where to start, but if there any like-minded people in the area I would be willing to participate.
Third Place

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 09:48:45 PM »
Start with Alex Coley since he claimed he would be a resident.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »
Construction fences are going up around this site today. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »
That was quick. No months of press releases and slick renderings for the public to dream about.