Author Topic: Political cartoons  (Read 991662 times)

Snufflee

Re: Political cartoons
« Reply #5910 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »
Their is no joke here, couldn't have a Latino women who actually stands against the establishment make comments and not be reduced to a meme.
And so it goes

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #5911 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:10 AM »
Their is no joke here, couldn't have a Latino women who actually stands against the establishment make comments and not be reduced to a meme.

^^^^ +1000

When the GOP started their critique of AOC with she danced as a teenager they really gave her great leverage to dismiss their petty barbs. They still seem to be reduced to trying to pretend she said something she didn't just to make their memes work.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #5912 on: June 21, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
BT, I owe you an apology. When I saw the AOC cartoon, I was disappointed with your pick as I didn't think it was very good. However, the comments that have followed have been gold....gold, Jerry.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #5913 on: June 21, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
By George! I think he gets it!

I honestly don't follow.

The cartoon was factually incorrect - AOC (for all her faults) never claimed America was like a concentration camp. She claimed the detention camps were. So Uncle Sam's comment about people climbing fences makes no sense - they're climbing fences to get into the USA (not a detention camp).

So what's the joke? The cartoon clearly is a criticism of AOC - but it's clearly misrepresenting her words to make its "joke".

I normally charge a pint for explaining cartoons. However, this is getting pretty bad. I would need a flight thrown in as well.

Snufflee

« Reply #5914 on: June 21, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »
You can dislike her politics and disagree with her positions and comments, what you can't deny is that she has been consistent and unlike the rest of the Democratic party she at least stands for something. As a proud DSA member I certainly hope more young people follow her lead and drive the left further left and win or lose abandon this centrist crap.
And so it goes

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5915 on: June 21, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
By George! I think he gets it!

I honestly don't follow.

The cartoon was factually incorrect - AOC (for all her faults) never claimed America was like a concentration camp. She claimed the detention camps were. So Uncle Sam's comment about people climbing fences makes no sense - they're climbing fences to get into the USA (not a detention camp).

So what's the joke? The cartoon clearly is a criticism of AOC - but it's clearly misrepresenting her words to make its "joke".

I normally charge a pint for explaining cartoons. However, this is getting pretty bad. I would need a flight thrown in as well.

Well, maybe I can buy you a pint when I'm next in Jax. I hear there's a new option for that. Barring that, we can always get a couple of 32 oz bottles of Colt 45 and hang out in the empty lot where the Landing used to be.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5916 on: June 21, 2019, 02:16:39 PM »
BT, I owe you an apology. When I saw the AOC cartoon, I was disappointed with your pick as I didn't think it was very good. However, the comments that have followed have been gold....gold, Jerry.

Is BT's name Jerry? I never knew that. If so, I'm intrigued.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5917 on: June 21, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »

That's a Seinfeld reference.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #5918 on: June 21, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »

If I have to explain that one too, that's going to be yet another pint. Visit might get expensive.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5919 on: June 21, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »

If I have to explain that one too, that's going to be yet another pint. Visit might get expensive.

Sorry for missing that. It's been donkey's years since I last watched Seinfeld. Aside from "no soup for you" and a handful of other bits, I have forgotten most of it.

I can buy you Drake's coffee cake and we can call it even.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #5920 on: June 21, 2019, 04:19:32 PM »

Sorry for missing that. It's been donkey's years since I last watched Seinfeld. Aside from "no soup for you" and a handful of other bits, I have forgotten most of it.

I can buy you Drake's coffee cake and we can call it even.

Love the Drake!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5921 on: July 02, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5922 on: July 30, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5923 on: September 06, 2019, 07:28:46 AM »
Happy Friday!   8)

Snaketoz

« Reply #5924 on: September 06, 2019, 12:48:01 PM »
And hope most of the games aren't like Thursday night's stinker.