Author Topic: Melissa Etheridge at the Thrasher Horne!  (Read 6318 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Melissa Etheridge at the Thrasher Horne!
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:25:01 AM »
Melissa Etheridge at the Thrasher Horne!

The Thrasher-Horne Center for the Arts continues its groundbreaking inaugural season under new Executive Director Denton Yockey on February 17, 2016 with a performance by legendary singer-songwriter Melissa Etheridge, touring in support of her most recent album, This Is M.E.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-jan-melissa-etheridge-at-the-thrasher-horne

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Melissa Etheridge at the Thrasher Horne!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:15:43 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't think "groundbreaking inaugural season" and Melissa Etheridge should ever be mentioned in the same sentence. At this stage in her career, she should probably be playing at Shades (if that's still around).
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 11:30:16 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't think "groundbreaking inaugural season" and Melissa Etheridge should ever be mentioned in the same sentence. At this stage in her career, she should probably be playing at Shades (if that's still around).

Adam, I know your in the UK, so you might not realize that this is the Thrasher Horne's first real Season.  Technically its both ground breaking and inaugural for the entire year. ;)

And Melissa is going through a real change in her career and music.  Ive been listening to highlights of the interview she gave Karrissa Wade for Metrojacksonville and I think you might find her viewpoint pretty surprising.

Melissa Etheridge ceased being relevant a long time ago. Even if her current album is good (which I doubt, but as I haven't heard it, I can't really offer an opinion). To be fair, I never cared for her. I'm sure she's going through a real change in her career and her music. That's what happens.

I wonder how long until she does the whole, "releases album of standards and says that's the kind of music she really loves" thing.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »

Adam, I know your in the UK, so you might not realize that this is the Thrasher Horne's first real Season.  Technically its both ground breaking and inaugural for the entire year. ;)

And Melissa is going through a real change in her career and music.  Ive been listening to highlights of the interview she gave Karrissa Wade for Metrojacksonville and I think you might find her viewpoint pretty surprising.

Melissa Etheridge ceased being relevant a long time ago. Even if her current album is good (which I doubt, but as I haven't heard it, I can't really offer an opinion). To be fair, I never cared for her. I'm sure she's going through a real change in her career and her music. That's what happens.

lol.  strange way of not offering an opinion, lol. Must be a tough tuesday afternoon.  Ready for a beer and home yet? ;)

Maybe unwind with a geritol and the latest Melissa Etheridge album!

All kidding aside though, it's nice to see a venue getting national acts to play in NE Florida.

joshuataylor

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »
It's nice to hear "hipsters of a certain age" chiming in on which pop artists have "jumped the shark", while also being first to bemoan current pop artists as well. Must be a very lonely place when you hate both the past and the present.

I personally like to believe true talent is timeless. But that's just my non-jaded opinion.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »
It's nice to hear "hipsters of a certain age" chiming in on which pop artists have "jumped the shark", while also being first to bemoan current pop artists as well. Must be a very lonely place when you hate both the past and the present.

I personally like to believe true talent is timeless. But that's just my non-jaded opinion.

I don't recall bemoaning current pop artists. Maybe I did - when you get to be my age, your memory isn't so great anymore.

Thanks for your input.

joshuataylor

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »

I don't recall bemoaning current pop artists. Maybe I did - when you get to be my age, your memory isn't so great anymore.

Thanks for your input.

Who would you rather see at the Thrasher-Horne - Selena Gomez or Justin Beiber?

joshuataylor

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks for your input

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »

Both.  At the same time.  For an 'unplugged' acoustic set.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

funwithteeth

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
Looking at Thrasher-Horne's upcoming schedule, Melissa Etheridge seems right on target for the kind of audience they're hoping to pull. My own feelings on her music—which are likely close to Adam's—are irrelevant here.

joshuataylor's counterarguments are a little weird.

joshuataylor

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
All relevancy arguments aside, the simple fact that we have an LGBT rights pioneer of Etheridge's caliber headlining a venue in Orange Park shows just how far we've progressed within the region (despite what the city council might believe).

Maybe that's what was meant by "groundbreaking".

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »

Thanks for your input.

I guess whoever is the bigger star. I certainly would love to see the Thrasher centre do well and draw acts of national (and international) importance.

If you mean it as "which one would I go see," I have to say I have no idea. I know very little of either artist. If I had to choose, I suppose I'd choose Justin Bieber, as I know one of his songs.

I am a 44 year old man. I think it would be pretty creepy if I were a Belieber. But it would be pretty funny.

If the charge is that I don't have my finger firmly on the pulse of popular music, then I have to hold my hand up. I completely admit that I don't keep up with what is new and popular. That's probably a function of my advancing middle age as much as it is a consequence of my not owning a radio (I don't have a car and never listened to the radio when I wasn't driving). I think I manage to know one or two of the songs (if that) on each new volume of Now That's What I Call Music. I'm okay with that.

I still discover new music all the time - unfortunately, I guess, it's more "new to me" than it is "new". But there's still hope.

As I understood your original post, it contended that I "bemoan" current pop artists. I don't bemoan the state of music today nor do I begrudge Bieber, Gomez or anyone else his or her success. I certainly am not the target demographic (in most cases) and probably would shy away from offering too strong an opinion on the merits of today's top stars. I suppose that's why I feel comfortable slating Etheridge, a fellow Gen-Xer.

But as they say, opinions are like assholes or whatever.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:20:39 PM by Adam White »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
All relevancy arguments aside, the simple fact that we have an LGBT rights pioneer of Etheridge's caliber headlining a venue in Orange Park shows just how far we've progressed within the region (despite what the city council might believe).

Maybe that's what was meant by "groundbreaking".

Maybe it is! I thought, based on your reaction, that you wrote the article. Sorry for making that assumption.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 02:58:57 PM »
Looking at Thrasher-Horne's upcoming schedule, Melissa Etheridge seems right on target for the kind of audience they're hoping to pull. My own feelings on her music—which are likely close to Adam's—are irrelevant here.

joshuataylor's counterarguments are a little weird.

I have a feeling that josh taylor and adam white have known each other for a number of years and are poking back and forth. ;)

We have a lot of friends - or a number of friends - in common, but I can't say with any certainty that we've met. Clearly he knows enough of me to know I'm a hipster of a certain age. Guilty as charged!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
So looking forward to seeing her in concert tonight!

I'm sure you're not the only one.