Author Topic: Beach Boulevard Landscaping  (Read 15935 times)

KenFSU

Beach Boulevard Landscaping
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:23:45 PM »
Any thoughts on the palm trees going up in the medians on Beach Boulevard?

Personally, I kinda hate 'em  :P

Too South Florida for my tastes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Beach Boulevard Landscaping
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
It looks better than what was there before. Nevertheless, we've forgotten the real importance of street trees. It appears that pedestrians on Beach's sidewalks will still be exposed to the sun.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Marle Brando

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
I noticed this yesterday as well. I must say I kinda like em. Doesn't do much for the pedestrians walking down beach bjut then again its basically a highway in itself so Im not too concerned with the non placement of shade trees. I dont get a south florida feel at all, i mean it is the beaches afterall. It gives the area a lift IMO.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 04:59:58 PM »
Here's some pictures from last week:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »
Btw, here's a few pics of a project my firm was a part of that was recently completed in Daytona Beach.  Similar corridor made to be more pedestrian and bicycle friendly:

Before:

After:

Converted open ditches to closed drainage system, which then created space to widen sidewalks to 12' and buffer them more from the 50mph 8-lane street.  To enhance safety, fencing and landscaping where utilized to channel pedestrians to pedestrian overpasses and marked crosswalks at signalized intersections.

Would have been nice if the utilities could have been buried but I guess when it comes to funding, you take one step at a time.  In the long run, the land use modifications limiting building setbacks will be wonders...even in the middle of suburbia.

This new Olive Garden and Bahama Breeze both front the new sidewalks and their surface parking is in the rear of the property.  The space, connecting US 92's sidewalks, the restaurants and their parking lots was set up as an outdoor courtyard with covered outdoor restaurant seating. That's a far cry from the new places lining Beach Blvd today:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:21:16 PM by thelakelander »

spuwho

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »
It looks better than what was there before. Nevertheless, we've forgotten the real importance of street trees. It appears that pedestrians on Beach's sidewalks will still be exposed to the sun.

After FDOT finished reconstructing US90 (Beach Blvd) I have been wondering when the landscaping was going to catch up.

The biggest issue with the palms is left turners onto Beach lose visibility to traffic coming up in the opposing left turn lane, who technically will have the right of way.

It is beginning to remind me of Margaret Mcadi Ave. coming into Durban in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.

Marle Brando

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
Great project and good example of how Beach Blvd. could have been made more pedestrian friendly. However being that the project your firm completed was in the immediate vicinity of the Daytona speedway, I can see how a bigger investment into the pedestrian side of things was needed due to heavy foot traffic, etc. Im not sure those kind of improvements would be justified on Beach blvd. because quite frankly no one is out walking along the highway in large enough numbers to do so, and there is no real draw or attraction along that stretch until you reach the actual 'beach' itself.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »
People walk when there is a reason and environment worth walking in. Right now that doesn't exist on Beach or ISB (outside of special events). However, that community is attempting to change. The intergration of transportation improvements and complementing land use policies are a part of a larger effort to alter the context.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »
Good examples in Daytona. I can see how funding might be a deterrent for so much all at once so I suppose one step at a time is what we'll have to deal with. I live on Hodges and Beach right now and personally I like the trees. It is very south florida but at the same time it is way better than the nothingness that was there before. When they are fully established it should be nice. If officials see how much it changes the feel then they might be willing to bring more improvements to the pedestrian experience sooner.

howfam

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
We should be so lucky as to look as good as south Florida in many ways, particularly in landscaping. Palm trees are the right choice for any Florida city, and it gives the relaxed laid back feel and look that visitors expect to see when they come here. The recent extension of the project across the intracoastal into Jax Beach put the icing on the cake. More palms please!!

remc86007

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »
^ I agree. I think the palm trees really make the area look nice and friends from out of town have commented how it makes it feel like you are actually near a beach.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »
Is the Complete Streets initiative still happening?  Wasn't there a working group looking to implement a complete streets county-wide, factoring in the same considerations that went into the Prudential Drive project?  The idea was to find ways to make roads and streets all over the city more accommodating to and safer for walkers and bikers. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

KenFSU

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
The palms trees have really grown on me, even though they can make left turns across Beach pretty dangerous in spots due to the obstruction of sightlines.

RattlerGator

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
I never understood the critique of it supposedly making the feel too "South Florida" -- I mean, are you kidding? That look is unique to South Florida? In what universe?