Author Topic: Six Flags over Florida????  (Read 44427 times)

KennyLovesJAX

Six Flags over Florida????
« on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:18 PM »
 ;D It was be so great for the ecomony and will boost tourism for all of NE Florida. What do you guys think?

Charleston native

Re: Six Flags over Florida????
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
Good idea...very tough, well-entrenched competition from other portions of the state. Considering the Six Flags I've been too in California and Colorado, a NE Florida park would have to significantly surpass the norm, in cleanliness, in aesthetics and themes, and in nearby recreation and accomodations.

I think it can be done, but somebody will have to seriously shell out ALOT of $$$.

chipwich

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »
Florida's closest thing to a real roller-coaster oriented amusement park is Busch Gardens.  I think if we got a Six Flags it could hold its own.  Coaster enthusiasts are a different market than the Orlando crowd.  They will never generate the international crowd or attendance of Orlando's grand resorts, but certainly they have a good chance to set a stable, new market in Florida tourism.

A Charleston said, it would have to be pretty freaking good.  It would have to have Cedar Point quality rides to go toe to with Orlando parks. 

Great idea though.  Let us hope!

blizz01

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
And don't forget that Myrtle Beach JUST opened a brand new park (Hard Rock theme), so there's another southeast option........

Charleston native

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »
My family will be going to Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks, and we plan to check the park out. Many have said that this park will enhance and improve MB's image as a family-oriented tourist destination, making it an "Orlando of South Carolina", if you will.

Chip, that is exactly correct; an equivalent of Cedar Point or better is the only option for this idea! You also made an interesting observation about the market a Jax park could attract. Coaster enthusiasts are a rather stable, reliable market demographic, especially if you have the rides that will interest them. Maybe if the park was as good or better than Cedar Point, Jax could start seeing more hotels and resorts being built to further increase tourism, and if the Chamber of Commerce and Visitor's Bureau had any foresight, they could promote the historic areas, the river, and downtown to bring in more visitors.

Imagine spending a day riding intense rides and the next day attending a Jags game, coupled with eating at some downtown restaurants, then another day riding a boat or going to the beach?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:58 AM »
;D It was be so great for the ecomony and will boost tourism for all of NE Florida. What do you guys think?

Great idea; and...it needs to be in Jacksonville or the Jacksonville area.  The first Florida tourist attraction upon entering the State from the North...I don't think we've (Florida) ever had such a thing and this would be a first; Jax is still the Gateway to Florida and as such should get the Tourists/Northerners warmed up before heading South...especially in the not to warm winter months.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

Dapperdan

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
I hate to burst evryone's buble, but  Six Flags has been systematically shutting down  and consolidating parks. I don't see them building an entire new one anytime soon. Wild Adventures will have to do for now.

thebrokenforum

• Broken Sword Publications
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:57:11 AM »
I might be wrong but hasn't there been initiatives to bring an amusement park to Jax in the past that were shot down by the city? It seems like the city leaders are usually opposed to growing tourism in this city (which sucks). Again, I'm not sure but I remember one of the bases being discussed as a possible location for a park - Cecil Field? But it was balked at by city hall. Anyone remember that?

Charleston native

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:21:27 AM »
I hate to burst evryone's buble, but  Six Flags has been systematically shutting down  and consolidating parks. I don't see them building an entire new one anytime soon. Wild Adventures will have to do for now.
That was my earlier point, Dapperdan. If Jax gets a Six Flags park (or any nationally known park for that matter), it will need to greatly surpass the normal standards for current Six Flags parks, since they're considered drastically over-priced state fairs.

David

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
That was my earlier point, Dapperdan. If Jax gets a Six Flags park (or any nationally known park for that matter), it will need to greatly surpass the normal standards for current Six Flags parks, since they're considered drastically over-priced state fairs.

That's a bit harsh on six-flags. You could say that about any theme park, they're all overpriced adventure landings! Disney's just a jacked up toy store...wait isn't wild adventures valdosta literally an overpriced carnival?  But back to six-flags,  they have great roller-coasters, that's all most of us coaster junkies care about.

I remember when there were rumors circulating about a sixflags popping up at cecil field in the 90's...that would be great if jax could get something going for it. I'm sure people would make it part of their florida get-away if we gave them more of a reason to get off the interstate.

