Author Topic: Where Jacksonville Scores: The Sports Complexes  (Read 7420 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Where Jacksonville Scores: The Sports Complexes
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:25:02 AM »

FSBA

Re: Where Jacksonville Scores: The Sports Complexes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:21:31 AM »
Good stuff. The picture showing the Gator Bowl, Coliseum, and Wolfson Park really hit home how much the area has been transformed. That picture is ~25 years old and close to 90% of the building pictures have been razed.
I support meaningless jingoistic cliches

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:57:20 AM »
^ I was thinking the same thing.

Very nice article, too!

mbwright

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »
There was also the Jacksonville Barracudas hockey for a while at the arena from 2002-07.   The managing company said it was too much trouble to maintain ice, and do floor changes for other events, among other reasons.  There was a pretty dedicated but small fan base.

pierre

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »
There was also the Jacksonville Barracudas hockey for a while at the arena from 2002-07.   The managing company said it was too much trouble to maintain ice, and do floor changes for other events, among other reasons.  There was a pretty dedicated but small fan base.

The Barracudas games were fun. Not great attendance but it was pretty low level minor league. The Lizard Kings appeared to do well but even they lost millions and eventually moved.

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »
Good stuff. The picture showing the Gator Bowl, Coliseum, and Wolfson Park really hit home how much the area has been transformed. That picture is ~25 years old and close to 90% of the building pictures have been razed.

Did they demo the gator bowl or just add the upper decks when the Jags came to town?  I don't know I didn't live here then.  It looks like the lower bowl is the same?
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

copperfiend

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
This is what was kept

krazeeboi

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
The location of Jacksonville's sports venues, not too far outside the CBD, is very akin to the South Philadelphia Sports Complex:

FSBA

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »
This is what was kept

Actually I think that is showing some of the new construction as well. I believe the only part of the original Gator Bowl was the upper deck that had been built in the mid-80s. The east side of the stadium was completely demoed within weeks of the 93 Gator Bowl.

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »
The location of Jacksonville's sports venues, not too far outside the CBD, is very akin to the South Philadelphia Sports Complex:

except for the part where the Jax. sports complex is about 1 mile from the CBD...while the Philly example is 3-4 miles from the CBD

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
Hard to tell from that pic, but looks even further than 3 to 4 miles

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

No, the Link is about 4 miles from Center City. Imagine if the old Gator Bowl was 4 miles further away from downtown and in 1993 the new owner of the Jax NFL franchise ordered the city to build a new stadium, what would be the ideal location at the time? Or how about now? 

I-10east

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:26:09 AM »
Eh, the infrastructure is already there. Why build the stadium more miles away from the sports complex? 

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 07:16:47 AM »
I think the current location is the best location for the stadium, especially with the arena and baseball stadium right there as well.  I have walked from downtown to the stadiums and it's not that bad.  It has it's own district but yet close enough to DT to feel connected.  I think it's one thing the city of Jacksonville actually got right.
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

FSBA

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »

No, the Link is about 4 miles from Center City. Imagine if the old Gator Bowl was 4 miles further away from downtown and in 1993 the new owner of the Jax NFL franchise ordered the city to build a new stadium, what would be the ideal location at the time? Or how about now?

Give it 10 years or so, I won't be shocked if Kahn demands a stadium be built somewhere off 95 & 295 on the Duval/St. Johns county line.