Author Topic: Witch Hunt to resume shortly - 507 missing debit cards from Mayor Brown officers  (Read 13467 times)

mtraininjax

http://jacksonville.com/news/2015-11-02/story/mayor-lenny-currys-office-says-27000-worth-debit-cards-purchased-under

Mayor Lenny Curry's office says $27,000 worth of debit cards purchased under previous administration are missing
By Nate Monroe Mon, Nov 2, 2015 @ 9:27 am | updated Mon, Nov 2, 2015 @ 9:44 am

More than $27,000 worth of debit cards, purchased by City Hall as part of an employee-recognition program started under former Mayor Alvin Brown, are unaccounted for, according to city officials.

Mayor Lenny Curry’s office says it can’t account for what happened to the 507 missing cards because of shoddy accounting practices under the previous administration.

“We have no idea where they are,” said Marsha Oliver, Curry’s spokeswoman. “We will take a look at how we can ensure the ones that are remaining are used properly and appropriately.”

The cards were purchased from VyStar Credit Union in October 2013. They came in denominations of $100, $50 and $25, and they were kept in a safe in the office of the city’s chief financial officer, who, under Brown, was Ronnie Belton.

The 2013 purchase equated to $34,979.75 — including a $2.75 per-card activation fee.

The city made a separate purchase of 246 cards in 2014. Oliver said all of those cards remain.

It’s unclear what Curry will do in response to the missing cards, and Oliver said he’s still weighing options over what to do with the remaining debit cards.

The 507 cards, totaling $27,425, the city’s can’t account for include:

■ 177 $25 cards.

■ 200 $50 cards.

■ 130 $100 cards.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Tacachale

• Administrator
Why is this a "witch hunt"? Do we not want our $27,000 accounted for?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
Why is this a "witch hunt"? Do we not want our $27,000 accounted for?

Yeah - I think I'd be far more worried if no one cared to investigate this.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

spuwho

This is easy.

Call VyStar and cancel the cards.

strider

Having good accounting is always a good idea.  Will he do the same thing for the misappropriation of federal funds under the direction of Kim Scott, who I believe was actually promoted by his administration?

Kimberly Scott was promoted by Mayor Brown and still holds that position. So far, from the HUD audit, Ms Scott was found to have misused at least 160K (PSOS has documentation indicating that it could come to about a million...) but was promoted by Brown anyway and yes, she still has her position under Mayor Curry.

This is easy.

Call VyStar and cancel the cards.

Certainly the easy way to "account" for the cards that are missing would be to cancel them all. So, reading between the lines leads me to believe they know the funds have been spent.....
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

spuwho

Even if the cards were consumed, you can still collect who used them by the purchase records. If it was over a certain amount, the merchant will still require a signature.

I am just saying its not impossible to find out who used them.

Gunnar

So - why not check what this was spent on ? May be a way to find out who actually used the cards.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

Adam White

• Facebook
...unless they don't know the numbers? I suppose the bank would have that info. But you wonder how good their accounting methods were. Did they have a list of all cards with numbers, etc? Or was it something like x number of $100, y number of $50, etc.

Whatever happened, it is pretty lame.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Gunnar

Even if the cards were consumed, you can still collect who used them by the purchase records. If it was over a certain amount, the merchant will still require a signature.

I am just saying its not impossible to find out who used them.

Depends if the card can be used online, or not (in that case no signature). For some purchases (e.g. subscriptions, hotels and airplane tickets) it's fairly easy to see who used the card, for others it can be trickier but may involve filing charges first (as merchants / acquirers will not just give out data to anyone who asks).

As for the signature - not that useful if it's an anyonymous pre-paid card.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
No charges have been made to the missing cards. Someone may have them but the answer of what to do is simple, cancel the cards, problem solved. 
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

WmNussbaum

Look in John Keane's desk.  :)

RattlerGator

No charges have been made to the missing cards. Someone may have them but the answer of what to do is simple, cancel the cards, problem solved.
I don't know if that *is* problem solved. These cards were presumably provided to public servants -- why aren't they accounted for? Why haven't they been returned? Where in the hell are they? Is everyone now all of a sudden deaf, dumb and blind vis-à-vis these cards?

It seems (and I certainly don't know this) to suggest a certain irresponsibility, doesn't it? If true (irresponsibility is the reason for the inability to account for them), that would not be an unimportant matter IMHO.

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
I don't know if that *is* problem solved. These cards were presumably provided to public servants -- why aren't they accounted for? Why haven't they been returned? Where in the hell are they? Is everyone now all of a sudden deaf, dumb and blind vis-à-vis these cards?

It seems (and I certainly don't know this) to suggest a certain irresponsibility, doesn't it? If true (irresponsibility is the reason for the inability to account for them), that would not be an unimportant matter IMHO.

That is the question which is valid.  Why were they not accounted for?  Answer, Alvin Brown administration. Nuff said!  My guess is that they were handed off or squirreled away for later use by "someone" or "a group of someone's" if their absence was not detected which considering the book keeping flaws at the city until now was totally possible.  Now that they are noted as gone they will not be used no matter who has them.  The safest thing to do is to cancel the cards.  You can bet the person holding them will not step up and say "here they are",  nor will the person or person who knows who has them.   
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Captain Zissou

507 debit cards could be smaller than a shoebox depending on how they are packed.  If they have minimal packaging, they could be as small as two cans of coke.  They could be in the back of a filing cabinet.  If they haven't been spent, just cancel them and move on.

zauzich

• You wish you were me.
My guess is that they were handed off or squirreled away for later use by "someone" or "a group of someone's" if their absence was not detected which considering the book keeping flaws at the city until now was totally possible. [...] Now that they are noted as gone they will not be used no matter who has them. [...] You can bet the person holding them will not step up and say "here they are",  nor will the person or person who knows who has them.   

I was thinking the same thing: Someone is holding on to them hoping that their absence is never discovered and waiting until they think it's safe to use them. I worked for a company in the late 80's that had several hundred dollars worth of gift certificates stolen in similar fashion. When we had finally given up the thief spent them while on trips to another state. The thief would not have been caught except that she happened to use one of the gift certificates in a store where an acquaintance of one of our managers worked and the friend mentioned the employee's purchase in passing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:55:14 PM by zauzich »