Author Topic: Surfer the Bar to replace Freebird  (Read 8703 times)

Downtown Osprey

Re: Surfer the Bar to replace Freebird
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 02:11:55 PM »
I've yet to attend a show at Ponte Vedra Music Hall but I consistently kept seeing that great acts were performing there in a short amount of time. so in reality, it was already pretty much happening and this is the nail in the coffin.

CityLife

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
^St. Johns County administers the venue.

Its ridiculous that COJ has allowed SJC to dominate the local non-country music market, which is what the St. Auggie Amphitheater and PV Music Hall have done. Thanks a lot St. Nicholas....

Captain Zissou

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »
What did St Nick do?

CityLife

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
What did St Nick do?

Fought to shoot down an Ampitheater at Metro Park back in the day.

Crabernacle

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
So, what's the likelihood of the Curry administration being more receptive to building an amphitheater in Jax? I don't hold out much hope, but I'm tired of so many bands passing us up in favor of St. Augustine.   

jaxlore

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »
+1 on the amphitheater but this really was more of a midsized show joint.

I've seen some really good shows here. Would love to see them start to funnel some shows downtown.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »
Sad to hear, but is there any specifice reason why Freebird Live would want or need to sell? Didn't go there much but it was a great place.

With this live music void could there be a possibility of making Snyder Memorial a regular music venue once renovations are done?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 03:56:24 PM »
So, what's the likelihood of the Curry administration being more receptive to building an amphitheater in Jax? I don't hold out much hope, but I'm tired of so many bands passing us up in favor of St. Augustine.   

St. Augustine Amphitheater is one of my pet peeves. The reality is that both that and Ponte Vedra Concert Hall, which are both run by the county, are successful in landing touring acts based on the metro area, not their individual communities. They're close enough to Jax that they can still draw a good crowd. All well and good, but neither of the venues are really set up to help build a good scene. They're just too remote from their communities, let alone the metro as a whole. They're actually very innovative reuses of buildings that are hard to adapt (the old outdoor "Cross and Sword" amphitheater for St. Augustine Amphitheater, a church for PVCH) but beyond bringing in some good acts, they're not doing as much for the local music scene as they would in a better location.

But, because they're run by the county, it would be hard for another venue to compete without similar assistance. I believe the metro is big enough for a lot more venues to thrive, but it's hard for anything to get off the ground.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »
Sad to hear, but is there any specifice reason why Freebird Live would want or need to sell? Didn't go there much but it was a great place.

With this live music void could there be a possibility of making Snyder Memorial a regular music venue once renovations are done?

I think Snyder could make a good music venue, but I don't know the size and layout situation.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Bridges

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
Always thought it would be great if someone would turn PS4 into a music venue. 

There might be some good potential venues over in the Brooklyn/Park St. area.  Some older buildings over there that can be reused and turned into a nice 1000 person venue. 
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »

There might be some good potential venues over in the Brooklyn/Park St. area.  Some older buildings over there that can be reused and turned into a nice 1000 person venue.

If I was a millionaire I'd by PS4 and turn it into a venue called the Devil's School.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »
How many people is the Amphitheater at Unity Plaza supposed to hold?

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »

St. Augustine Amphitheater is one of my pet peeves. The reality is that both that and Ponte Vedra Concert Hall, which are both run by the county, are successful in landing touring acts based on the metro area, not their individual communities. They're close enough to Jax that they can still draw a good crowd. All well and good, but neither of the venues are really set up to help build a good scene. They're just too remote from their communities, let alone the metro as a whole. They're actually very innovative reuses of buildings that are hard to adapt (the old outdoor "Cross and Sword" amphitheater for St. Augustine Amphitheater, a church for PVCH) but beyond bringing in some good acts, they're not doing as much for the local music scene as they would in a better location.

But, because they're run by the county, it would be hard for another venue to compete without similar assistance. I believe the metro is big enough for a lot more venues to thrive, but it's hard for anything to get off the ground.

All right, can we just chill with the St Augustine jealousy? I remember years ago how all these awesome bands and tours would skip N Fla during the prime summer touring season because we lacked an adequate outdoor concert venue that couldn't stay up too late as to not upset the neighbors across the river. St. Augustine just happened to have the hindsight of refurbishing an already existing venue that was underused and in the middle of a state park bothering no one that now brings acts to the region that you would previously have to trek off to Tampa or West Palm Beach to see. So they're leaching on to the big bad Jacksonville SMSA that couldn't get their shit together and refusing to give JAX credit for giving them the market they need to be succesfull, is that what all the hating is about? MAybe they should just retitle the place "The Great Metropolitan Jacksonville Amphitheatre in St. Augustine Florida" to make you all happy?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 05:00:27 PM »

All right, can we just chill with the St Augustine jealousy? I remember years ago how all these awesome bands and tours would skip N Fla during the prime summer touring season because we lacked an adequate outdoor concert venue that couldn't stay up too late as to not upset the neighbors across the river. St. Augustine just happened to have the hindsight of refurbishing an already existing venue that was underused and in the middle of a state park bothering no one that now brings acts to the region that you would previously have to trek off to Tampa or West Palm Beach to see. So they're leaching on to the big bad Jacksonville SMSA that couldn't get their shit together and refusing to give JAX credit for giving them the market they need to be succesfull, is that what all the hating is about? MAybe they should just retitle the place "The Great Metropolitan Jacksonville Amphitheatre in St. Augustine Florida" to make you all happy?

No, for the reasons I gave. The amphitheater is too remote from St. Augustine to have as much impact on the local music scene as a better located venue could (it's not well located even for St. Augustine, it's actually on Anastasia Island in the middle of a residential neighborhood, and it shuts down by 10:30). As I said, it was an impressive adaptive reuse of an old building, and they do get some good shows that might otherwise skip the market. But it doesn't have the impact it could.

camarocane

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »

This would be a badass open air venue!! I wonder how much it would cost to retrofit the school for something like that?