Author Topic: Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach  (Read 16592 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
I think the other myth we need to do is remove this idea (through better architecture) that a building can't both be tall and pedestrian scale.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
I'm not opposed to the 35 foot height restriction in certain areas of the beach.  East of 3rd street between 4th North and South should be pedestrian scale and less tall.  Around the strictly residential streets of Neptune, Atlantic, and Ponte Vedra there should be limits.  Otherwise I think the market should dictate the scope of projects, but zoning should guide those development towards proper street interaction and pedestrian environments.

It (the height restriction) seems to me to be a bit arbitrary and might discourage otherwise appropriate development. In the areas you listed where you suggest there should be restrictions, I imagine that the local zoning boards could, even without a height restriction, ensure that new development fits the surrounding area.
I agree that the same thing could be accomplished without using an outright height restriction. 

FlaBoy

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »
I don't think anyone wants SoFla to come here. But let's be real, the amount of hotels in Jax Beach are unacceptable especially in the "downtown" that Jax Beach has embraced of recent. I don't think a 200 ft building in Neptune is anyone's goal. I also agree, between the beach and 1st, maybe 35 ft makes sense. But on 3rd St., it makes absolutely no sense as long as the development is walkable at the pedestrian level. The lack of hotels at our beaches hurts the whole city of Jacksonville as well. I have had friends come into town wanting to see me and stay at the beach. Instead, because of the lack of rooms, they have to stay in Southside. That is ridiculous. This is also the reason we had cruise ships for the Super Bowl while places like Tampa can handle the capacity. It hurts the whole city and community that there aren't at least 2-3 more nice hotels in the urban area at least. 

Gunnar

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
South Florida is a winter season. Lot's of foreigners and northerners in the winter. JAX beach season is summer. Different crowd level. I agree more hotels is not bad, but it will never be Miami, WPB, etc.

As long as it won't turn into Panama City beach...
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

howfam

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 07:48:42 AM »
I don't think anyone wants SoFla to come here. But let's be real, the amount of hotels in Jax Beach are unacceptable especially in the "downtown" that Jax Beach has embraced of recent. I don't think a 200 ft building in Neptune is anyone's goal. I also agree, between the beach and 1st, maybe 35 ft makes sense. But on 3rd St., it makes absolutely no sense as long as the development is walkable at the pedestrian level. The lack of hotels at our beaches hurts the whole city of Jacksonville as well. I have had friends come into town wanting to see me and stay at the beach. Instead, because of the lack of rooms, they have to stay in Southside. That is ridiculous. This is also the reason we had cruise ships for the Super Bowl while places like Tampa can handle the capacity. It hurts the whole city and community that there aren't at least 2-3 more nice hotels in the urban area at least.

I have nothing against S. Florida. We should be so lucky as to have such nice high rise development. But, if not S. Florida, at least Daytona Beach. DB has done a wonderful job of maintaining walkability along A1A and has provided public access to the actual beach every few blocks between the beautiful highrises. Closest thing we have to S. Fla. within close proximity to Jax that gives a tourist-like atmosphere. We still have a lot to accomplish along those lines here in Jax area.

acme54321

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »
Daytona?  For the love of God, please no. 

You know some people chose to vacation in places that DON'T have the "Florida tacky tourist" vibe? 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:52:25 AM by acme54321 »

howfam

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »
Daytona?  For the love of God, please no. 

You some people chose to vacation in places that DON'T have the "Florida tacky tourist" vibe?

Well if Daytona Beach does have that label, it's not because of the high rise hotels and condos. We need the buildings, not whatever "tacky" elements that might be involved.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
I'll pass on Daytona as well. My company has an office there and I spend a good chunk of my work weeks with clients and projects in the region. Their entire main strip is in need of a makeover, regardless of building heights.  A1A is a mess/ghost town, south of US 92/ISB and even they know A1A north of it is in need of a revamping:

http://www.codb.us/DocumentCenter/View/12303

With that in mind, I wasn't happy about the height limit thing when it passed a decade ago.  I thought it was shortsighted but whatever. Life goes on.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »
We don't have to be anywhere else. We actually have a pretty unique vibe at Jax Beach. If I had to choose somewhere else, I may take a mini-Clearwater Beach but just 2-3 of those hotels near the beach.

acme54321

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
Screw it.  Lets open up some T-Shirt shops.  Maybe some go karts and mini golf too.  Before you know it Senior Frogs will be knocking on Duval's door!  Yee haw.

FlaBoy

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
Screw it.  Lets open up some T-Shirt shops.  Maybe some go karts and mini golf too.  Before you know it Senior Frogs will be knocking on Duval's door!  Yee haw.

I think all of that is in Jax Beach already. Surfer Bar is just our local take on a Senior Frogs type beach bar.

acme54321

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »

I think all of that is in Jax Beach already. Surfer Bar is just our local take on a Senior Frogs type beach bar.

Lol you know what I mean.

howfam

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:16 AM »
The link provided in the first post showed another planned condo called "The Beach House", planned for 1431 1st St, S., to be 11 stories tall; is the project still alive, and when will it start? Does anyone know? 

RatTownRyan

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 05:21:20 PM »
I dont know any real details. There was a redevelopment sign for "Beach House" on that property for the last couple of months but it was taken down about two months ago.

howfam

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
I dont know any real details. There was a redevelopment sign for "Beach House" on that property for the last couple of months but it was taken down about two months ago.

Well, I guess 11 stories was too much for Jax Beach to handle. That's a skyscraper you know?. LOL