Author Topic: Mars Lives.  (Read 65957 times)

stephendare

Mars Lives.
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSN2634952620080626
By Jill Serjeant

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Flabbergasted" NASA scientists said on Thursday that Martian soil appeared to contain the requirements to support life, although more work would be needed to prove it.

Scientists working on the Phoenix Mars Lander mission, which has already found ice on the planet, said preliminary analysis by the lander's instruments on a sample of soil scooped up by the spacecraft's robotic arm had shown it to be much more alkaline than expected.

"We basically have found what appears to be the requirements, the nutrients, to support life whether past present or future," Sam Kounaves, the lead investigator for the wet chemistry laboratory on Phoenix, told journalists.

"It is the type of soil you would probably have in your back yard, you know, alkaline. You might be able to grow asparagus in it really well. ... It is very exciting for us."

The 1 cubic meter (35 cubic feet) of soil was taken from about 1 inch below the surface of Mars and had a pH, or alkaline, level of 8 or 9. "We were all flabbergasted at the data we got back," Kounaves said.

Pressed on whether there was still any doubt that life existed on Mars in some form, Kounaves said the results were "very preliminary" and more analysis was needed.

But he added: "There is nothing about the soil that would preclude life. In fact, it seems very friendly ... there is nothing about it that is toxic."

The $420 million Phoenix lander touched down in the north pole region of Mars on May 25 after a 10-month journey from Earth. It is the latest NASA bid to determine whether water -- a crucial ingredient for life -- ever flowed on the planet and whether life, even in the form of mere microbes, exists or ever existed there.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
Re: Mars Lives.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
Oh I get it now.  Duh.  It's less about Life Mars and more about who quoted a correct source first.
Well, I talked about Life on mars on this forum over a year ago.  So, yeah me!
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:34:45 PM »
I love this stuff... right now we have two rovers alive and well on Mars and now the Pheonix probe has found ice and habitable soil...

Microbes or bacteria are next.... Wahoo!!!!!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »

hee hee

Ocklawaha

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
I love this stuff... right now we have two rovers alive and well on Mars and now the Pheonix probe has found ice and habitable soil...

So what does that mean for us?  I mean Mankind?  Remember, if we were meant to really travel, live, or subsist in the Heavens, let alone another planet, we would have been born out there, live there, or able to travel or live out there without the aid of machines (rocket ships, star ships, etc.).  Earth was created for Man, animals, and whatever other living organisms and things are now here as a result of that initial creation.  The other planets are void and/or hostile to humans and other living things that live on our planet; and...space is even more hostile with no atmosphere, air, or any type environment hospitable to humans and/or other living things on our planet; therefore, we can assess that we were meant to be right here on Mother Earth and no where else (one of the reasons why we have gravity, to keep us down here).  We may go to Mars, other planets, or possibly other solar systems one day, but granted we will not live there like most dream about or think.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »
Remember, if we were meant to really travel, live, or subsist in the Heavens, let alone another planet, we would have been born out there, live there, or able to travel or live out there without the aid of machines (rocket ships, star ships, etc

Geeze man, with thinking like that, we would have never left Eden, or once expelled we sure wouldn't have left Iraq... How bad would THAT suck. If Columbus had thought like this, he would have gone down as another of the thousands of sailors that spent a lifetime off the coast of Europe. You know, "New Worlds" and all that stuff is dangerous to your health. Granted there were those of us who were already here. Is this where religion crosses science? My own reglious view are a mix of very consertative doctrine and a mix of quite liberal application. If they have no use, no point, no promise, no purpose, nothingness and void... then why would the Creator of the universe waste His time? Perhaps we have seen heaven and don't even know it? Perhaps we'll get close. Perhaps we'll find hell. Or maybe, like a jungle gym in a playground, he gave it to us as our own backyard. An infinate playground.

As for the Chinese going to theeven used vacuum tubes and electronics! Good work! Meanwhile, we've been flying around in deep space, landing on Venus, Mars and orbiting several others. By the time you read this we will probably be walking around on Mars or Neptune. By the way the rover is in the second canyon to the left, the keys are in it..." Love Uncle Sam moon. I heard NASA left them a sign: It reads, "Welcome Comrades, glad your sorry Red Advance finally got your sorry butts up here. We were here back in the 1960's, came back time and again until we decided it was a rather mundane adventure. We're REAL proud of your advancement anyhow. Viva China and all that...Damn, we bet you .