Charleston native

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 11:54:10 AM »
That's a bit harsh on six-flags. You could say that about any theme park, they're all overpriced adventure landings! Disney's just a jacked up toy store...wait isn't wild adventures valdosta literally an overpriced carnival?  But back to six-flags,  they have great roller-coasters, that's all most of us coaster junkies care about...
Pardon me if I disagree. I've found Six Flags to be that way for several reasons:
  • They have many dirty, trashy areas (many rides have bubblegum stuck all over their waiting areas).
  • Attention to detail with themed areas is lacking, including cheaply made facades, shoddy landscaping, and chain link fencing that borders waiting line areas.
  • Lack of distinct, noticeable themes. If you're going to theme an area, you need to immerse your park attendees in the theme...make them feel as if they really are in a different world.
  • Price of food and concessions is ridiculously expensive. Yes, in Disney, it's also expensive, but I do feel that I get what I pay for in terms of quantity and quality. For $10.00 at Disney, I can get a filling meal: huge burger/entree, fries/fruit/other side dish, and a large drink. At the same price at Six Flags, I get a small, thin slice of pizza and a small Pepsi.
  • Variety of food at Six Flags is pretty limited. I can get just about anything in a Disney park.
Sure, I'm a fan of Disney vacations, but that's because they know how to cater to their customers. Six Flags has some intense rides and a carnival feel, but that's not going to bring in huge numbers. I hate to say it, but roller coaster enthusiast market isn't a large number in comparison to the vacation family market.

cayohueso

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »
This has been an occasional topic in this area, but it's 2008 and if it hasn't happened yet, well...it ain't gonna.
I remember when St. John's Co. was heaping praise on World Golf Village as being a beacon of entertainment that was more than welcome in their county as it would bring in millions upon millions of dollars in revenue. The St. John's Co. board of commissioners said that WGV attracted the "caliber" of people they would like to see in that area. They thought that a large theme park like Six Flags would bring the wrong element "down" to their area. Yeah, I know code when I hear it too. Of course Jacksonville wasn't too much better. Cecil Field was never going to be anything but an "industrial campus"...and yet they could never keep contracts there happy or attract new ones. Cecil would have been a great site, lots of infrastructure, one runway was long enough to act as an emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle even. Jacksonville, even with the beaches, is just not like the rest of tourist based Florida. What works there won't fly here, even though it could have been really cool to have a 400 ft vertical drop like Top Fuel in Cedar Point. Hmmm if only we were a Sandusky.

thebrokenforum

• Broken Sword Publications
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
Jacksonville, even with the beaches, is just not like the rest of tourist based Florida.

I agree with you but it doesn't have to stay that way forever. At least I hope not. You always hear people talking about Jax being perfect for this or that but as you said, it never seems to fly here. Progressive as well as aggressive thinking leaders could change that though...years from now but it has to start somewhere.

David

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
That's a bit harsh on six-flags. You could say that about any theme park, they're all overpriced adventure landings! Disney's just a jacked up toy store...wait isn't wild adventures valdosta literally an overpriced carnival?  But back to six-flags,  they have great roller-coasters, that's all most of us coaster junkies care about...
Pardon me if I disagree. I've found Six Flags to be that way for several reasons:
  • They have many dirty, trashy areas (many rides have bubblegum stuck all over their waiting areas).
  • Attention to detail with themed areas is lacking, including cheaply made facades, shoddy landscaping, and chain link fencing that borders waiting line areas.
  • Lack of distinct, noticeable themes. If you're going to theme an area, you need to immerse your park attendees in the theme...make them feel as if they really are in a different world.

nice bulletpoint presentation there!

here's mine:

- they have good rollercoasters.

the end.

I'll let you have this round though, gaaaaadgettt.  I'm not that passionate about defending sixflags compared to most amusement parks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:08:59 PM by David »

Johnny

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
Six Flags over Atlanta is the only Six Flags I've been to, but I enjoy it when I go. I have yet to try the Valdosta park, but I might just do that in the next month since I'm thinking of it. I'm a huge coaster fan and Six Flags brings to the table something that our Orlando parks hasn't quite done yet. They are trying, but need some more major thrill rides.

I've heard Jax may get a Six Flags for a decade now, I don't see it happening or it would have probably happened already. First it was supposed to be out near Clay County, then it was Cecil Field... If we were to get it, we should put it in La Villa  ;D  Does any other downtown areas have a roller coaster? That'd be sweet!