Ocklawaha

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:01:31 AM »

So what does that mean for us?  I mean Mankind?  Remember, if we were meant to really travel, live, or subsist in the Heavens, let alone another planet, we would have been born out there, live there, or able to travel or live out there without the aid of machines (rocket ships, star ships, etc.).  Earth was created for Man, animals, and whatever other living organisms and things are now here as a result of that initial creation.  The other planets are void and/or hostile to humans and other living things that live on our planet; and...space is even more hostile with no atmosphere, air, or any type environment hospitable to humans and/or other living things on our planet; therefore, we can assess that we were meant to be right here on Mother Earth and no where else (one of the reasons why we have gravity, to keep us down here).  We may go to Mars, other planets, or possibly other solar systems one day, but granted we will not live there like most dream about or think.

Heights Unknown

Wow... please pardon my naivete but I did not think people still thought like that!!!  What???  I suppose we should not fly in airplanes or sail in ships or descend in submarines.  Are you Amish? 

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 07:20:20 AM »

So what does that mean for us?  I mean Mankind?  Remember, if we were meant to really travel, live, or subsist in the Heavens, let alone another planet, we would have been born out there
Heights Unknown

Well, we certainly came from there and we've already been back.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 07:50:16 AM »
Remember, if we were meant to really travel, live, or subsist in the Heavens, let alone another planet, we would have been born out there, live there, or able to travel or live out there without the aid of machines (rocket ships, star ships, etc

Geeze man, with thinking like that, we would have never left Eden, or once expelled we sure wouldn't have left Iraq... How bad would THAT suck. If Columbus had thought like this, he would have gone down as another of the thousands of sailors that spent a lifetime off the coast of Europe. You know, "New Worlds" and all that stuff is dangerous to your health. Granted there were those of us who were already here. Is this where religion crosses science? My own reglious view are a mix of very consertative doctrine and a mix of quite liberal application. If they have no use, no point, no promise, no purpose, nothingness and void... then why would the Creator of the universe waste His time? Perhaps we have seen heaven and don't even know it? Perhaps we'll get close. Perhaps we'll find hell. Or maybe, like a jungle gym in a playground, he gave it to us as our own backyard. An infinate playground.

As for the Chinese going to theeven used vacuum tubes and electronics! Good work! Meanwhile, we've been flying around in deep space, landing on Venus, Mars and orbiting several others. By the time you read this we will probably be walking around on Mars or Neptune. By the way the rover is in the second canyon to the left, the keys are in it..." Love Uncle Sam moon. I heard NASA left them a sign: It reads, "Welcome Comrades, glad your sorry Red Advance finally got your sorry butts up here. We were here back in the 1960's, came back time and again until we decided it was a rather mundane adventure. We're REAL proud of your advancement anyhow. Viva China and all that...Damn, we bet you .

Ocklawaha

You might be right about my thinking or even my attitude but deep inside you know I am correct.  At least in those instances we could make the choice to leave, or even if we were expulsed, there was air, rain, wind, clouds, food, all of the things to sustain humans/mankind; if we leave this beautiful planet that was created especially for us called earth, and we make one wrong move, or fail to plan carefully and exactly, we are dead.  At least here if we make a wrong move or make a mistake, we can move on to another part of the planet and all of our life support (air, sunshine, etc.) are still here.  We were not meant to live in space or any of the other planets; Earth is our home.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:56:33 AM »
We'll probably get hit  by an astroid before any of that happens.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:02:50 AM »

Ocklawaha

You might be right about my thinking or even my attitude but deep inside you know I am correct.  At least in those instances we could make the choice to leave, or even if we were expulsed, there was air, rain, wind, clouds, food, all of the things to sustain humans/mankind; if we leave this beautiful planet that was created especially for us called earth, and we make one wrong move, or fail to plan carefully and exactly, we are dead.  At least here if we make a wrong move or make a mistake, we can move on to another part of the planet and all of our life support (air, sunshine, etc.) are still here.  We were not meant to live in space or any of the other planets; Earth is our home.

Heights Unknown
"Earth is our home."
All children are meant to leave home eventually...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »
At this time it is not about "living" on other planets.  It is about exploring our neighborhood... learning about it.  Humans have been doing this since... well... since we became human.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:17:19 AM »
Hunting food got us out of Eden now it's about exploration and expanding our minds.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
I was wondering what the rover uncovered.

Too bad they didn't send any microbes or asparagus seeds to plant.  :)